Do you consider trapping bad etiquette? (1 Viewer)

If playing against a very aggressive player that consistently over bets the river (all-in or huge bet on the river), do you consider setting a trap bad etiquette?

Example: Limp call several hands (maybe more then you might normally play) and fold against the river bet, to set up when/if you hit the flop/make your hand and then slow play it knowing the guy will push on the river.

I personally feel like that’s poker, nothing wrong with it. But have read that some people would consider that bad etiquette..?

And GO -
Only bad etiquette would be shit talking in a friendly game or slow rolling the absolute nuts for suspense purposes. Betting patterns are all fair game, I've made loose aggressive friends hang themselves and sit on the rails at my home game.

"Chyeck Chyeck Chyeck"
7ba7fb8c-3260-4290-b771-f5ea38fee33a_text.gif

Never. One of these days when my kids start playing I’ll be running traps on them and then they can return the favor.

The OP is right to ask. It is morally wrong to misrepresent the strength of you hand when playing poker (either by mannerisms or betting pattern). Some of you are very bad people.

Therefore you can absolutely trust I have nothing but a busted straight.
Same here, except I have a busted flush.

In some universe, busted flushes always beats busted straights, right?

Yup, definite contender for strangest question ever. Next question, is it poor etiquette to win money at poker?

You have limited choices when the action is on you:
  • Passive: Check (if no previous action) or call (if action occurred before you)
  • Aggressive: Bet (if no previous action) or raise (if previous action)
  • Run away: Fold (usually only if previous action, but you can do so with no previous action)
Trapping is simply exercising one of those options strategically in anticipation of another player exercising his option in a predictable manner. Same with check raising.

I think that whoever you heard that from doesn’t understand the concept of the game.

Last edited:
The OP is right to ask. It is morally wrong to misrepresent the strength of you hand when playing poker (either by mannerisms or betting pattern). Some of you are very bad people.

Therefore you can absolutely trust I have nothing but a busted straight.
Same here, except I have a busted flush.

In some universe, busted flushes always beats busted straights, right?
I got both of you crushed. I'm the King of the busted Straight Flush. (Wish I was lying)

Our game plays with the hands face-up, so everyone knows what everyone has. Helps cut down on the bad feelings.
Ah yes.

My game is the same.

In addition, when you're on the button, you must say at least one nice thing about the small blind preflop, and a compliment to the big blind post flop.

What a merry time we have! Good will amongst all!

Was on the bubble in a home game tourney and I heard someone at the cash table in the next room say, "You can't check and then raise!" I pushed all in blind on the next hand, busted and doubled up in the cash game on my 2nd hand.
Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

I noticed that nobody here is speaking for the muskrats. I happen to know for a fact that they are 100% against trapping. Vehemently against it. But nobody wants to hear that narrative, because of their luxurious pelts. There aren’t even good statistics available about this to make an argument against it with. The trappers make sure of that by obsfucating what they’re doing out there in the swamplands and marshes.

Also, there aren’t very good stats because muskrats are basically waterborne rats with raccoon fur, and they are poorly represented by our elected officials.

#trappingisbullshit
#lesstrapsmoreswimmers

I noticed that nobody here is speaking for the muskrats. I happen to know for a fact that they are 100% against trapping. Vehemently against it. But nobody wants to hear that narrative, because of their luxurious pelts. There aren’t even good statistics available about this to make an argument against it with. The trappers make sure of that by obsfucating what they’re doing out there in the swamplands and marshes.

Also, there aren’t very good stats because muskrats are basically waterborne rats with raccoon fur, and they are poorly represented by our elected officials.

#trappingisbullshit
#lesstrapsmoreswimmers
Muskrat Love!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom