When is enough.. enough? (1 Viewer)

TKEUofM

Flush
Reaction score
So I just got my CPC cash set and as I look at my collection I have to ask when is enough enough?

It goes back to 2005 when I ordered my Classics. I know many hate them but I just can’t let the tourney set go, too many memories.

I was part of Chiptalk back in the day and then found PCF just before Covid. Quickly ordered a Rounders tourney set as it’s my favorite movie. Eventually added Rounders cash to complete the set.

Next up was my giant HSI cash set and then I took the deep dive into CPC starting with a tourney set and then just got my cash set last week. Mixed in between those I got a ceramic replica set of the WSOP set from ABC.

As many of you know, it’s easy to focus on what’s next….. I can’t afford the grail sets so they are out of reach. So it’s either another CPC design or maybe one or two of the great looking replica sets out there. So many options!!

I just grabbed a barrel of each as I didn’t want to get them all out!!! Here’s a little photo lineup.

Classics - 1,500
Rounders Tourney - 1,500
Rounders Cash - 1,000
WSOP Replicas Tourney - 1,500
HSI - 2,000
CPC Tourney - 1,400
CPC Cash - 1,100

Total - 10,000

2DBFF127-4901-4A74-B39D-5B91D0805FF1.jpeg
8F0CF2DE-9024-49AB-BDAD-B72E56C4A60F.jpeg

To be honest it has been a while since I got the ole book out
20221026_203345.jpg

20221026_203354.jpg

Several thousands in singles (probably 80k total) a couple more sets "in the works" already working on another project eith a fellow member here... still tons to relabel and finish. Add plaques for high denoms on some tourney sets...

Not sure when "enough is enough" but still enjoying the journey man!!

View attachment 1013586
View attachment 1013587
Several thousands in singles (probably 80k total) a couple more sets "in the works" already working on another project eith a fellow member here... still tons to relabel and finish. Add plaques for high denoms on some tourney sets...

Gonna need to upgrade you to and Excel spreadsheet!! lol

I could count but I’d guess I’ve owned 15k to 20k Paulsons, Chipcos, and BCCs. But I never own more than a few thousand at a time because that’s all I need. I do enjoy buying chips, but I really feel no need to pile up sets upon sets upon sets. I think @detroitdad can relate.

We have a similar story, @TKEUofM.
Back on Chiptalk, I bought a 500 chip set of Classics, and thought, "I already have Paulsons, what else does one need?" :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Then I came here in 2020 after my sons wanted to play with their friends, and I needed a small "beater" set. 900 DDLM's arrived and loved them so much I kept expanding to 1,400 plus 50 plaques.

Next, the HSI Chiproom sale...and I've got a 1,400 cash game set.

Sold my Classics and bought a Rounders tournament set.

Designed Bellagio tribute set and bought 1,400 with 1,400 more on order.

Bottom line, it never ends.....the thrill is the quest for an end.

For me…………
Spending more than 6 years to complete my favorite set to the point that it would support most any cash game that I might host.
There are still some things that I will eventually ad to the set but for now it’s complete.
It’s all GRAVY from here. ;)
423C0862-9FD4-482C-851E-8CCA7122B29D.jpeg

The next part of the journey is enjoying the set with other chippers and great friends as OFTEN as possible. :) One can never get enough of that.
7E316166-12BC-4081-9833-011901D51ABF.jpeg

DC790302-8412-465F-8748-E28AE2A1BEF2.jpeg
00C88AE6-4E21-400E-A78D-C89878CD44CF.jpeg
88C42858-8736-4CD7-901B-F52770428EBD.jpeg
D14F3248-A473-4CBA-B5E1-7277FE64F165.jpeg
A6A77C59-47F0-44A1-9EAC-3FA611E48C06.jpeg

View attachment 1013586
View attachment 1013587

Ben counting up his sets
825AAC89-594B-437C-B15B-59DC2E56275D.gif

Seriously, collecting in hobby is unlikely to end.

You can pause and stop for awhile but unlikely to stop.

I know that fact from my other hobby so I set some limitations like only keeping the set to 600-800 chips whenever possible, any project will start with a funding first and avoid set sampling (I do think I will eventually get 1-2 set that I really like example my favourite BTP cash set)

Slow and steady is the way for Hobbies collection, save the fast and furious for sport and other stuff

Planning and patience are important values to have

My story is similar to yours, but the first sets I bought from my CT days were easy to let go because they either weren't meaningful to me, or I didn't put enough thought into designing them properly.

For me it comes down to only being able to host once/month. I want to make sure my two sets see the felt and 6 times a year is barely cutting it. As much as I'd like to have a Bellagio tribute or rounders set, the thought of my customs seeing less felt time doesn't sit well. Even if I had these sets I wouldn't want them sitting in the closet most of the time. Chips need to see the felt!!

It helps me to see and hear other people's custom designs and stories, and I also try to talk my friends into buying chips but that's a hard sell. It's disappointing that my friend I've known my whole life, and played and stayed at the mirage with back in the day, won't buy a mirage tribute set for $200!!! I may have to buy it for "him" ;)

I think a good litmus test is you rather have the money than the chips. Or you rather spend the equivalent amount of money on something else.

Alternatively, it’s when you can’t find a set that would improve your rotation. Does the next set fill some sort of hole or improve the quality of your overall collection? Or is it redundant and/or dilutive?

Lastly, enough could simply be acquiring a custom set. I’ve noticed many seasoned members dramatically reduce purchases after receiving their customs. Sometimes they even sell off their other chips.

Interestingly, I started at customs. I joined in May 2021 and bought a personalised cards mold set shortly after. Since then, I’ve thought about buying a bunch of different sets but never pulled the trigger because I didn’t think I’d want to table anything over my customs, which hold meaning to me and my friends. It’s simply hard to match the sentimentality.

I think I read that had @Eloe2000 , the undisputed customs GOAT, started with cards molds, he may have never gone deeper into the rabbit hole. I’m kinda there. I’ve been browsing PCF for over a year after I bought my CM and I haven’t bought anything! :wow:

I think I read that had @Eloe2000 , the undisputed customs GOAT, started with cards molds, he may have never gone deeper into the rabbit hole. I’m kinda there. I’ve been browsing PCF for over a year after I bought my CM and I haven’t bought anything! :wow:
Can I dispute it? They’re semi-customs and they’re beautiful, but goat is a pretty high standard.
Anyway, if you’re happy with your cards mold customs, good for you. I can totally understand them being meaningful. But if they’re keeping you from clays, I’d have to wonder how many clays you’ve handled. I do like ceramic chips, and I don’t see any reason to own a lot of sets, but if you’re a chip guy and you don’t own (or don’t want to own) a clay set - that’s surprise to me.

Can I dispute it? They’re semi-customs and they’re beautiful, but goat is a pretty high standard.
Anyway, if you’re happy with your cards mold customs, good for you. I can totally understand them being meaningful. But if they’re keeping you from clays, I’d have to wonder how many clays you’ve handled. I do like ceramic chips, and I don’t see any reason to own a lot of sets, but if you’re a chip guy and you don’t own (or don’t want to own) a clay set - that’s surprise to me.
Agreed on disputing this claim. While it’s a fantastic set, GOAT is a stretch.

I’ve come to the conclusion that custom sets are like dogs. We all think we have the best one and we are all correct.

My bad @chipinla , you bring up a good point. Everyone’s children are beautiful and above average.

@upNdown , several months ago I wrote:

I’ve had a chance to play some CPCs, RHCs, THCs, and house mold chips at other games. Playing the sets has given me a more useful feel than shuffling a sample stack. I came away with new and probably controversial perspectives:
  • THC looks better than RHC, but only minutely
  • THC and RHC feel different, and I can’t say one is better or worse. They’re just different
  • House molds are actually way cooler than I thought they would be. A debossed name that points to a specific property is quite a bit more charming than a border of hats and canes (a tad random and cheesy)
  • House molds also feel different, and again, I can’t say better or worse. Just different
  • CPCs feel worse. The ones I handled felt light and rough. Some may prefer that texture though.
  • When playing, none of the above matters. At all. The difference in feel between THC, RHC, house molds, CPC, and ceramics is insignificant and forgotten after a shuffle.

@upNdown , several months ago I wrote:
9E0CB172-D5A8-4C06-9275-337A452561EC.jpeg

There’s a lot of truth to that. The more I’ve hosted recently, the more I’ve become certain that all the strong beliefs I built up over the years (of mostly not hosting) are pretty useless.
But this is poker CHIP forum. If you’re going to suggest that people can be just as happy with mid-quality ceramics as anything else, I’d say that’s worth discussing.

Reactions: khp
  • When playing, none of the above matters. At all. The difference in feel between THC, RHC, house molds, CPC, and ceramics is insignificant and forgotten after a shuffle.
I going to strongly disagree with this, I hosted game with a variety of chips type and non chipper can felt the differences and it's not insignificant.

Very often, first timer will notice and ask where I bought / gotten the chips from just because it felt and look way different from the chips that they usually seem and played.

All I can say each have their preference, some prefer certain type of chips over other. Some Chips maybe have more love over others.

Reactions: khp
View attachment 1013836
There’s a lot of truth to that. The more I’ve hosted recently, the more I’ve become certain that all the strong beliefs I built up over the years (of mostly not hosting) are pretty useless.
But this is poker CHIP forum. If you’re going to suggest that people can be just as happy with mid-quality ceramics as anything else, I’d say that’s worth discussing.
Actually, I never said anything about being happy (and having enough) with ceramics. I said it about a custom set, which could be relabelled Paulsons, CPCs, ceramics, or others.

Actually, I never said anything about being happy (and having enough) with ceramics. I said it about a custom set, which could be relabelled Paulsons, CPCs, ceramics, or others.
Sorry I misread you. I thought you said your customs were card molds. But you did follow that whole thought by suggesting that Eloe had said that if he started with cards molds he may never have moved on to Paulsons, so it’s pretty much the same discussion.

Quite frankly, I'm afraid to count how many chips I have. I know I have too many and I prefer not to address it.

I think a good litmus test is you rather have the money than the chips. Or you rather spend the equivalent amount of money on something else.

Alternatively, it’s when you can’t find a set that would improve your rotation. Does the next set fill some sort of hole or improve the quality of your overall collection? Or is it redundant and/or dilutive?

Lastly, enough could simply be acquiring a custom set. I’ve noticed many seasoned members dramatically reduce purchases after receiving their customs. Sometimes they even sell off their other chips.

Interestingly, I started at customs. I joined in May 2021 and bought a personalised cards mold set shortly after. Since then, I’ve thought about buying a bunch of different sets but never pulled the trigger because I didn’t think I’d want to table anything over my customs, which hold meaning to me and my friends. It’s simply hard to match the sentimentality.

While I certainly appreciate the sentiment, I am definitely not a goat. But fwiw it was nice that people voted for my CPC cash set because the design was personal to me. But I do stand by my sentiment that you are quoting that had I come across cards mold customs when I first joined that i probably wouldn’t have gone any further. I found this place trying to customize chips and the cards mold chips would probably have been good enough to please me. I wouldn’t have gotten bored with China clays and wouldn’t have gotten into the hard work of customizing Paulsons and then wouldn’t have paid the price for CPCs. That being said I love my CPC sets and will be making more. I have the bug. But my players prefer my 44mm cards mold CM tournament set over my 39mm CPC CM tournament set! I am so disappointed in these guys.

Last edited:
Everything is the GOAT or a GRAIL set. The terms used to be used somewhat correctly, now it's just laughable. I mean how many Grail's can be in the classifieds in any given month>?
GOAT and GRAIL debates belong in the politics thread since nobody will ever agree on anything ha.

So I just got my CPC cash set and as I look at my collection I have to ask when is enough enough?

It goes back to 2005 when I ordered my Classics. I know many hate them but I just can’t let the tourney set go, too many memories.

I was part of Chiptalk back in the day and then found PCF just before Covid. Quickly ordered a Rounders tourney set as it’s my favorite movie. Eventually added Rounders cash to complete the set.

Next up was my giant HSI cash set and then I took the deep dive into CPC starting with a tourney set and then just got my cash set last week. Mixed in between those I got a ceramic replica set of the WSOP set from ABC.

As many of you know, it’s easy to focus on what’s next….. I can’t afford the grail sets so they are out of reach. So it’s either another CPC design or maybe one or two of the great looking replica sets out there. So many options!!

I just grabbed a barrel of each as I didn’t want to get them all out!!! Here’s a little photo lineup.

Classics - 1,500
Rounders Tourney - 1,500
Rounders Cash - 1,000
WSOP Replicas Tourney - 1,500
HSI - 2,000
CPC Tourney - 1,400
CPC Cash - 1,100

Total - 10,000

View attachment 1013549View attachment 1013550

the-simpsons-mr-burns.gif

@Tommy....this should be a warning sticky :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom