Which state has the best barbeque? (1 Viewer)

What state has the best BBQ?

• Total voters
How the hell is Kentucky on this poll?

As others have said, different regions have specialties. KC has the benefit of practice with all the the cuts. Both the pork and beef trade flowed through the area. I have my favorites in each of those locations listed except for KY. Tennessee needs to be on the list.

So what is your favorite BBQ meat? Answer that, and I'll point you to some of my favorites.

Oh one last thing. I served Hays County BBQ to my players in July at the 1-2 game. Lots to be said about playing that game - Crazy, Crafty and the rest of the crew were in full roar, we ate that BBQ and homemade baked goods from my sainted wife and played till three am with my Outpost set.

That is the kind of trip I was hoping for our Hero to finance.

Oh what fun we'd have! -=- DrStrange

PS and yes, in years past we spread Salt Lick BBQ for the poker players' dinner - but Salt Lick isn't best anymore.

yeah i have to agree with this. i would put georgia on there before kentucky. of the options listed, my favorite is NC by a lot.

I don't particularly like BBQ.
I micro-waved tuna fish and ketchup once and it wasn't half-bad.
So I vote for Texas.

The BBQ served at both BBotB and S@P is better than 90% of the BBQ you can find in Texas, and 99% anywhere else. DCS also very good. It's all about finding the right guy in your neighborhood...

Yeah, LOL Kentucky. I thought maybe there was some secret recipe out there in Coal Country that I didn't know about - guess not.

The BBQ served at both BBotB and S@P is better than 90% of the BBQ you can find in Texas, and 99% anywhere else. DCS also very good. It's all about finding the right guy in your neighborhood...

Yeah, LOL Kentucky. I thought maybe there was some secret recipe out there in Coal Country that I didn't know about - guess not.

S@P features my brother in law Mike the Meat Man's 'cue.

I will say this. Since sampling his goods regularly I have been to several "name" places where I left thinking "meh. Mike's is definitely better."

Tough, im from NC but live in TX lol

I love both. They are different and im ok with that. I think of them equally.

Oh, yeah. The S@P BBQ was really good. I vote for that.

S@P features my brother in law Mike the Meat Man's 'cue.

I will say this. Since sampling his goods regularly I have been to several "name" places where I left thinking "meh. Mike's is definitely better."

mmm... pork belly

parks-bbq-cut-pork-belly.jpg

I think the poll should include Kansas rather than Kentucky.

Kansas City bbq gets my vote, with St. Louis-cut ribs. None of this "baby back" sample stuff...

And I'd rather braise my 3-6 lb. hunks of pork belly in beer for around 48 hours, before finishing on super-hot cast iron. Yummm! :confused:

Foodists. All the hate for KY yet TN and OH claiming expertise? My geography is whack.

Actually, we have some great options here, I'd put up against most any place in the country. But I think we've imported our goodies, just as many areas of the country do. Agree with the favs and origins: TX brisket, Memphis dry rub ribs, Carolina BBQ. But nobody mentioned Kansas City yet. Wait, maybe that's just steak lol.

I think the poll should include Kansas rather than Kentucky.

Kansas City bbq gets my vote, with St. Louis-cut ribs. None of this "baby back" sample stuff...

And I'd rather braise my 3-6 lb. hunks of pork belly in beer for around 48 hours, before finishing on super-hot cast iron. Yummm! :confused:

I chose Missouri over Kansas for Kansas City. I'm not local to the area, but my understanding is the Missouri side is bigger and has more options. Plus, eff Kansas.

Foodists. All the hate for KY yet TN and OH claiming expertise? My geography is whack.

Actually, we have some great options here, I'd put up against most any place in the country. But I think we've imported our goodies, just as many areas of the country do. Agree with the favs and origins: TX brisket, Memphis dry rub ribs, Carolina BBQ. But nobody mentioned Kansas City yet. Wait, maybe that's just steak lol.

As others have said, different regions have specialties. KC has the benefit of practice with all the the cuts. Both the pork and beef trade flowed through the area. I have my favorites in each of those locations listed except for KY. Tennessee needs to be on the list.

So what is your favorite BBQ meat? Answer that, and I'll point you to some of my favorites.

I'm claiming my guy as expertise. Ohio doesn't rank any higher than KY or North Dakota for my experience.

I mentioned KC, they have awesome brisket.

I'm a fan of sweet sauce, over the vinegar sauce for those things that require sauce (KC/MO). I didn't grow up with rubs, so that seems dry to me. Smoked brisket (no bbq sauce) is my favorite barbecue.

This thread should have a warning label like

"CAUTION: Pictures in this thread will make you hungry as hell. Eat before previewing.*"

*Ignore if you live in North or South Carolina, Kentucky, Dallas (or anywhere in Texas for that matter), St. Louis and Kansas City (or anywhere in Missouri for that matter)

I chose Missouri over Kansas for Kansas City. I'm not local to the area, but my understanding is the Missouri side is bigger and has more options. Plus, eff Kansas.
The best BBQ in the metro is on the Kansas side (Joe's)

In the words of Anthony Bourdain "It's the best barbecue in Kansas City, which makes it the best barbecue in the world."

I'm a fan of sweet sauce, over the vinegar sauce for those things that require sauce (KC/MO). I didn't grow up with rubs, so that seems dry to me. Smoked brisket (no bbq sauce) is my favorite barbecue.

Pretty much the same for me. I don't like vinegar sauces. Brisket is my favorite so Texas wins for me, even before I moved here!

While I would say that the automobile was the beginning of the breakdown of regional styles, the internet and reality TV have put the final nails in the coffin of this argument. There are soooooo many good BBQ joints around the country now that eating bad BBQ should be considered a crime. While there are still regional purists out there, the best places blend the different styles.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom