Tourney What tilts you? (3 Viewers)

Well there are things that annoy me to no end but few that actually tilt me.

Things that annoy me are basically all types of goofy poker schtick....sunglasses, good luck charms, throwing poker theory terms around, pre dealing cards, making change from the pot in the middle of a hand...etc.

The only thing that really tilts me is when poor players get lucky over and over. I joined a poker league where the level of play is pretty bad...like first year of the poker boom noob bad. This very nice woman is the definition of a calling station. I joke that she is the Will Rodgers of poker...she never met a hand she didn’t like. If she flops bottom pair she is in until the river no matter what. And she gets lucky!!! A lot! It’s almost supernatural. I have to admit this tilts me greatly.

Last edited:
Agreed. But when everyone is a poor player and there is no fear of loss because of the low stakes....it’s just the cards. The only strategy to employ that seems to work is the so called “small ball” strategy. She has upset many better players trying to make her pay for her bad play by making her risk her entire stack on a shit hand. She seems to come from behind 95% of the time in those situations. You have to see it to believe it.

She snuck into the final table at the end and was out very early. The people that made it to the final were the best 9 players and she wasn’t able to over come that .... but she did inflict some casualties on the way out!

BTW, I was heads up to win the league with $80K in chips and my opponent had one single $1K chip after I took a massive pot. The blinds were absurdly high, I think $10K/20K. He went on to win 10+ hands in a row and win. It took several hands for him to even be able to cover the SB. Never saw anything like it in my life. The house is possessed.

I used to tilt when players made crappy plays and lucked out (at my expense).

What I did to overcome it though was to keep reminding myself about something that Sklansky wrote in his old Hold'em book (paraphrased); it's all about mistakes, and you want to minimize your own and maximize your opponent's. So I played as you point out a bit more 'small ball', and in cash games just always kept track of basic theory - always calling when the odds are right, always making them pay when they're clearly drawing.

Over (literally) the years I'm a winning player in our low stakes games, and they are not. Even if they're on a winning streak making big wins, I'll typically end up ahead on any given night. It's just that me buying in for $50 and walking out with $70 is less sexy and memorable than someone else lucking out and walking out with $320. But I'm almost always walking away with more than I bought in for, and to me that makes me a better player and that prevents me from tilting...

I used to tilt when players made crappy plays and lucked out (at my expense).

What I did to overcome it though was to keep reminding myself about something that Sklansky wrote in his old Hold'em book (paraphrased); it's all about mistakes, and you want to minimize your own and maximize your opponent's. So I played as you point out a bit more 'small ball', and in cash games just always kept track of basic theory - always calling when the odds are right, always making them pay when they're clearly drawing.

Over (literally) the years I'm a winning player in our low stakes games, and they are not. Even if they're on a winning streak making big wins, I'll typically end up ahead on any given night. It's just that me buying in for $50 and walking out with $70 is less sexy and memorable than someone else lucking out and walking out with $320. But I'm almost always walking away with more than I bought in for, and to me that makes me a better player and that prevents me from tilting...

All true and this is my experience. The laws of probability are sometimes frustrating though. You should win a literal coin flip half the time but it doesn’t mean “heads” can’t come up 10 times in a row. That takes discipline to stay focused.

Last edited:
In tournaments, players who fail to table their hand in a showdown that involves an all-in. I strictly enforce this rule as a dealer and tournament director, and I do not play in tournaments where this rule is not enforced.

In tournaments, players who fail to table their hand in a showdown that involves an all-in. I strictly enforce this rule as a dealer and tournament director, and I do not play in tournaments where this rule is not enforced.

Why is it such a big deal for you?

And why in tourneys and not in cash?

YES!!! X 1000!

How can it be that half (maybe it only seems that high) of the people in my town cannot properly conjugate one of the simplest and most common verbs?!

I’m in Northern NJ, but I have a bunch of employees that are from Scranton, PA, and that’s all they say... “I seen Mike at the gas station this morning.” And they all say it. Every time. Never once do they slip in a proper usage lol. It baffles me. I even find myself saying it by accident when I’m talking to one of them.

Imagine if someone string bet by saying “I seen your 100 and raise you 250.”

YES!!! X 1000!

How can it be that half (maybe it only seems that high) of the people in my town cannot properly conjugate one of the simplest and most common verbs?!
Imagine having them conjugate in a language where the verb doesn't change just tense-wise, but also person-wise (the up side would be that they wouldn't have to say I, you, he/she, we, you, they: it would be evident from the verb's suffix):LOL: :laugh:

YES!!! X 1000!

I'm in year 13 of a publishing career, specifically editorial and educational content development. I also have my side venture publishing books. It's literally part of my job and my (very) small business to correct grammatical errors.

Yet I still say "I seen" in speech. I use "ain't" once in a while as well, and "I'mma," and plenty of other colloquial phrases. And IDGAF. I know the rules intimately. That should entitle me to break them with impunity.

To make it poker tilting—

“I seen your 500, and...I raise you 350.”

I’m in Northern NJ, but I have a bunch of employees that are from Scranton, PA, and that’s all they say... “I seen Mike at the gas station this morning.” And they all say it. Every time. Never once do they slip in a proper usage lol. It baffles me. I even find myself saying it by accident when I’m talking to one of them.

Imagine if someone string bet by saying “I seen your 100 and raise you 250.”
I posted my grammatically incorrect string bet before I seen you’re post.

I actually have a friend who says “I seen”, and also, “I have saw.”

20190102_153818.jpg
in

No, they don't insist on that, it's more of a question. What happens (frequently) is this:

Beaker: "100".
Me: "Raise to 250"
JohnDoe: "What's the minimum I can raise again?"
FrankDoe: "It has to be twice the previous."
JohnDoe: "Ok, so I make it at least 500 total?"
Me, for the infinitieth time: "No, a raise should be equal to or higher than the largest bet or raise on this betting round, and never below the big blind."
JohnDoe: "Ok... so....???"

Two-three times per night. Year after year.

It's all due to people saying "it has to be double" after the initial bet. So if it had been "JohnDoe" acting before me after you bet 100, someone would have told John "It (total wager) has to be at least 2x when you raise". They don't realize that that's not the rule, it is the coincidental result of the rule in that very first instance.
That's a 150 raise from 100 to 250, so next minimum raise is 400 from that 250.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom