Whats your favorite coffee? (1 Viewer)

That is not always true, Death Wish guarantees the strongest caffeine possible out of their coffee, and to call it dark roast is an understatement. It is delightful if you love the strongest crap ever!! Otherwise I would not try it. Also they sell it in Keurig cups, that isn't even half of the flavor you get out of grinding whole beans fresh everyday. Almost like a totally different brand of coffee.

@pltrgyst we are bringing the pot with us and your are welcome to some, just be warned she's strong. Most can't drink it! Lol
So I bought some Death Wish whole bean. Made a cup and it is pretty good. It’s not the darkest of roast which probably keeps it from the burnt taste. I would say it’s more of a medium roast but super oily beans. I like that. Overall the cup was pretty good. Maybe the caffeine hasn’t hit me yet but it was really rich and smooth.

if you like dark coffee try Cafe Du Monde. It’s from the famed Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans and it’s a French roast that is roasted with chickory. It does have a faint burnt taste but the chickory really smooths it out. It only come ground but holds up pretty well. I’ve been drinking it off and on for more than 20 years and before coffee became this huge hipster thing. It’s pretty good so you should try a can. Fair warning is they suggest using only 2/3 the amount of grounds that you normally would because it brews pitch black dark

So I bought some Death Wish whole bean. Made a cup and it is pretty good. It’s not the darkest of roast which probably keeps it from the burnt taste. I would say it’s more of a medium roast but super oily beans. I like that. Overall the cup was pretty good. Maybe the caffeine hasn’t hit me yet but it was really rich and smooth.

if you like dark coffee try Cafe Du Monde. It’s from the famed Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans and it’s a French roast that is roasted with chickory. It does have a faint burnt taste but the chickory really smooths it out. It only come ground but holds up pretty well. I’ve been drinking it off and on for more than 20 years and before coffee became this huge hipster thing. It’s pretty good so you should try a can. Fair warning is they suggest using only 2/3 the amount of grounds that you normally would because it brews pitch black dark
If it comes out like sludge I'm down! Lmao not sure what is wrong with me but haven't had too strong yet. Burnt flavor is gross but bold is good! Looking forward to @ekricket special roast, sounds good!

If it comes out like sludge I'm down! Lmao not sure what is wrong with me but haven't had too strong yet. Burnt flavor is gross but bold is good! Looking forward to @ekricket special roast, sounds good!
I can bring some cafe du monde as well, be there tomorrow before we leave. But I think it’s commercially in most stores nowadays

LOL, so many fancy coffees listed in here. 90% of what I drink is bulk packed folgers that our dept buys by the pallet. I couldn't tell you the difference between Jamaican, South American, African, or wherever.

Saw this cartoon. Thought this thread would appreciate it

A6FA6298-07D1-4A2A-A7C3-EB13D93099B2.jpeg

Glad I stumbled on to this thread! I love coffee. I have it every day and sometimes don't feel complete without it. I always go with whole beans and grind them in the morning. Current equipment is a Bodum Bistro burr grinder and I mostly brew drip through my Bonavita coffee machine. Once in a while I'll use the French press when looking for a change. I'll buy cold brew but won't make it at home mainly because I prefer hot coffee.

I also have a Breville Barista Express for crave some espresso.

Most of the time I get my coffee from a local roaster: https://mozartscoffee.com/
I love the Mozart's blend and sometimes indulge into some of their single origin beans. The Tanzania Peaberry, Costa Rica Honey, and Sumatra are some of my favorites.

Once in a while I'll order from JBC Coffee Roasters. https://www.jbccoffeeroasters.com/product-category/coffee/
My favorite there are their Rock the House blend.

This week I've been enjoying their La Papaya offering.

One of my favorite places to get coffee togo is from Summer Moon. https://summermooncoffee.com/
Aside from their beans being wood roasted, they have this thing they call moon milk which is sweet cream and other spices. https://summermooncoffee.com/pages/about
My wife doesn't really care for coffee but loves the lattes from Summer Moon.

Thanks @toothpic for bumping this thread! I love JBC. I usually stick to the roasters in the Chicago area: Intelligentsia, Dark Matter, Big Shoulders ... but since the pandemic, I've been branching out and exploring roasters from all over. JBC is legit!

I also like Coava and Counter Culture. I'm going to dig through this thread and discover more roasters to try out!

Thanks @toothpic for bumping this thread! I love JBC. I usually stick to the roasters in the Chicago area: Intelligentsia, Dark Matter, Big Shoulders ... but since the pandemic, I've been branching out and exploring roasters from all over. JBC is legit!

I also like Coava and Counter Culture. I'm going to dig through this thread and discover more roasters to try out!
I remember going to Intelligentsia the last time I was in Chicago. I ordered one of their pour over coffees and was amazed by the brewing machine. Coffee was really good as well. Might still have that video somewhere.

Sorry if this has already been posted, but Trade (https://www.drinktrade.com/) was a great way for me to get exposed to a wide range of coffees pretty quick. You can get weekly/biweekly deliveries of new beans from different roasters based on your profile and feedback over time.

I remember going to Intelligentsia the last time I was in Chicago. I ordered one of their pour over coffees and was amazed by the brewing machine. Coffee was really good as well. Might still have that video somewhere.
They are the epitome of coffee nerddom in the area if you ask me. I've never had a bad pour there. Shoot up that video! :)

Found it. Im not sure how to upload a video here so I’ll add a picture instead. I thought it was very cool how the water was poured in circular motions with pauses between pours

23D7C545-38AF-4905-8153-B33048493657.jpeg

Sorry if this has already been posted, but Trade (https://www.drinktrade.com/) was a great way for me to get exposed to a wide range of coffees pretty quick. You can get weekly/biweekly deliveries of new beans from different roasters based on your profile and feedback over time.
Have you ever been to House of Coffee Beans? They are off Bissonet north of the Rice Village area. Strange hours makes it difficult for some to visit, but they were my go to place for beans in Houston.

https://www.houseofcoffeebeans.com/

I like the 1850 Pioneer also, but usually go with the 8 '0 Clock Columbian.

Whole bean. Ground in a vintage grinder from the 1920's. Boiled on the stove like Grandpa used to make it.

Attachments

• 16208574190958432425746314411006.jpg
    16208574190958432425746314411006.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 67
Coava and Heart Roasters in Portland. I order whole bean and pour over or aeropress. If you like hipster small batch single origin roast; these are it.

otherwise cafe du monde as my everyday drinker

....I mostly brew drip through my Bonavita coffee machine....
Interesting. Which model do you have?

We had a Technivorm Moccamaster when we moved down to FL -- best machine I've ever used, with the two-speed brewing basket. But the crappy water down here killed it within a year. (That water also killed a much, much more expensive Jura/Capresso espresso machine...:mad:)

One whole-house water conditioning system installation later, I bought a Bonavita 1800 series machine in 2014. It performed very well -- one pot every morning, the occasional additional pot for dinner parties -- until last week, when one morning it brewed a partial pot and the pump died. Stone dead. Bummer.

So I looked around, and decided on the newer Bonavita 1900 model. They did us well once, so they must know what they're doing, right?

Wrong. The new model uses flat-bottomed Mr.Coffee style filters instead of cone filters. To get anywhere near the same strength of coffee, the new machine requires over 50% more ground coffee than the old Bonavita. Same water, same amount of water, same grind batch, just inferior brew. Aaarrrggghhh. (And the screw-in pouring spout for the thermal carafe is a royal pain in the ass inconvenience as well.)

So do you have an older model, or a more generous assessment of a 1900?

I actually have the 1800 model as well. My first one had an issue and the heat element died after 9 months. I sent a video to support and they sent me a new one pretty quickly. It's been working since 2017 for me. I broke the glass carafe so it's working with a replacement Mr Coffee pot. I also broke the grind canister in my Bodum Bistro grinder so I have a coffee mug there to catch the grinds. It's pretty tough to find just those replacement parts in their original form so I've settled with using them as is until they give in and then upgrade my setup.

Amazon had a sale on the Bonavita BV1902DW for about $40 in 2018 so I bought it as a backup just in case my current died. It sat in the box until my parent's Mr. Coffee died this year so I gave that to them. They said it's pretty good, but it's the flat bottom model as well.

I totally agree, the flat bottom filters just don't seem as efficient as the cone filters. I think if my current machine dies I may splurge on the Technivorm Moccamaster. Next tough decision is what color lol

No life without coffee
I can give up smoking and booze but not coffee

First Cafe in Vienna was established by Polish Nobel after battle with Osmans. So we also can take some credit of introducing coffee to Europe.

If anyone is interested in ordering from JBC Coffee Roasters, there's a memorial day sale.
https://www.jbccoffeeroasters.com/

Memorial Day Sale​

Happy Memorial Day! We are celebrating with a sale. Enjoy 10% off all coffee, merch, and subscriptions now through May 31 with coupon code: memorialday. Combine this with our shipping coupon freeship (good on orders of 3 bags or more) for additional savings.

Please note that we will be closed Memorial Day Monday and all coffee ordered after 11 am CST Friday May 28 through Memorial Day will ship Tuesday June 1. Happy coffee drinking!​

I roast my own coffee weekly. It’s easy actually, way way cheaper overall, and its fun with tons of room for experimentation. I get my green beans from sweet Maria’s coffee website. They also have great guides. I did stovetop roasting first then a stove popcorn popper, and finally an electric hot air popcorn popper which is the best method by far. Here’s some instructions:
https://library.sweetmarias.com/how-to-roast-your-own-coffee/

I roast my own coffee weekly. It’s easy actually, way way cheaper overall, and its fun with tons of room for experimentation. I get my green beans from sweet Maria’s coffee website. They also have great guides. I did stovetop roasting first then a stove popcorn popper, and finally an electric hot air popcorn popper which is the best method by far. Here’s some instructions:
https://library.sweetmarias.com/how-to-roast-your-own-coffee/
Bookmarked! Going to try this one day soon. What coffee bean roasting machines do people find easiest to use and most cost effective?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom