Why is baseball the best sport on the planet? Discuss. (5 Viewers)

Baseball is a game. It's not a sport.

The participants are not athletes. They have very specific talents for sure. But they're not athletes. Their athletic prowess is on par with a golfer, curler, or a guy playing darts.

You throw together a group of participants from each: baseball, basketball, football, and hockey. Test their athletic capabilities in terms of strength, endurance, etc. The baseball player will come in dead last every single time.

My only issue with baseball is that being a Pirate fan, the best I have to look forward to each season is the hope they are not eliminated from playoff contention before the all star break. :LOL: :laugh: :unsure: :cry:
Your farm system has produced some of the greatest players playing today though. I mean none of them actually play for the Pirates, but still!

The participants are not athletes. They have very specific talents for sure. But they're not athletes. Their athletic prowess is on par with a golfer, curler, or a guy playing darts.

You throw together a group of participants from each: baseball, basketball, football, and hockey. Test their athletic capabilities in terms of strength, endurance, etc. The baseball player will come in dead last every single time.

Would love to see you stand in the box against Verlander. LOL, that would be hilarious. You might wet yourself.

By this logic all American sports are just games. None could come close to completing the Tour de France.

By this logic all American sports are just games. None could come close to completing the Tour de France.
On my way!
1679935593906.gif

(This should be in the Olympics by the way)

Would love to see you stand in the box against Verlander. LOL, that would be hilarious. You might wet yourself.

Would be as fun as watching you spar with Valentina Shevchenko? That wouldn't be funny. You'd probably be physically maimed for the rest of your life. She'd knock you silly or choke you to the point where you would actually piss and crap yourself.

Hell, she'd do this to your Verlander fellow.

I loved watching the tour when I was a kid and LeMond and Armstrong were pissing off the world. But pedaling a bike for 200 miles a day through the mountains for a month is kind of dumb. In the same way marathons are dumb, except far worse. I take nothing away from endurance athletes- they do stuff nobody else can do. But it takes a special kind of crazy.

I heard an interview with a guy who supported the use of steroids and he used the Tour as an example. He said those guys lose a measurable and significant amount of bone density over the course of the Tour. Said using steroids would actually be much healthier for them. I don’t know if he was full of crap or not, but I was convinced. Of course the wiser path would probably be if they chose not to ride.

Would be as fun as watching you spar with Valentina Shevchenko? That wouldn't be funny. You'd probably be physically maimed for the rest of your life. She'd knock you silly or choke you to the point where you would actually piss and crap yourself.

Hell, she'd do this to your Verlander fellow.
I have no idea what this person is...but I didn't insult her athleticism, as you did of all baseball players.

Also, baseball rarely requires any physical exertion for prolonged periods of time.

The only time you'll see a ball player sweat is because of the temperature.

Is that your definition of an athlete? Hm. OK.

So by your definition, should Mr. Universe be considered the best athlete in the world? Don’t hate on baseball because there happen to be a few chubby guys who can do it well. Most of those guys are in great shape and most of them have to hone their skills for years in the minor leagues before they can play in the majors.

So by your definition, should Mr. Universe be considered the best athlete in the world? Don’t hate on baseball because there happen to be a few chubby guys who can do it well. Most of those guys are in great shape and most of them have to hone their skills for years in the minor leagues before they can play in the majors.
Um no. That's not even a good example.

In the world of bodybuilding, the Universe competition is for amateurs.

Mr Olympia would be the top competition.

Bodybuilders are also not athletes. Body building is not a sport.

I loved watching the tour when I was a kid and LeMond and Armstrong were pissing off the world. But pedaling a bike for 200 miles a day through the mountains for a month is kind of dumb. In the same way marathons are dumb, except far worse. I take nothing away from endurance athletes- they do stuff nobody else can do. But it takes a special kind of crazy.

I heard an interview with a guy who supported the use of steroids and he used the Tour as an example. He said those guys lose a measurable and significant amount of bone density over the course of the Tour. Said using steroids would actually be much healthier for them. I don’t know if he was full of crap or not, but I was convinced. Of course the wiser path would probably be if they chose not to ride.
Not to derail thread but I think you're referring to blood doping (epo) not steroids. Can actually be done safely btw. Also the crazy thing about the tour is that it's not 1 day. It's 3 weeks!!

Exactly. Baseball is not a sport. Hence ball players are not athletes.

There are exceptions though. When some athletes decided to participate in the game of baseball as a side hustle. Like Bo Jackson or Deion Sanders.
Did you choose not to include one of the greatest athletes of all time that also had a stint as a baseball player? Just curious lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom