Windwalker’s Chipping Journey in Pr0n0grAph1C Detail (11 Viewers)

I think there's a nice batch of the blue Normandie 50 cent small crowns on eBay right now. Yep, just checked.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185113422328
There are some weird colors in those photos, but they would make a nice addition to that Normandie set regardless.
Nice, but looks like the condition is too used to work with WW's existing $.50s (and the rest of the set).

I don’t even like TRK and these are still insane to me.
1634768897691.gif

I think it’s just personal preference.
- I tend to the think the outer circles that rim THCs provide balance and harmony to the mold.
- RHCs feel “incomplete” to me for that reason.
- RHCs have the top hat and cane close enough to the edges that a lot of use could see chipping into the mold that’s unsightly.
Can confirm. Same feelings. I'd use more words and alot more swearing. But he did the job in that blurb.

Been trying to get @pacmartine to sell me his 80 NL/NC $1ks for a while, but Phil has them locked in stone like Excalibur. :)

I had to improvise, and after a ton of searching, I finally have a TRK set that can play into a $50/100 NLHE game, with 7 racks of minty $500 chips.

View attachment 797949

Seeing those normandies there breaks my heart

Took @davislane ’s advice to heart about taking inventory because the collection was getting unwieldy, and have begun a multi-month project to categorize, index, document, grade and organize every chip I own.

Hired a helper today, and spent the better part of the afternoon explaining how to sort and organize. Unfortunately, grading will not be something I can easily teach (I’m probably novice at it myself), so will have to attack that myself once things get inventoried, cataloged and organized.

Will post progress pictures. These are the contents of approx 1.5 cabinets. Many more to go. :vomit:

BF95948A-6B22-4140-A1D9-360DA2E862E7.jpeg

Took @davislane ’s advice to heart about taking inventory because the collection was getting unwieldy, and have begun a multi-month project to categorize, index, document, grade and organize every chip I own.

Hired a helper today, and spent the better part of the afternoon explaining how to sort and organize. Unfortunately, grading will not be something I can easily teach (I’m probably novice at it myself), so will have to attack that myself once things get inventoried, cataloged and organized.

Will post progress pictures. These are the contents of approx 1.5 cabinets. Many more to go. :vomit:

View attachment 798634
Don't suppose any of those Sunset Beach $20s are going spare to go with these?

Screenshot_2021-10-19-00-41-54-45_45e686c594768066ad9911d54d96f72b.jpg

View attachment 798634
you are welcome and Im ready for you to show us the stuff we havent seen yet! well at least show me since I am responsible for this important process being undertaken. :cool

View attachment 798634
That sounds like a lot of work! Better to just post them in the classified...

I think we all need pic and resume of helper in case we need to do this with our own collections. I assume you’re providing a professional reference, Krish.

So, it happened sooner and more suddenly than I thought.

Even though I'm currently (with paid intern) in the process of cataloging and documenting my collection, I am engulfed with a bout of what I can only describe as "chipping anhedonia". The excitement of a new set or discovery doesn't seem to bring about the same joy, and while I used to refresh the classifieds with the fervent vigor of a caged bull, I am so less inclined to do so nowadays.

In speaking with a friend about it, it’s possible that I got to the depths of my collection too quickly; and upon reflection, it's possible that I'm just somewhat bored with what's available...but it eventually led to the question of what I'm actually going to do with all these chips. It’s also entirely possible that a combination of work stress and too much poker has created a bit of “enough is enough” syndrome.

I still love hosting games with different sets, but the subset of players who enjoy them as much as I do are infinitesimally small, compared to the gambling degens who I tend to play with week after week; which is probably why I like meetups so much, its a chance to sit with like-minded people and play with, discuss and ogle over amazing chippies.

I've seen notes from people like @Perthmike and others who speak of a similar decline in passion, but that usually comes after years of doing it. Didn't think it would happen quite so quickly for me. While I still love them, I can feel myself making excuses when I'm about to take on a difficult / extensive pr0n shoot, for example, and that wasn't the way I was just a few months ago.

I'm hoping @k9dr 's SQM meetup will re-energize me some, or perhaps these lulls are common, and the love does come in peaks and valleys.

Only posting this because this thread was started to document my chipping journey, and I think this lull is a worthwhile event to notate and ponder over.

More to come, I suppose.

Last edited:

Even though I'm currently (with paid intern) in the process of cataloging and documenting my collection, I am engulfed with a bout of what I can only describe as "chipping anhedonia". The excitement of a new set or discovery doesn't seem to bring about the same joy, and while I used to refresh the classifieds with the fervent vigor of a caged bull, I am so less inclined to do so nowadays.

In speaking with a friend about it, its possible that I got to the depths of my collection too quickly; in reflecting about it, it's possible that I'm just somewhat bored with what's available...but it eventually led to the question of what I'm actually going to do with all these chips. It’s also entirely possible that a combination of work stress and too much poker has created a bit of “enough is enough” syndrome.

I still love hosting games with different sets, but the subset of players who enjoy them as much as I do are infinitesimally small, compared to the gambling degens who I tend to play with week after week; which is probably why I like meetups so much, its a chance to sit with like-minded people and play with, discuss and ogle over amazing chippies.

I've seen notes from people like @Perthmike and others who speak of a similar decline in passion, but that usually comes after years of doing it. Didn't think it would happen quite so quickly for me. While I still love them, I can feel myself making excuses when I'm about to a difficult / extensive pr0n shoot, for example, and that wasn't the way I was just a few months ago.

I'm hoping @k9dr 's SQM meetup will re-energize me some, or perhaps these lulls are common, and the love does come in peaks and valleys.

Only posting this because this thread was started to document my chipping journey, and I think this lull is a worthwhile event to notate and ponder over.

More to come, I suppose.
It happens. Desire and passion for any hobby tends to be transient and comes and goes with the wind. Something will pull you back in, whether it's designing a custom set, organizing or participating in group buys, or attending meet ups, which you touched on.

I hit a similar wall after just six months in the hobby, but then I discovered THC molded Paulsons :p

It only took me another two years, but I'm finally at the point where, short of getting in on the ground level of a Paulson NAGB, I have nothing else to accomplish in terms of acquiring chip sets. I've got Paulson clays, CPC clays, BCC clays, ABC/BRPRO ceramics, and Sunfly hybrids. A nice, eclectic mix in which I can put something into play and it'll feel fresh every single game with the rotation that I have. At the end of the day, my continued and lingering interest in the hobby is going to be in buying up some more accessories that I probably don't need, buying more card set ups, and helping others with their own custom designs. As a father of two small kids, attending meetups except for the local one every year is going to be tricky for the next little while. That's what keeps the fire burning for lots of the older and more tenured members here, I think.

In speaking with a friend about it, it’s possible that I got to the depths of my collection too quickly; and upon reflection, it's possible that I'm just somewhat bored with what's available...but it eventually led to the question of what I'm actually going to do with all these chips. It’s also entirely possible that a combination of work stress and too much poker has created a bit of “enough is enough” syndrome.

I've seen notes from people like @Perthmike and others who speak of a similar decline in passion, but that usually comes after years of doing it. Didn't think it would happen quite so quickly for me. While I still love them, I can feel myself making excuses when I'm about to take on a difficult / extensive pr0n shoot, for example, and that wasn't the way I was just a few months ago.

More to come, I suppose.
October 24-29th = historically terrible week, confirmed.

More to come, I suppose.
I know that (on a much smaller scale), this has happened to me at least twice since I joined PCF. I like the clinical term anhedonia, because that is what it felt like to me. For the first time since the first year that I joined/manically refreshed, I had no energy and couldn't find the joy in looking at the classifieds or even cheering others on who were building awesome sets of their own. Then, somewhat surprisingly (although perhaps it shouldn't have been), I rediscovered the passion again. I did sell off a bunch of sets and singles in between and found new projects that animated me, but it did return. Several months later, another dip and the same feelings again. It led to me thinking "what am I even doing with all of these chips in my apartment, this is just insane." Eventually though, it passed as I realized just how much I appreciated the work that had gone into putting together my collection. Hopefully this is just a temporary valley in a longer journey that continues to bring excitement/joy. I imagine this is a cycle that many of us go through. As long as you keep hosting and meeting others at meetups, it can't help but keep you going imo. Once hosting stops... that's when the real trouble begins.

More to come, I suppose.
"So, it happened sooner and more suddenly than I thought."

When I read this, I thought you were referring to having pulled off a NAGB — and that this post was going to be the big reveal!

On a serious note, however, this is clearly a pretty common feeling for those that enjoy playing poker more than the chips themselves.

Don't get me wrong: I absolutely love chipping.

I love actually playing poker more though; meaning there's only so much joy I can get from acquiring different sets of chips unless they are being put in play frequently.

@Windwalker Watching you collect your sets (and playing at the Hustler), it's obvious your bank roll (and life roll in general) are in a different class than most people (even on PCF). Assuming your usual gambling degen crew are of similar socioeconomic status, most likely they have the means to pickup whatever non-rare chips/sets they want (as you have), so it makes sense that they're not as interested in the chips as the gambling (unless they get bit by the chipping bug too).

Have you hosted games just for fellow chippers in the past? One potential hurdle is that the stakes would likely have to be much lower than what you're used to playing, like $1/$1 (or if you want to break in some fracs). Or give your tournament sets a chance on the felt and have relatively modest entry fees.

Speaking selfishly as someone who lives in L.A. and would love to meet you and other chippers and talk and get a chance to learn more about the rabbit hole I only recently fell into, would be great to play with chipping enthusiasts without breaking the bank, more for the love of the chips and playing, than making (or losing) a ton of money.

Ooof. A rough feeling to be sure.

I sympathize. My own chipping journey has been much smaller in scale, but I'm feeling something similar... and on about the same schedule, too.

Hang in there.

@Windwalker Watching you collect your sets (and playing at the Hustler), it's obvious your bank roll (and life roll in general) are in a different class than most people (even on PCF). Assuming your usual gambling degen crew are of similar socioeconomic status, most likely they have the means to pickup whatever non-rare chips/sets they want (as you have), so it makes sense that they're not as interested in the chips as the gambling (unless they get bit by the chipping bug too).

Have you hosted games just for fellow chippers in the past? One potential hurdle is that the stakes would likely have to be much lower than what you're used to playing, like $1/$1 (or if you want to break in some fracs). Or give your tournament sets a chance on the felt and have relatively modest entry fees.

Speaking selfishly as someone who lives in L.A. and would love to meet chippers and talk and get a chance to learn more about the rabbit hole I only recently fell into, would be great to play with you and other enthusiasts without breaking the bank, more for the love of the chips and playing, than making (or losing) a ton of money.
he has, quite a few times now. still waiting for our next game Krish! haha

Well there’s one sure fire way of getting through this:

Hosting the most epic meet-up in PCF history. It would surely take a team but rent out a space, get a bunch of sets in play, bring the entire community (a lot at least) together like no other meet-up could and give yourself and everybody else a chance to meet great people, share our degenerate love of clay (and plastic), and play with some epic chips.

We’ve all had the pleasure of watching your collecting feats over your time on PCF. Imagine how cool it would be for everybody to experience putting those chips in play together.

Just my 2¢ from my own regulars not really appreciating the chips they’re playing with while they’re at my games. Getting to meet @Chicken Rob and @TKO briefly and chat about various chipping minutia was all the reassurance I needed that PCF was the perfect community for me to be part of.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom