China clays with bright colors (like Paulson) (1 Viewer)

Lapoda88

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Was curious as to what was stopping cheaper china clay chips from having a sharp edge like Paulson chips. I found an explanation to that, but then I began wondering why china clays can't get those super vibrant & bright colors that come out of Paulson chips. My simple assumption is that it would cost more to get those types of colors into a clay chip, but I'm sure myself as well as a bunch of others would consider paying $0.60+ for a china clay if the colors were that bright. I have a sample set of Royal china clays which almost achieve that same vibrancy, but not quite there yet.

Any thoughts?

I'm sure myself as well as a bunch of others would consider paying $0.60+ for a china clay if the colors were that bright.

Pretty much answered the question there. Unfortunately, the cheaper cost leads to need of cheaper means of production and an inferior product.

Mass produced injection-molded plastic chips are available in bright colors and at inexpensive prices. But when you start mixing in additives to make them more 'clay-like', three things happen: complexity increases, the price goes up, and the plastic purity -- and thus brightness -- goes down. It's a trade-off.

The various components used in different colors of hand-made 'clay' chips are very expensive, as is the compression-molding process used to create them. Comparing them in any way to the above injection-molded 'plastic' products is just a futile attempt at apples/oranges/tangerines: all may be fruits, but with different configurations and flavors, with with appeal to completely different palates.

Mass produced injection-molded plastic chips are available in bright colors and at inexpensive prices. But when you start mixing in additives to make them more 'clay-like', three things happen: complexity increases, the price goes up, and the plastic purity -- and thus brightness -- goes down. It's a trade-off.

The various components used in different colors of hand-made 'clay' chips are very expensive, as is the compression-molding process used to create them. Comparing them in any way to the above injection-molded 'plastic' products is just a futile attempt at apples/oranges/tangerines: all may be fruits, but with different configurations and flavors, with with appeal to completely different palates.
Hmm interesting... I have noticed an improvement in the colors between the Majestic & Royals, but it'll be interesting to see if it can be taken further. Thanks for the in-depth response, it was exactly what I was looking for

Was curious as to what was stopping cheaper china clay chips from having a sharp edge like Paulson chips.
Maybe not razor sharp Paulson quality, but these CC:s are pretty sharp for the price ;)

20200414_095220.jpg

Hmm interesting... I have noticed an improvement in the colors between the Majestic & Royals, but it'll be interesting to see if it can be taken further. Thanks for the in-depth response, it was exactly what I was looking for

The problem with the Majestics and Royals is that they are more slippery than the other China Clays, like the Pharaohs and Dunes. They do not stack well at all.

I agree. When I bought my first CC set, I would have definitely gone with Majestics for the great look, but they were incredibly slippery!
Yeah my sample set of Royal chips are also incredibly slippery. I went ahead and got some tiki kings for a set because they were so solid in stacking and didn't slip around at all. I may get a set of Royals in the future though.

The problem with the Majestics and Royals is that they are more slippery than the other China Clays, like the Pharaohs and Dunes. They do not stack well at all.
Clean them.

YMMV, but I took some baby wipes (Costco's Kirkland brand) to my Milano samples. I'm not sure if I simply removed slippery production dust from the chips or if something on Kirkland baby wipes reacts chemically with the chip material. Whatever the case, once they were wiped clean my Milano samples behave like completely different chips--they stack quite well now.

I have not tried this with my Majestic samples yet. I'm anticipating a similar result.

Clean them.

YMMV, but I took some baby wipes (Costco's Kirkland brand) to my Milano samples. I'm not sure if I simply removed slippery production dust from the chips or if something on Kirkland baby wipes reacts chemically with the chip material. Whatever the case, once they were wiped clean my Milano samples behave like completely different chips--they stack quite well now.

I have not tried this with my Majestic samples yet. I'm anticipating a similar result.
Agreed! After cleaning, and even after post-cleaning LIGHT oiling, the Royals are not very slippery at all (IMO). And a light oiling really does improve the colours!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom