WORDLE (1 Viewer)

inca911

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
Wordle is a fun Scrabble / Boggle -type logic game, just bought by the New York Times for low 7-figures. There is one puzzle a day that everyone plays at the same time in a shared experience, identifying a simple five letter word. From your first guess of a real word, you get a color response for each letter in your guess by position: black means that letter isn’t in the word, yellow means the letter is part of the word, and green means the letter is in the correct place. It looks like win streaks and attempts needed to solve the puzzle are tracked. So who else is playing?

https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/

9C1C0BE7-2D8D-4BBC-9736-E122FC9823AA.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve played six times with results of 5, 6, 3, 4, 5, 3, always using gained information in subsequent attempts.

A friend posted recently that he has a result of 1, and another of 2, in his first ten tries. Which seems pretty crazy. I’m not counting on either of those scores any time soon.

Do you have an opening word that you use every time?

I have a group of buddies who all play and text results to each other daily. Religiously. Totally addicted. Usually play at midnight, as soon as the new board is available!

Do you have an opening word that you use every time?
Just started playing, here is my starting word and solution for today’s puzzle. Looking to enable my fellow PCFers with a new addiction via this thread. Spoiler tags are key to keep the word secret!

ADDFC837-034F-4105-999C-90E0581D6565.jpeg

Just started playing, here is my starting word and solution for today’s puzzle. Looking to enable my fellow PCFers with a new addiction via this thread. Spoiler tags are key to keep the word secret!

I started with WASTE today and also solved it in three. Yesterday took me five but I made a rookie mistake.

Edited…
Tried to share my results, and my stats, but it revealed too much.

1–> 0
2 -> 0
3 -> 8
4 -> 7
5 -> 1
6 -> 1

100% solved (17/17)

Been playing for a month or so. Totally addicted. Usually start with a RSTNLE-type word for maximum likelihood of hitting letters, but the puzzle creator has accounted for that a bit, so not always effective.

Btw, watch out for the rare times there is a repeated letter. No way to know that, other than trial and error.

Did today’s in three.

my buddy asked me if i played this a few weeks ago because he knows i like the NYT mini crossword. i assumed it was an app, so i downloaded the first one i found, and it was some stupid candy crush type of game, so i forgot all about it. but recently i've been seeing people post their results, and based on what i played, i had absolutely no clue what they meant. this thread finally put the last piece of the puzzle in place for me, so thanks!

i have now finally tried the correct game. i got today's in 5, but in my defense, it took me 3 lines to sort out the rules - i kept putting the right letter/wrong place letters in the same position until a green finally popped up and i understood.

from where do you guys get the clean-looking results pictures?

Wordle 227 5/6

⬛⬛
⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛
⬛

I stared last week. It very fun.

Been hearing about it. Just went to the link. What a great idea. No login, how does it track you and keep running results?

I enjoy Wordle. Here are a couple of other related sites you might also enjoy:

Word Master - same game, but you can play as often as you like: https://octokatherine.github.io/word-master/

Absurdle - same game, but the game cheats (in a certain sense). Each time your guess could narrow the target word down into multiple different possibilities, the game chooses a result that narrows it down the least, so that it's as if when you play you are always the most unlucky with your guesses as it is possible to be. https://qntm.org/files/absurdle/absurdle.html

There's a few different ways you can approach Wordle. One is to identify a particular starting word or set of starting words and always follow that strategy. For example, exhaustive simulation has determined that SALET is the optimal starting word, although lots of people have their own different favorites. ADIEU is a good one, as mentioned. I sometimes like to open with ITCHY LUNAR DOPES, which uses the top fifteen letters by frequency out of the complete Wordle word list. These strategies are good for ensuring you can solve the puzzle. SALET provides the largest edge to anyone who can process the entire word list algorithmically ; ADIEU is good for the way most people think about word structure; and ITCHY LUNAR DOPES nearly guarantees a win in four or five guesses but precludes a lucky win in one, two, or three guesses.

... but I think fixed strategies like these also take a bit of the fun and challenge out of it. I prefer starting with a randomly chosen word each time; I'll let my mind wander and pick some word that fits my mood at the moment. The puzzle then becomes not only can you find the target word, but can you find good clue words as well? I'll even go so far as to avoid using good clue words that I've used too frequently in the past! POINT, POUND, and ROUTE are often available as second or third guesses no matter what my first guess is, and they are very strong, but I've used them so much that I try not to use them any more. I get a lot of satisfaction at finding a good clue that fits with my previous guesses, fits with the results so far, and that I haven't used before! It makes me feel like I won a prize for being clever, which of course is very gratifying even if it's not remotely true. :)

My wife and I Worlde together, and last night I said "ok babe, what word do you want to start with?" It was dark in our room as she was finding her way to bed and she goes, "uh, light?" for me to turn on a light for her. I ignored her request and just put it into Worlde, and sure enough, our first solve in 1. We have peaked.

My wife and I Worlde together, and last night I said "ok babe, what word do you want to start with?" It was dark in our room as she was finding her way to bed and she goes, "uh, light?" for me to turn on a light for her. I ignored her request and just put it into Worlde, and sure enough, our first solve in 1. We have peaked.

Retire at the top!

I start with STOUP (on brand...my favorite local brewery)

Wordle archive: https://www.devangthakkar.com/wordle_archive/

My wife likes to start with STEAM. I prefer to go “on-brand” with my favorite hobby and use POKER as my starting word, even though it’s not optimal. Or MOIST because it makes people uncomfortable. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
You should use the word PENIS.

It’s not easy to type that sentence without ending up in the out of context thread. But it will get redacted to look dirty anyway which is pretty childish. It’s one thing to quote someone, but to pick five words out of a paragraph because they sound dirty when said together is pretty elementary school. But hey, world we live in, what you gonna do?

Reminds me of this old board game I used to play, only picked up wordle last week View attachment 856756

There is this place down in Lincoln, RI called Timezone (it is in the same facility as R1 Indoor Carting and some other things). It is basically 25 mini escape rooms, and you have 90 minutes to compete for the best score. Anyway one of them was basically a giant Mastermind board and I was so excited. But the whole thing was a blast in general, I highly recommend it - my wife got a groupon so we only paid like $60 for 4 of us.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom