Would it make sense to just buy loose speed cloth to cover a dinner table? (1 Viewer)

mcfjack

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I don't have room in my current house for a dedicated poker table but do have a dinner table that can seat 6-8 comfortably. I don't know how consistently I'll get to host but I'm hoping to have the bare minimum to make the game feel something more than shitty (e.g., one of my friends essentially puts a sheet down over two folding tables pushed together and calls it a poker table).

For the table part, then - I was thinking about just buying a bulk stretch of speed cloth to lay down over a table to help give off the feel of a poker game and also to actually make it easier to deal, move chips around, etc. It would also protect the table from chips and such. I could clamp it down on the edges too if it's too loose to really work.

Does this make sense or would it not be worth the trouble?

I use game mats from Game toppers:

https://shop.gametoppersllc.com/collections/game-mats

They come in different sizes and are a bit thicker, so I suspect they're less likely to wrinkle. I think right now they're throwing in a storage bag too, because our game moves around so I'll often bring the mat to someone else's house when they're hosting (no one has a dedicated game table).

Last edited:
The speed cloth is good because it can be pulled taught and stapled. I'd probably go with some type of topper or just a tablecloth. The suited speed cloth would be the worst of both worlds iny my eyes.

I have a home made 49"x97" table and put a sheet of speed cloth over it. I taped all the edges tight under the table.
It actually worked really well and my guys chose to play on that table over the barrington after the 2 table tournament was done because it was bigger and everyone had more room.
I left the speedcloth taped on for about 6 months till I needed it for my garage sale. I'd do that again and recommend it as a quick cheap way to set up an extra table.

Sounds like a perfect scenario for a topper

Paging @rjdev7

IMG_1709.jpeg

I don't have room in my current house for a dedicated poker table but do have a dinner table that can seat 6-8 comfortably. I don't know how consistently I'll get to host but I'm hoping to have the bare minimum to make the game feel something more than shitty (e.g., one of my friends essentially puts a sheet down over two folding tables pushed together and calls it a poker table).

For the table part, then - I was thinking about just buying a bulk stretch of speed cloth to lay down over a table to help give off the feel of a poker game and also to actually make it easier to deal, move chips around, etc. It would also protect the table from chips and such. I could clamp it down on the edges too if it's too loose to really work.

Does this make sense or would it not be worth the trouble?
Before I found this forum, I did exactly as you describe. The cards moved fast and it protected the table. The Barrington sale changed all that.

I’d go the topper route if I were you. You can get it to the size of your table if you want and it at least has a bit of give to it. Speed cloth alone is okay for dealing but needs padding underneath to make it easier to pick up cards without mangling them.

Long before toppers were available (beyond small versions), I used (and still use) speed cloth over a table. Taped it every time I used it, but eventually got a grommet punch to put large eyelets in it and keep it held down to the table with bungee cords.

Works great, but as @Tony_M says, picking up cards off the surface is tricky and really needs some padding. I have used carpet padding under it and that works OK.

Before I made my first topper, I had a piece of thin foam that I would cover with felt, which I draped over the foam and table edges.

Then underneath I used those elastic straps meant for holding sheets onto a mattress to pull it taut.

It wasn’t perfect by any means, but was serviceable for about six months.

A better option is to get a sheet of closed-cell foam, cut it to the size of your table, then spray adhesive some speedcloth or felt to it — leaving about six inches extra on each side so it drapes down over the edge.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom