Why do people have multiple chips sets? (5 Viewers)

I think the #1 answer is - we hate money.
In traditional Greek culture, money is sickness and has to go away.
That's why and how Greeks buy each other drinks at pubs and bars and their traditional equivalent (tavernas, traditional "coffee" shops etc), without ever being able to keep track of who bought the most.

In strict Protestant terms, that is Hell, because it confuses Jesus (He can't monitor what your money savings, and hence Virtue, is). :)

So I’ve seen several posts talking about how people have multiple sets of chips. I understand having a cash set and a tournament set… or one set that can cover both. But what is the purpose of having more than one set of each? I see people posting that they have 5 or as many as 10 tournament sets. They also state that some sets have never been felted. I personally don’t see the point of having chips you don’t use. Convince me otherwise…
May as well ask why people have more than one clock. How many different ways do you need to know the exact time?

Actually the Master Time phone number is all you need

202-762-1401

Listen to the ticks and it takes about 15 seconds for the announcer

Never need a clock or watch again and always be exactly on time.

I personally have 7 or 8 separate chipsets of various quality. Some were bought through inexperience (the early years), others bought for exact circumstances. Then others double up for both tournament or cash, then others for precisely for cash or tournament. Some with denoms for cash, some without for tourneys. Some are decent home chips not for the public, others are cheap throw away chips you don't mind losing in a bar brawl. But I've yet to put together a perfect set for either cash games or tournament games. It's a never ending search, because there's always something better or more appealing. Then you have plastics, ceramics or clay and the differences... Gaining this knowledge comes through experience and gaining experience costs money. Sites like this should save you the money spent on gaining experience. Depends on what you really need because that rabbit just keeps digging his hole, so be careful. Cheers

Hello, my name is Ryan….. and I have a poker chip problem…… 10,000 and counting.
IMG_4776.jpeg
IMG_4777.jpeg

Having sold a ton of stray chips earlier this year, and also recently completing a custom cash set, I am now debating whether to keep hoarding, or to strip down to essentials.

Here’s my debate:

* I have two cash sets, one a large custom spotted THCs, the other a PCR/Avalon set of similar size.

* I also have a large mixed Jack tourney set (enough for three tables), and a 1,200-chip THC starburst solid tourney set.

* I also have a ton of ASM/CPC H-mold chips in various solid colors, most of which have been milled.

* I almost never host tourneys anymore, but want to maintain that option.

* I am very, very fond of my Suits mold cash and mixed Jack tourney sets, but realistically these are going to get almost no action in the foreseeable future. They also both have a pretty decent $$$ value.

So I am definitely keeping the custom cash set.

I probably should pare down to one cash and one tourney set.

I may sell the PCR/Avalons, though they have been a great favorite until now. Ditto the big Jack tourney set.

I’d either keep the THC solid tourney set, and maybe mill it for customization… Or sell those too, and do something with the H-molds.

Or hoard.

I know most will say sell, sell, sell since there is demand for for good chips. But I know you all also understand the impulse to hold on. The chips don’t go stale, and seem to just keep increasing in value.

I’m torn. And that is why I still have 5 sets instead of 2.

Having sold a ton of stray chips earlier this year, and also recently completing a custom cash set, I am now debating whether to keep hoarding, or to strip down to essentials.

Here’s my debate:

* I have two cash sets, one a large custom spotted THCs, the other a PCR/Avalon set of similar size.

* I also have a large mixed Jack tourney set (enough for three tables), and a 1,200-chip THC starburst solid tourney set.

* I also have a ton of ASM/CPC H-mold chips in various solid colors, most of which have been milled.

* I almost never host tourneys anymore, but want to maintain that option.

* I am very, very fond of my Suits mold cash and mixed Jack tourney sets, but realistically these are going to get almost no action in the foreseeable future. They also both have a pretty decent $$$ value.

So I am definitely keeping the custom cash set.

I probably should pare down to one cash and one tourney set.

I may sell the PCR/Avalons, though they have been a great favorite until now. Ditto the big Jack tourney set.

I’d either keep the THC solid tourney set, and maybe mill it for customization… Or sell those too, and do something with the H-molds.

Or hoard.

I know most will say sell, sell, sell since there is demand for for good chips. But I know you all also understand the impulse to hold on. The chips don’t go stale, and seem to just keep increasing in value.

I’m torn. And that is why I still have 5 sets instead of 2.
Why not keep them, pass on as inheritance? Particularly the customs.

Why not keep them, pass on as inheritance? Particularly the customs.

The customs are the only definite keepers.

I’d like to also have a functional tourney set.

I could of course hold onto the second cash and tourney sets, and the unfinished milled H-molds which could be customized... Hold onto them indefinitely, as I have good storage to maintain condition; and they are likely only going to appreciate in value.

But in practice these are almost never going to get used. Seems like a waste, if others would enjoy them.

The customs are the only definite keepers.

I’d like to also have a functional tourney set.

I could of course hold onto the second cash and tourney sets, and the unfinished milled H-molds which could be customized... Hold onto them indefinitely, as I have good storage to maintain condition; and they are likely only going to appreciate in value.

But in practice these are almost never going to get used. Seems like a waste, if others would enjoy them.
"Death suits have no pockets"
"No currency accepted in the world below"
(Greek proverbs) :)

I have a cash game set of low denoms. I have a CDI set of higher denoms but it’s only a 300 ct set. Problem is I can’t build out the CDI set because of the obvious price for semi rares. Looks like I will be in the market for a new tourney set of stock chips. How many chips for a max two table tourney and what denim should I start at… $100?

I have a cash game set of low denoms. I have a CDI set of higher denoms but it’s only a 300 ct set. Problem is I can’t build out the CDI set because of the obvious price for semi rares. Looks like I will be in the market for a new tourney set of stock chips. How many chips for a max two table tourney and what denim should I start at… $100?
Repost this in the General Poker Chip Forum and you will get plenty of good advice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom