Why is baseball the best sport on the planet? Discuss. (6 Viewers)

So let's have your definitions of "game" and "sport".

Oh, wait -- you're from Alabama. Never mind.
Sport:
Must require a human interaction/intervention by way of physical power and finesse. Physical contact. One way or another, a human must be allowed and encouraged to fuck you up in your goal to score.

Example, if you were to attempt to hit the ball, and run to a base, I’d consider it a sport if I were allowed to skull fuck and dominate you into the ground, and score a point for my team in the process. But in a game, you will cry foul, and I’d get in trouble. Game VS Sport.

Alabama comment: Good one. Original. Applause.

I'm indifferent on the new rules. Giving it a season before I decide. However, if I became evil dictator of the MLB, below would be instant changes.

- DH is gone.
- Games shortened to 8, maybe 7 innings.
- Season is shortened to 150 games ( likely even less ).
- Every team plays every team each season. MLB scheduling is the dumbest thing ever created in sports. Play 100+ games a year and fans do not get the chance to see every team/player?

Baseball gives both teams the same number of opportunities - 27 outs. There’s no taking a knee to run out a clock to secure a win. No fouling to stop the clock in the hopes that we may get the ball back to try to score.

Winning or losing, you must give the other man his chance.

The home team gets 27 chances. The away team gets 27 chances.

I can’t call a timeout to draw up a play for my best player. If the 7th guy in the lineup is at the plate with the game on the line, he’s the guy we have to put our faith in.

Let’s not forget that the season begins every Spring. And just like Spring, the new baseball season brings with it hope and optimism. A fresh slate that marks the end of a cold winter and the beginning of warmer, sunnier days.

"It's a beautiful day for a ballgame. Let's play two today!" - Ernie Banks

Any activety where you can compete at a high level looking like this, isn’t a sport. Comparable with bowling or dart. *Ducks

D19AD9DF-5D0C-42D0-9C4A-D29922C746AB.jpeg

My only issue with baseball is that being a Pirate fan, the best I have to look forward to each season is the hope they are not eliminated from playoff contention before the all star break. :LOL: :laugh: :unsure: :cry:

Yes but you can take concession in the fact that you have one of THE nicest stadiums in all of baseball, such a great place to watch a game!

Any activety where you can compete at a high level looking like this, isn’t a sport. Comparable with bowling or dart. *Ducks

View attachment 1107166

Haters gonna hate.....

View attachment 1107166
That guy made a hundred and seventeen million dollars activing that activity.

Also I find it a little ironic that we’re all here for poker. An activity where guys are typically so fat that we debate whether we need a nine foot table or a ten foot table to accommodate 9 guys.

Yes but you can take concession in the fact that you have one of THE nicest stadiums in all of baseball, such a great place to watch a game!

This is true. While I have not been to every MLB stadium, I have been to quite a few of them and nothing compares to PNC that I have seen yet.

Baseball isn’t my favorite sport, but I’m lucky to spend a lot of time around it (and softball too) due to my job.

I will say though that baseball and softball diamonds are absolutely unrivaled when it comes to beauty. Football fields, rinks, and arenas can’t compete against chalk lines, green grass, clay infields, and bases. It’s not close.

F37BFAD8-14AA-4853-AA65-62BF9BC991D3.jpeg

This is true. While I have not been to every MLB stadium, I have been to quite a few of them and nothing compares to PNC that I have seen yet.
Same here. Camden Yards is up there as well and I do really like the new Citi Field in NY, but with the detailed steel architecture, old school vibe and river backdrop, PNC is my current favorite.

That guy made a hundred and seventeen million dollars activing that activity.

Also I find it a little ironic that we’re all here for poker. An activity where guys are typically so fat that we debate whether we need a nine foot table or a ten foot table to accommodate 9 guys.
$117,000,000 because people pay $65 a seat to take selfies while eating churros.

Baseball is a great past time. It (and poker) hardly count as sports. But hey, if you want to do something where you hardly have to pay attention and can do something else completely, baseball is #1.

$117,000,000 because people pay $65 a seat to take selfies while eating churros.

Baseball is a great past time. It (and poker) hardly count as sports. But hey, if you want to do something where you hardly have to pay attention and can do something else completely, baseball is #1.
You can grumble about it any way you want, but more people go to a Major League Baseball game every year than any other American sport.

I'm indifferent on the new rules. Giving it a season before I decide. However, if I became evil dictator of the MLB, below would be instant changes.

- DH is gone.
- Every team plays every team each season. MLB scheduling is the dumbest thing ever created in sports. Play 100+ games a year and fans do not get the chance to see every team/player?

Baseball is the best but they are doing their best to ruin it by making all these rule changes to try and speed up the game to modernize for the microwave society of today. DH across the board now (pitchers don't hit unless you are Ohtani), extra inning rules (free runner on 2nd, phhht), pitch/hitter clocks (holding on runners is becoming impossible). Removes a lot of the strategy of the game. Yes it's a slow game with no time clock, was created that way and worked fine that way for years.
I don't think they are trying to ruin/modernize it as much as take it back to where it use to be. 50 years ago you didn't see players going through a 5 minute ritual of adjusting every glove, elbow protector, jock, then do the superstition kissing of necklace medallion/fingers to point to the sky to some ancestor/making the cross on their chest twice before stepping back in. The length of games have grown over the years because of things like this.

I don't like the new clock. Agree that the game should move along a little bit faster, but a clock is just kinda opposite of everything that is wonderful about baseball.
Clock only became necessary because over paid athletes like the face time that allows them to build their brand at the expense of the fan and the game. Maybe it moves the pendulum back in the direction to where games use to be played in less time.

- DH is gone.
Can't get with anything less than 9 innings, but, the amount of games needs to be shortened. And definitely every team should play each other in a season, at least once.

Baseball is great because it's a good time to socialize at a sporting event, where 100% concentration doesn't have to be on the field constantly. You know you have time between pitches and innings to talk, go get beers and dogs. It encourages socializing at the park, which I've always enjoyed.

That’s the the beauty of baseball though. You have Bartolo and you have Giancarlo “Perthmike” Stanton.
This isn’t necessarily unique to baseball. Both basketball and football among others also have dramatically different sized athletes playing the same game - point guard vs center, or receiver/corner vs offensive line all represent similar extremes as Altuve vs Judge. @Eriks

This isn’t necessarily unique to baseball. Both basketball and football among others also have dramatically different sized athletes playing the same game - point guard vs center, or receiver/corner vs offensive line all represent similar extremes as Altuve vs Judge. @Eriks
But in baseball the different sized athlete can play every position....

You can grumble about it any way you want, but more people go to a Major League Baseball game every year than any other American sport.
I called it great. Even called it #1. Hardly a grumble.

However, if you want to really count numbers, the attendance of the 2022 World Series was 265,000. The attendance for the US Open (Tennis) was 549,657.

I guess tennis is twice as good as baseball?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom