Why is baseball the best sport on the planet? Discuss. (5 Viewers)

Uh, opening day was last week in South Korea! :ninja:
Saw the highlights but between the betting scandal and being on in the wee hours of the morning just adds to the lack of excitement for this season

IMG_0938.jpeg

Saw the highlights but between the betting scandal and being on in the wee hours of the morning just adds to the lack of excitement for this season
The second game got me all kinds a frustrated that the Pads went back to spring training for another week and just had their third game today. (I’m a Padres fan.)

IMHO… Tony Gwynn was the greatest hitter of our generation. Boggs was great, Gwynn was another level. …. And I’m a Red Sox fan
I bought my 1st car & drove it 450 miles to Jack Murphy/San Diego to see the last game of the 1989 regular season. Will Clark & Tony Gwynn were tied for the batting title going into that game.

Will's swing was pretty but Tony won
the day.

Watching AL pitchers take hacks was one of the great joys of a season. Product is much worse now imo
1st Rule in Bsseball: 9 vs. 9

*Mad Bum hitting a Grand SLAM on Opening Day
*Mad Bum walking off Chapman after being down 0-2
*Mad Bum going yard TWICE vs. Clayton Kershaw

Seems like an appropriate forum to give my Ohtani thoughts since I see people discussing it lol

That Manfred didn’t immediately suspend him indefinitely pending investigation is a black mark on the sport and Manfred’s already garbage legacy. Historically, there were two things that were always grounds for being banned from baseball: betting on baseball in any capacity, and associating with illegal gamblers. The idea was always to maintain integrity of the game, both by preventing players from betting themselves and by preventing the seedy underworld influence from permeating the game (see 1919 Black Sox, allegedly).

Up until Ohtani’s team realized that admitting he wired 500k (twice) to a man he knew was an illegal bookie was a violation of federal law, they conceded that Ohtani made/was present for the making of the payments. Then—and only then—did they come out with “theft” (while Ippei was confirming the prior story to ESPN).

The payments in question were made in September/Oct, around playoff time. By nature of Ippei’s position, he got every piece of information meant for Ohtani—presumably through contract negotiations too. The idea that Ohtani knew the team employee closest to him was millions in debt to an illegal bookie and kept him around in a super meaningful way (f’n dugout access!) is, to me, an instant ban if proven. Manfred cannot let this be swept under the rug, but I fear it will be. In the modern era of legal gambling and MLB/sportbook partnerships, I think there should be a Gambling Gestapo established by the MLB. It will only get worse.
Being originally from LA, I am a lifelong Dodger fan. Having said that, I would be willing to bet (intended) Ohtani gets off with a mere slap on the wrist at best, and it’s a true shame.

I don't remember that. He's been begging to get into the hall of fame for as long as I can remember. Regardless, Curt Schilling asked to be taken off the ballot. Doesn't mean he doesn't belong. He's just the victim of his own big mouth and politics.
Yep, if he was a “tolerant,” his politics wouldn’t make a damn bit of difference.

Yep, if he was a “tolerant,” his politics wouldn’t make a damn bit of difference.
Curt Schilling tried his level set best to actually fucking bankrupt Rhode Island. Stop bringing left vs right into every thread you fucking fossil.

Curt Schilling tried his level set best to actually fucking bankrupt Rhode Island. Stop bringing left vs right into every thread you fucking fossil.
Did I bring it up, you dolt? Open your fucking eyes and take it all in, not only what you want, you fucking ostrich.

Did I bring it up, you dolt? Open your fucking eyes and take it all in, not only what you want, you fucking ostrich.
You: “Yep, if he was a “tolerant,” his politics wouldn’t make a damn bit of difference”.

I did LOL at ostrich though. I’ve never been called that before.

I was sitting at the season opener of the Phillies and thought about this thread.

I watch a lot of baseball….but almost exclusively because my two sons play it most of the year. Baseball is NOT the greatest game ever invented…football is.

Watching the Phillies fall apart in the 8th inning reminded me of dozens of little league travel games I have watched. The major fundamental issue with baseball is that it is disproportionately dependent on the depth and talent of one position …pitching. I’ve had to watch (both sides) sooo many games that were competitive until they ran out of pitchers. It’s so frustrating. The Phillies were leading most of the game and then gave up 8 runs in one inning because of a shitty pitcher. It reminded me on my boys games.

Way too many games my boys have played in have drastically changed in the last two innings. It’s very frustrating to watch when you are on the losing side and feels shallow and empty when you are on the winning side

Football on the other hand is the ultimate team sport. Every position has to be playing together for the team to succeed. While the QB is the most important position, if the rest of the team is playing well, the team can win with just an average QB.

I was sitting at the season opener of the Phillies and thought about this thread.

I watch a lot of baseball….but almost exclusively because my two sons play it most of the year. Baseball is NOT the greatest game ever invented…football is.

Watching the Phillies fall apart in the 8th inning reminded me of dozens of little league travel games I have watched. The major fundamental issue with baseball is that it is disproportionately dependent on the depth and talent of one position …pitching. I’ve had to watch (both sides) sooo many games that were competitive until they ran out of pitchers. It’s so frustrating. The Phillies were leading most of the game and then gave up 8 runs in one inning because of a shitty pitcher. It reminded me on my boys games.

Way too many games my boys have played in have drastically changed in the last two innings. It’s very frustrating to watch when you are on the losing side and feels shallow and empty when you are on the winning side

Football on the other hand is the ultimate team sport. Every position has to be playing together for the team to succeed. While the QB is the most important position, if the rest of the team is playing well, the team can win with just an average QB.
Blah blah blah phuk phillie & tell that to Brock Purdy & the 49ers.

Football IS entertaining but to say it's the ultimate team sport is crap. They're not even playing the same game!!!

Some guys are playing 2 hand touch while others are doing all the work in the trenches. Then some other guy sitting on the bench all day comes in & decides the game by kicking a god damn field goal?!?

Basketball, hockey, volleyball & even swimming are all better team sports than football...

Blah blah blah phuk phillie & tell that to Brock Purdy & the 49ers.

Football IS entertaining but to say it's the ultimate team sport is crap. They're not even playing the same game!!!

Some guys are playing 2 hand touch while others are doing all the work in the trenches. Then some other guy sitting on the bench all day comes in & decides the game by kicking a god damn field goal?!?

Basketball, hockey, volleyball & even swimming are all better team sports than football...
1711854452787.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom