Why aren't cheaper poker chips (under 50c each) as vibrant as the more expensive sets? (1 Viewer)

Lapoda

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I've been in the market for a poker chip set to start playing some home games and ended up settling on the Majestics. I was looking for a set that had the vibrant colors that you see mainly in Paulson poker chips. While I'm sure I'll be happy with my purchase, I'm wondering why that is. I feel like a company could make a ton of money by producing some consumer market available chips with more vibrant colors.

My assumption is that vibrant colors are a more difficult/different material composition, and thus cost more to produce, but I'm not sure.

Different materials, different costs. Something usually has to be sacrificed in order to churn out the product at lower cost in large quantities, and therefore less choices available in raw materials. Save up some money over time - you'll get your Paulsons eventually, if that's what you want.

Oh, and Hello and Welcome!

Different materials, different costs. Something usually has to be sacrificed in order to churn out the product at lower cost in large quantities, and therefore less choices available in raw materials. Save up some money over time - you'll get your Paulsons eventually, if that's what you want.

Oh, and Hello and Welcome!
Right, I figured as such. Currently pretty excited to play with my Majestics and maybe in a couple years I'll look into getting a set of Paulson's or possibly some CPC's. Maybe by then Paulson will be back in the consumer market, who knows.

Currently pretty excited to play with my Majestics and maybe in a couple years I'll look into getting a set of Paulson's or possibly some CPC's.
Be warned... I said the same thing when I got my Pharaoh CC cash set (first non-dice set ever). Five months later I now have 3 1/2 Paulson cash sets for a total of just over 4,000 chips and another 700 Paulsons that I picked up cause I liked the way they look.

Just don’t handle ANY Paulsons until you think you’re ready to buy and you’ll be all set :). Still remember the day I got a barrel of CDM $5s in the mail... fantasy Paulsons - a gateway chip.

Be warned... I said the same thing when I got my Pharaoh CC cash set (first non-dice set ever). Five months later I now have 3 1/2 Paulson cash sets for a total of just over 4,000 chips and another 700 Paulsons that I picked up cause I liked the way they look.

Just don’t handle ANY Paulsons until you think you’re ready to buy and you’ll be all set :). Still remember the day I got a barrel of CDM $5s in the mail... fantasy Paulsons - a gateway chip.
Wow! Yeah I really love the looks of them and have ordered a couple sample Paulson chips... the only thing is, while I really enjoy poker myself, a lot of my buddies aren't too serious about it and we only get together about once or twice a month to play.

Wow! Yeah I really love the looks of them and have ordered a couple sample Paulson chips... the only thing is, while I really enjoy poker myself, a lot of my buddies aren't too serious about it and we only get together about once or twice a month to play.
I’m in the same boat :D but I can’t stop collecting them... now if I could only convince the hosts of the games I go to to spend thousands on chips...

I’m only about two weeks into this habit. I started off saying, “I’m just gonna get one set to step up from my Dice chips. Probably China Clays.”

Now the thought is, “Two sets. One tournament and one cash. One China Clay and one nicer.”

I’m positive that that thought will evolve into, “Two sets. Both nice.”

And we’ll go on from there.

That said, Majestics will be my choice as well if I decide to keep a set in the 40c/chip range. Don’t be afraid to like them!

I'm 1 year in. Two cash sets (one is a keeper). One tourney set. Raw materials for two roulette sets. One ceramic set for blackjack. Some stuff for sale. A sh**load of stuff for eventual sale. This is not including sets that have come and gone because I got distracted by the next nice shiny object.

If I had to buy a non dice set I’d go with the Club Cal Neva roulette chips @allforcharity is selling at 65c each. I’d get labels printed by Gear and I’d have a Paulson set for 85c each with the breakdown I want.

Classified :
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...uild-a-tourney-cash-or-custom-game-set.37121/

Label design I’ve created for all forum members :
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/labels-for-club-cal-neva-solid.37098/page-2#post-699413

^This

If I had to buy a non dice set I’d go with the Club Cal Neva roulette chips @allforcharity is selling at 65c each. I’d get labels printed by Gear and I’d have a Paulson set for 85c each with the breakdown I want.

Classified :
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...uild-a-tourney-cash-or-custom-game-set.37121/

Label design I’ve created for all forum members :
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/labels-for-club-cal-neva-solid.37098/page-2#post-699413

This is exactly what I’m currently doing,building a tourney set for our league to replace plastic chips we’ve been using. I’ll post pics once they finish.

This might be a silly question but where do you guys get all your spare money for this hobby? Any good ideas for side hustles? I love everything but I simply don’t have $500+ just sitting around to blow on chips. :(

This might be a silly question but where do you guys get all your spare money for this hobby? Any good ideas for side hustles? I love everything but I simply don’t have $500+ just sitting around to blow on chips. :(

That’s a loaded question if I’ve ever heard one lol

The answers to that question will vary, but a few will look like this:

1. I’m fortunate enough to have disposable income
  2. I’m a winning poker player and this is how I spend some or all of my profit
  3. I don’t have the money but here we are, anyway

Thanks for the support, fellas. I've just ordered the last of the roulettes. After this batch arrives, my stock will run dry. I still have three 6-person starter tourney sets with wooden racks still for sale. Great for a starter, or buy all 3 and have a big 18-person set all ready to go!

I’m building a small 6-max tourney set too. Hard to resist to such a bargain.
And having a « refurbishment » project is quite motivating - at least for me.

I've had various hobbies in the past and this one tops the list of the most expensive one for me so far. A lot of folks here sell their chips to fund other chip purchases, but for someone starting out like me, I had to put some seed money into this hobby. It helps that I sell stuff I don't need or have gotten tired of, most recently an Apple Watch (I found that these aren't for me), computer gadgets, etc.
I also play a little bit of poker and used some of my bankroll.

That’s a loaded question if I’ve ever heard one lol

The answers to that question will vary, but a few will look like this:

1. I’m fortunate enough to have disposable income
  2. I’m a winning poker player and this is how I spend some or all of my profit
  3. I don’t have the money but here we are, anyway
#3!!!
Oh, this wasn’t a survey :unsure:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom