Why is baseball the best sport on the planet? Discuss. (1 Viewer)

Baseball is one of the worst sports on the planet because it takes 18 players for a game.

However, flashing back to my childhood -- as kids, did any of you ever play "baseball" with just a few guys per side -- backstop instead of a catcher, pitchers from the team at bat,, single-field (left or right) hitting, throwing to the mound for put-outs instead of first base, and "invisible runners"?

We did that all the time ... especially after we found out that the tree we were using as first base was poison sumac.

Baseball is one of the worst sports on the planet because it takes 18 players for a game.

However, flashing back to my childhood -- as kids, did any of you ever play "baseball" with just a few guys per side -- backstop instead of a catcher, pitchers from the team at bat,, single-field (left or right) hitting, throwing to the mound for put-outs instead of first base, and "invisible runners"?

We did that all the time ... especially after we found out that the tree we were using as first base was poison sumac.
Myself and 2 buddies played 2-3 per week with a broken wood bat from a Frederick Keys minor league player and tennis balls. 1 pitcher, 1 batter, 1 outfielder. Some of the best days of my youth

Mini-frog aka aria is 6 outs and 4 run lead away from going 3 for 3 lifetime with the rangers

Let’s go rangers
image.jpg

My Yankees uselessly beat the D-Backs tonight but I’m holding out hope for the Snakes to make the playoffs and go to a couple games.

R.I.P. Brooksy! Phenomenal player, even better human being
I got to meet Brooks when I was a kid. I was a third baseman when I was much younger and skinnier. He gave me a few pointers.

I didn't fully appreciate that day until much later. I got to spend a couple hours with Stan Musial back then too. I wish I could transport back in time. They were both class acts.

I got to meet Brooks when I was a kid. I was a third baseman when I was much younger and skinnier. He gave me a few pointers.

I didn't fully appreciate that day until much later. I got to spend a couple hours with Stan Musial back then too. I wish I could transport back in time. They were both class acts.
Wow, what an awesome experience! Brooks was the Gold-Standard at 3rd base.

RIP

Very subjective topic and far too many posts to read on something I'm not too interested in (therefore haven't read all your posts). That said, my two cents....
I'm not American and don't know much about baseball, and the MLB, although I have once been to a Texas Rangers game many years ago. Personally I much prefer the NFL. I've been a long time fan of the NFL. I'm glad to see the expansion of the NFL to England, Mexico and now Germany too. I don't think baseball has the a bigger world-wide appeal, except of course in Japan.
Anyway, my vote for best sport on the planet.... Chess!!! (not really but I do enjoy a game now and then).

Very subjective topic and far too many posts to read on something I'm not too interested in (therefore haven't read all your posts). That said, my two cents....
I'm not American and don't know much about baseball, and the MLB, although I have once been to a Texas Rangers game many years ago. Personally I much prefer the NFL. I've been a long time fan of the NFL. I'm glad to see the expansion of the NFL to England, Mexico and now Germany too. I don't think baseball has the a bigger world-wide appeal, except of course in Japan.
Anyway, my vote for best sport on the planet.... Chess!!! (not really but I do enjoy a game now and then).
tv series animation GIF

Great idea @chippitydoodah - give the pitcher a tomato and let him throw a fastball [splat]. :)
Don't know who that is throwing, but looks like he has a good arm.
Best thing about baseball... Has to be the mascots right?
Anyway, all this talk about baseball is going to make me want to get out my old copy of MLB The Show 14 on my Playstation. Albeit I wasn't particularly good at the game. Fun though.

I've been to hundreds of games over the years, but when I was ten, I got to meet Stan Musial. At the time, I had a collection of cards that used to blow away collectors, but my favorite was showing Stan my collection of every Cardinal player from 1948 to 1982. I had most of Cardinals from 1941.

In 1983 I met Willie McGee when he was on a rehab assignment in AA. The Arkansas Travelers came through Tulsa. He's still my all-time favorite player.

In 1890, Joshua Mercer Goar completed the most unlikely half inning in Baseball History as a Pitcher. During the half inning he pitched against the Anderson Tigers in the Indiana state league, he allowed:
3 Triples
1 Double
2 Singles
....... No Runs Scored.
Yeah, I know you’re saying it’s impossible.
Sounds impossible right? The first three batters he faced all hit Triples and then the next three hitters got a double and two singles and NOBODY SCORED !!!!

This is how the box score/play by play happened:

The first batter, Benjamin Ireland hit a triple.
Next up was Edward Wiswell. There was a wild pitch, Ireland tried to score and was thrown out at the plate.

1 triple / 1 Out

Wiswell then hits a triple and tried to stretch it out into an inside-the-park Home Run but was thrown out at the plate.

2 Triples / 2 Outs

The next batter was Rush Shumway and he hits a triple.

3 Triples

Next up, Gene Derby.
Derby hits a bunt down the Third Base line and the Third Baseman followed the ball rolling along the line hoping it would roll foul and it didn’t. The ball stayed in play and by the time the ball was picked up, Derby was standing on 2nd Base with a Successful Bunt Double and Shumway remained on Third.

1 Double.

Next, another bunt. This time just a single.
Gene Fatz beat it out to First and the other runners didn’t advance.

1 Single.

Then, with bases loaded, Frank Fear hit a vicious liner toward right field and it hit Fatz in the arm while he was off the 1st Base bag. Because the base runner touched the ball, Fatz was out but because of MLB rule 5.05, Fear was still awarded a single.

1 more single, 3 outs, inning over.

So there you have it.
In a single inning, a team hits in the following order:

3 Triples
1 Double
2 Singles
......and No Body Scored a Run.

The way I look at it, never give up, even when the odds are against you. The impossible happens more often than we give the impossible credit for.

.....and enjoy the game.
FB_IMG_1699722837474.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom