Tourney When Is an Absent Player's Hand Dead? (2 Viewers)

At what point should an absent player's hand be killed?

• If the player is not at the table when the first card is dealt to *anyone* for that hand

• If the player is not at the table when the first card is dealt to *that player* for that hand

• If the player is not at the table when the second card is dealt to *anyone* for that hand

• If the player is not at the table when the second card is dealt to *that player* for that hand

• If the player is not at the table when everyone has been dealt both cards

• If the player is not at the table when the action gets around to him

• Something else (elaborate in replies)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ahh, but what does "at the table" really mean?

Seated with legs under the table, sure. Standing next to it with your hand on the rail, yup.

But what about standing an arm's length away? More than an arm's length? There's too much ambiguity.

There is no ambiguity with "Making physical contact with your chair." I suppose someone could be a smartass and carry the chair around the club. I hope it does not ever come to that.
Oh I guess I was stipulating to your definition of "at the table."

Seated with legs under the table, sure. Standing next to it with your hand on the rail, yup.

But what about standing an arm's length away? More than an arm's length? There's too much ambiguity.

There is no ambiguity with "Making physical contact with your chair." I suppose someone could be a smartass and carry the chair around the club. I hope it does not ever come to that.
Maybe borrow from TDA and use "at your seat"? For example, here's my house rule on this topic:
  • All players are dealt in. To have a live hand, players must be at their seats when the action comes to them. “At your seat” means in reach of your chair. This rule is not intended to encourage players to be out of their seats while in the hand.
In practice, we don't say anything if the lobbying player is in the restroom because it's 2023 and hygiene is important. However, if someone is getting food in the kitchen or smoking in the patio, we normally will yell out that a new hand has started so the lobbying player gets a warning to rush back. Frequently, the lobbying player will respond by saying "let me know when it's on me," which means he intends to play blind if he doesn't make it back in time. When it's on the lobbying player, we either muck it with no warning or describe the action and ask what he likes to do without looking at his cards.

Fuck Im glad my players arent that clever, we'd have them folding the chair and wearing it like a backpack just to send me over the edge.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/my-players-take-on-roberts-rules-of-poker.99017/

Last edited:
Not going to read all this, but my opinion goes along with online play...

a sitting out player is considered in "check" mode until aggressive action gets to him/her, then fold to any bet.

EX: player sitting out is in big blind...a couple limpers, absent bb checks (hand is still live). Flop checks around, player's hand is still live, and checks the turn automatically. One of the limpers bets, action back to sitting out player, NOW they fold.

Ex2: Same as above but limpers check it down, BB hand is LIVE and can win the pot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom