What's your home game horror story? (1 Viewer)

This guy I’d played with a few times in smaller stakes local games hears about my game and asks if he could try it out.

He’s a bit rough around the edges... but then aren’t we all? So I say sure, let’s see how it goes.

In the middle of my game, he mentions that he got into a bar fight the day before and got slashed pretty bad with a switchblade.

Before anyone can ask where/how/why he got slashed, he lifts up his shirt to reveal a mess of gauze pads taped all over his fat chest and stomach, some showing dried blood, plus a few partially-visible scabs.

“The doctor said if I wuzzint so fat, I prolly would have died!” he exclaims proudly. “All he got was my blubber!!!!”

[entire table struggles not to puke]

Last edited:
Somebody had a horror story about a game at an MIT frat? I think that one was the best worst.
OMG this was Guinness’ story and it was amazing. I’m not even going to try to relay it - I won’t do it the justice it deserves. Watching him describe it in person is side-splittingly funn as he gets increasingly animated remembering the experience.
Color me intrigued. Could we read about this somewhere?

OMG this was Guinness’ story and it was amazing. I’m not even going to try to relay it - I won’t do it the justice it deserves. Watching him describe it in person is side-splittingly funn as he gets increasingly animated remembering the experience.
I remember first time I read that. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

My regular game back between 2003-2010 or thereabouts.

One of our regulars invited a friend. Complete tool, bragged about how hot his wife was (she was), and how he was board certified in 2 specialties of medicine.

About 6 months later, after he’d played a few times with us, he gets arrested for banging a 15 year old patient.
I'm curious what two specialties?

My poker nightmare is when my wife says I can have a game but I can’t get enough people to play! :cry:

This!

And when she says it’s ok, then I start inviting my friends for the game in 2weeks, everyone is hyped and when the day comes she says "I never said it was ok." and I have to cancel everything to dodge the argument..

Bad joke.
No. My question was legit. I was genuinely curious.

That med/peds specialty is rare and there aren't even many residencies in existence anymore.

Edit - Nevermind. I thought you were serious with the internal and peds speciality (internal medicine is a specialty).

No. My question was legit. I was genuinely curious.

That med/peds specialty is rare and there aren't even many residencies in existence anymore.

Edit - Nevermind. I thought you were serious with the internal and peds speciality (internal medicine is a specialty).
Offcolor joke, knew it was a specialty, apologies. Why are there less residencies at this point?

Yes, definitely poor taste but picking on the pedophile. I don't know anything more about the story, apologies. Edited it out.
I wasn’t offended, even though I realize it’s in poor taste. Probably best that you removed it.

I also didn’t realize initially that you did not post the original story. If I was paying attention, I would have known it was a joke.

Offcolor joke, knew it was a specialty, apologies. Why are there less residencies at this point?
The combined internal medicine and peds residency has been dying for years. Just not many of them. Never understood why it is a dying residency, but my feeling is no one wants to do a longer residency when they can do just 3yrs and be a family med doc (treat both adult and peds). The general public doesn't really understand the dual boarded IM/Peds doc anyway, and they will more than likely just think you are a family med doc.

Surprisingly, I actually did my peds rotation in medical school with one. Smart guy. He took care of both adult and peds, though he even would mention that family medicine is essentially the same thing, just more training with the double board certification and a longer residency.

My old college roommate is also med/peds.

Pediatrics and internal medicine.
Sounds like a real douche, and then a pedophile.

Being double boarded in IM and Peds is not something I would necessarily be bragging about, and generally, people don't even know what that means or care, for that matter.

I bet he's a hit in prison.

What was that Sugarloaf game? I'm pretty familiar with the area (I guess not enough)
I never played, was (and still would be) above my $ comfort zone, and I'm sure @BGinGA has more details. But memory was that it was a raked game, was held up a few times with like $20k lost or so each time. Then the bust came and cops confiscated $15k or so, charged a half dozen people w/ felonies, etc.. This was all in the mid-2000s.
The Sugarloaf game was held in 2004-2006ish? at a tri-level suburban home located on a cul-de-sac in the Sugarloaf country club area. Raked games with paid dealers and free food/drink, including grilled steak, chicken, hamburgers, and hotdogs on a huge outdoor grill with lots of sides. Two guys ran the show, with one of them plus one of the dealers living upstairs. Wives/girlfriends did the cooking.

Pretty much ran cash games seven days per week from ~6pm to early morning, with multiple tables of 1/2 NLHE and 2/4 or 3/6 limit Hold'em. $40 no-rake with added-money tournaments on Tuesday and Saturday nights, often four-table events with cash tables running afterwards. They had a large set (2k?) of Paulson THC fantasy 20th Century chips for cash, and a large neon-colored set of no-denom super diamonds for the tournaments.

Some good players, but mostly it was recs and very soft. Easy to make money at the cash tables, even with the rake. Tables on the lower level in two rooms (overflow tourney table upstairs), with multiple big-screen TVs in every room. Zero security (initially), open doors front and back with walk-in access to kitchen and living room.

Parking was crazy, filled the driveway and street and eventually just started parking cars in the yard -- up to 40 vehicles at times.

Robbed twice at gun-point late-night/early morning -- closed after the second time and reopened a month later with new exterior fencing limiting house access, and a double-door locked front entryway manned by armed off-duty deputies.

Eventually raided by Gwinnett County SWAT at 2am on a Saturday night (I had already left), full-bore assault rifles etc. Rounded up 15 people or so, found no drugs or guns (their excuse for a warrant), issued tickets to players, arrested the game runners, dealers, and cooks (wives/girlfriends), and confiscated all the money, chips, and equipment.

Several years later, the 20th Century chips used in the game appeared on a police auction site, and @ChipEnvy snagged 'em. He eventually sold them to other chippers on CT, and over time, I've managed to corral most of them (plus a few others) back home into my personal Sugarloaf collection (2400 chips or so). Set contains $1, $5, $25, and $100 original chips, plus two racks of relabeled pink quarters (formerly Casablanca Aruba $5s).

I’m just amazed that the neighbors on a cul-de-sac in a country club area took more than 10 days to get this place shut down.

You can get in trouble with that crowd just for letting your lawn grow an inch too high… Let alone having 40 cars parked on it every night until 4 am.

This guy I’d played with a few times in smaller stakes local games hears about my game and asks if he could try it out.

He’s a bit rough around the edges... but then aren’t we all? So I say sure, let’s see how it goes.

In the middle of my game, he mentions that he got into a bar fight the day before and got slashed pretty bad with a switchblade.

Before anyone can ask where/how/why he got slashed, he lifts up his shirt to reveal a mess of gauze pads taped all over his fat chest and stomach, some showing dried blood, plus a few partially-visible scabs.

“The doctor said if I wuzzint so fat, I prolly would have died!” he exclaims proudly. “All he got was my blubber!!!!”

[entire table struggles not to puke]

(The bar fight and slashing started, he claimed, because some guy was needling him about his ex-wife’s new fling. Of course.)

I’m just amazed that the neighbors on a cul-de-sac in a country club area took more than 10 days to get this place shut down.

You can get in trouble with that crowd just for letting your lawn grow an inch too high… Let alone having 40 cars parked on it every night until 4 am.
Yeah, no kidding. I used to park down the street a bit just so my car wasn't automatically associated with the property.

It was crazy when they finally dropped the fence and just started parking cars in the yard like a damn parking lot.

The Sugarloaf game was held in 2004-2006ish? at a tri-level suburban home located on a cul-de-sac in the Sugarloaf country club area. Raked games with paid dealers and free food/drink, including grilled steak, chicken, hamburgers, and hotdogs on a huge outdoor grill with lots of sides. Two guys ran the show, with one of them plus one of the dealers living upstairs. Wives/girlfriends did the cooking.

Pretty much ran cash games seven days per week from ~6pm to early morning, with multiple tables of 1/2 NLHE and 2/4 or 3/6 limit Hold'em. $40 no-rake with added-money tournaments on Tuesday and Saturday nights, often four-table events with cash tables running afterwards. They had a large set (2k?) of Paulson THC fantasy 20th Century chips for cash, and a large neon-colored set of no-denom super diamonds for the tournaments.

Some good players, but mostly it was recs and very soft. Easy to make money at the cash tables, even with the rake. Tables on the lower level in two rooms (overflow tourney table upstairs), with multiple big-screen TVs in every room. Zero security (initially), open doors front and back with walk-in access to kitchen and living room.

Parking was crazy, filled the driveway and street and eventually just started parking cars in the yard -- up to 40 vehicles at times.

Robbed twice at gun-point late-night/early morning -- closed after the second time and reopened a month later with new exterior fencing limiting house access, and a double-door locked front entryway manned by armed off-duty deputies.

Eventually raided by Gwinnett County SWAT at 2am on a Saturday night (I had already left), full-bore assault rifles etc. Rounded up 15 people or so, found no drugs or guns (their excuse for a warrant), issued tickets to players, arrested the game runners, dealers, and cooks (wives/girlfriends), and confiscated all the money, chips, and equipment.

Several years later, the 20th Century chips used in the game appeared on a police auction site, and @ChipEnvy snagged 'em. He eventually sold them to other chippers on CT, and over time, I've managed to corral most of them (plus a few others) back home into my personal Sugarloaf collection (2400 chips or so). Set contains $1, $5, $25, and $100 original chips, plus two racks of relabeled pink quarters (formerly Casablanca Aruba $5s).
holy what a story!
Did you anticipate that the chips would eventually appear on the police auction site? I wouldn’t have thought of that and assumed the chips were in the dumpster

holy what a story!
Did you anticipate that the chips would eventually appear on the police auction site? I wouldn’t have thought of that and assumed the chips were in the dumpster
Nope, when civil servants confiscate your property, they will often try to profit off it later. Gotta keep an eye out for deals buying your stuff back.

holy what a story!
I never gave it any thought at the time. I joined ChipTalk a few years later, and eventually discovered the auction story (but the 20th Century chips had already been auctioned, purchased, and subsequently dispersed).

ChipEnvy wasn't local (WA state) and had no idea about the GA Sugarloaf poker game connection other than what little info was on the evidence bags they shipped in. Took years to find and get most of 'em back home (some still haven't made it). Nobody knows what happened to the neon super diamonds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom