Why CONUS instead of US? (2 Viewers)

Jacks

Straight
Supporter
Reaction score
Possibly a dumb question, but:

Why do people specify CONUS (Continental US) instead of US for shipping when most people use USPS flat rate envelopes or boxes which cost the same to Hawaii as they do CONUS?

Possibly a dumb question, but:

Why do people specify CONUS (Continental US) instead of US for shipping when most people use USPS flat rate envelopes or boxes which cost the same to Hawaii as they do CONUS?
I think they just mean US. Heck even Guam has the same postal terms I believe. There just aren’t a lot of folks in those locations. @TrillAK and @davin are the only ones that come to my mind.

I've asked the question too, and I agree that most people just mean U.S. There is a $1 surcharge on AK/HI and I assume PR and other territories (at least on commercial rates for USPS, the retail rate may be identical), but it isn't any more trouble to ship to those locations, so I don't think most people who say CONUS would balk at that.

I think they just mean US. Heck even Guam has the same postal terms I believe. There just aren’t a lot of folks in those locations. @TrillAK and @davin are the only ones that come to my mind.

Checking in to the not-CONUS US cohort!

Haven't had anyone turn me down for location when they say CONUS.

It's weird because saying US is shorter than CONUS, so there's no good reason to even use that term!

Last edited:
as a European I belive that it is because most of USA citizen are very patriotic
as a delivery to Hawaii is definetly most costly they do not want to take advantage of the federal goverment's good nature...

well....its possible

Ignorance and familiarity. At least for speaking for myself. When I used to sell things on eBay a hundred years ago, I feel like it was more expensive to ship to Hawaii and Alaska. So when advertising “free shipping” on auctions/sales, it was only to CONUS….and that just kinda stuck for me (and apparently many others).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom