When to send out invites? (2 Viewers)

BigSlickTux

Two Pair
Reaction score
What are everyone’s thoughts on how long before a game you send out invites? I feel 2 weeks is best, as it gives people ample time to make that their plan for the evening. I’ve heard that is too long and will cause people to forget. I do not understand how someone can forget (flake out) because I wasn’t raised that way. We all know it happens though. So what are your invite practices? As always, thank you for the discussion.

Great question, I think it is going to vary based on the player. I try to sent out invites about 2 weeks in advance, then a reminder the Monday before (my game is Sat) and then again the day before, again depending on the player.

Early on I sent invites out far in advance but now that my game is regular (almost every Thursday) I only send out invites a day or two ahead (my pool size is 20+).

I did come to find out most people won’t plan around a poker game. Even when I invited two weeks out, it wouldn’t stop them from planning other family or important events on those days. They come if it’s convenient and no other family plans tbh.

In addition, Thursdays and Fridays appear to be the best days to get people. Fridays you fight high school football right now. Weekdays seem the best.

I don’t send out invites in a traditional sense. We use the Band app and I load up events months in advance on the calendar within the app. I mention to the group that future dates are on the calendar if they ever want to see when a game is scheduled.

That being said, when a game is coming up, I do post an initial reminder 2 weeks out. Then, a second reminder is posted 1 week out. Then, 3 days prior and 1 day prior. These are all ‘posts’ within the app. No emails or texts, and it’s very non-intrusive as players can set their own notification preferences within the app. Posts usually include photos from previous games and other fun details to hype up the game.

It may seem like a lot of reminders, but as most PCFers know, home players need a bit more hand holding to fill those tables on game night.

Early on I sent invites out far in advance but now that my game is regular (almost every Thursday) I only send out invites a day or two ahead (my pool size is 20+).

I did come to find out most people won’t plan around a poker game. Even when I invited two weeks out, it wouldn’t stop them from planning other family or important events on those days. They come if it’s convenient and no other family plans tbh.

In addition, Thursdays and Fridays appear to be the best days to get people. Fridays you fight high school football right now. Weekdays seem the best.
I agree about them coming if no other family plans, but then just tell me that you can’t make it. Don’t say yes I’ll be there and then make other plans. Seems like people think the host is offended if they say no they can’t make it.

I do agree with the reminder texts. I will have to check out this Band app

We have a ~30 person Signal chat for our game, and pretty much as soon as my wife and I know we’re going to host a game, we’ll put it out there, especially if we’re polling for numbers between two options. Outside of our quarterly-ish tournaments, which are bigger affairs, we usually operate no more than two weeks out.

I agree about them coming if no other family plans, but then just tell me that you can’t make it. Don’t say yes I’ll be there and then make other plans. Seems like people think the host is offended if they say no they can’t make it.
Yeah I don’t have a problem with cancellations. But…People that commit are about 80% show.

You are always going to get people to cancel day of.

Always try to overbook.

I don't know the answer. But I will post the date as soon as I know it even if it's several weeks out. I start asking for and tracking replies about 8-10 days out. Then I start putting out and updating a list of names the week of. I put out a reminder that morning.

Since my home game is bi-monthly I will send out a “save the date” invite about 30 days out. I’ll then send a reminder text two weeks from the event, and finally I’ll check in with those that have RSVP’d the day before the event. It’s worth mentioning that I host on Saturdays so it’s a bigger event than a Thursday evening game after work.

Attached is my next save the date flyer that I plan to send out next week or the following. Great thread topic!

Level.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom