What's the proper etiquette? (1 Viewer)

Brookston

Straight
Reaction score
If someone says they will buy your classifieds listing in the thread, but then doesn't message you or respond to your message, how long do you wait before selling to the next dibs?

Addressing a confirmation, 48 to 72 hours (max). People have lives away from the forum.

If they've been online in the meantime and not replied, and a second offer comes in, I'd shoot one message more to the person who originally showed interest and then sell to the second person if no reply within 24hrs.

If they haven't been online, well then I'd probably wait a while longer to give them the chance to get back online and respond.

If you're referring to me, I'm waiting for you to pm me your Paypal address. That's the usual next step.

Then I pay you, and send you my shipping address.

(Sorry -- I didn't realize you were completely new to selling...)

-- Larry

24 hours of no communication is the maximum. Otherwise it's plain rude. Communication is the key.
I can wait much longer if the person is communicating, citing divorce, family deaths, moving or other credible reasons.
Again, try not to sell or buy when in these situations; but I know you can't ever really programme them.:(

If you're referring to me, I'm waiting for you to pm me your Paypal address. That's the usual next step.

Then I pay you, and send you my shipping address.

(Sorry -- I didn't realize you were completely new to selling...)

-- Larry

I sent you a pm yesterday and heard nothing back Larry. Maybe instead of responding with complete silence you could say something like "yes, I'm still interested in the Crystal Parks, what's your PayPal?"

I would usually do 1-3 days and check to see if they were online during that time, after I sent them the Paypal information

I sent you a pm yesterday and heard nothing back Larry. Maybe instead of responding with complete silence you could say something like "yes, I'm still interested in the Crystal Parks, what's your PayPal?"
I don't think he was starting a battle. He's a solid dude (and him and I have bickered before). PMs get missed, just get the deal made and everyone is happy.

1 week. If it someone who has been around a long time then even longer. Life happens.

I completely agree. When someone says they are going to buy what you have listed, they will follow through.

On occasion, members here have afforded me the time to raise funds when I have committed to make a purchase if given some finite period of time. I have done the same for other members in a couple of my classifieds.

I completely agree. When someone says they are going to buy what you have listed, they will follow through.

On occasion, members here have afforded me the time to raise funds when I have committed to make a purchase if given some finite period of time. I have done the same for other members in a couple of my classifieds.
Did you let them know you needed time?

I have no trouble with waiting for payment if there is communication going on. I kept 200 chips in a drawer for @JeepologyOffroad for a month or so before. But the assumption that I should just send my PayPal as a first message and anything else isn't worth responding to has me, I have to admit, a little annoyed.

Yeah IMO it is just goodwill. Where is the fire?

I probably would have (albeit in fewer words) had I seen your pm. But life is awfully busy, I generally don't do emails/pms on my cell phone, and I didn't.

But maybe not, since I had posted "I'll take them.", and I see that your email said: "Did you want to but[y] the crystal parks?" And my reply would probably have been pretty sarcastic...

So they're your chips, do as you like. Feel free to sell to the next in line...

Honestly if someone writes in the thread but doesnt follow up with a PM and didn't even reply to your pm(s) I'm not gonna sit and wait more than 24h. If they don't reply at that point just sell to the next in line.

You just wanna sell some chips right, and don't really care who buys them as long as they can ship the money to your PayPal in a reasonable time.

Honestly you're not obligated to anything by a 'dibs' from a stranger in your for sale thread, the same way they are not obligated by it so they could also just have changed their mind.

Don't get me wrong, in my sales I will give priority to the first person to message me/write in the thread (and never have had any issue like this), but if they go radio silent after writing just 'dibs' in the thread and there are several other interested people, I only have so much patience.. on the other hand if they reach out to me and ask if it's ok that they pay next week or after a given amount of time I'm usually more than happy to oblige, but radio silence doesn't really work for very long.

Also depends if you need the funds quickly of course. If you need them for another purchase of something it's just whoever can pay fastest gets it

Addressing a confirmation, 48 to 72 hours (max). People have lives away from the forum.
Rare that I agree with mojo about anything, but here's one instance.

As a buyer, I typically wait until the seller provides his payment info, then respond after payment sent with my address.

As a seller, I send payment info and ask for a shipping address, followed by a tracking number after it has been mailed.

I'm not gonna get bent if a day or two (or three) goes by with no response.

Rare that I agree with mojo about anything, but here's one instance.

As a buyer, I typically wait until the seller provides his payment info, then respond after payment sent with my address.

As a seller, I send payment info and ask for a shipping address, followed by a tracking number after it has been mailed.

I'm not gonna get bent if a day or two (or three) goes by with no response.
What's wrong with you, why are you agreeing with us randomly. It's scaring me....

What's wrong with you, why are you agreeing with us randomly. It's scaring me....

As in all things, and across cultures, and generations, and languages, there are far more things that we have in common than set us apart. The latter tends to get the most attention for various reasons, very few of them good. So, not scary at all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom