What is PCF reading? (1 Viewer)

Currently reading:

Neal Stephenson's "Seveneves"
Edmund Morris's "Colonel Roosevelt" (3rd volume of a stunning biography of TR)

On deck:

David McCollough's "Wright Brothers"

Benefit of living in NYC...I just had my copy of Seveneves signed by Stephenson, and a few weeks ago McCollough signed all my copies of a few of his books.

I am currently reading a fantasy book called The Darker Shade of Magic by Victoria Schwab. It's too early to say for sure, but interesting so far.

In this genre, I would recommend The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss which is my favorite of recent fantasy works.

FWIW I also enjoyed Old Man's War by Scalzi. His book Red Shirts was also entertaining and Your Hate Mail Will Be Graded was hysterical.

Field of Prey by John Sandford (http://www.johnsandford.org/). I have all read all of his books (the Kidd novels, the Prey series, and the Virgil Flowers series). I find them really well done. It does help to read them in order to understand the motivations of some of the characters.

I guess I should point out that if you read them in order, and you're reading Field of Prey, you haven't read them all.

(If you're addicted to Sanford, this should be welcome news.) :)

I'm a big fan of Michael Lewis. Currently reading "Flash Boys a Wall Street Revolt"
But I will always have a soft spot for Moneyball. I read it in hardback before the paperback came out, and I gave it to my Dad for Christmas that same year. That book allowed Dad and I to really bond over baseball, and show him I was listening & paying attention all along. ( tough for a woman in her early 30's at the time...)

I guess I should point out that if you read them in order, and you're reading Field of Prey, you haven't read them all.

(If you're addicted to Sanford, this should be welcome news.) :)

I wait for the paperbacks. Field of Prey just came out recently in that format. The next Virgil Flowers book should be out in the Fall. And yeah, I'm addicted. It will be a sad day when he stops.

Contemplating a major purchase - currently reading about the pros and cons of the Scag Cheetah vs. the Gravely 472. How many PCFers actually know what I'm talking about without consulting Google? I sure didn't before the past couple of weeks...

I'm getting surprisingly into it though. :cool:

I looked up Google and still have no idea what you're talking about

Sounds like something for the back forty.

Ah, yes....... which did you choose?

gallery_Cheetah.jpg

Pro_Turn_460InUse.jpg

Sounds like something for the back forty.

Ah, yes....... which did you choose?
]

Haven't yet, and there are other contenders - Gravely definitely the frontrunner at the moment though. [emoji106]

Haven't yet, and there are other contenders - Gravely definitely the frontrunner at the moment though. [emoji106]
I'm thinking about an exmark next year. Probably a pioneer with 60" deck, my uncle just bought one and he loves it. I have almost 5 acres to mow now, and takes over two hrs to mow with my old 42"er.....then I still have to weed eat.

Last edited:
I wait for the paperbacks. Field of Prey just came out recently in that format. The next Virgil Flowers book should be out in the Fall. And yeah, I'm addicted. It will be a sad day when he stops.

"Wait"? Man, that's hard to do.

For authors like Sanford and Connelly, I pre-order the hardcovers on Amazon, and the first edition is always delivered to the house on the day of release.

For authors who write at a lower level, like Lee Child, I pre-order the Kindle version.

Sadly, they all stop. Sax Rohmer, Rex Stout, and on and on... :(

Tommy, Sacre Bleu is three years old, but it is a terrific book. His latest, Serpent of Venice, was a bit lackluster, IMO.

One of my two or three favorite authors ever, and both Thief of Time and Small Gods are in my all-time top ten.

Also, he's one of the few authors whose books written for teens are quite readable for adults.
I have tried starting it a few times, but it doesn't grip me from the get go like most of his others. I am not familiar with that era of art (any era really ;) ) so it is a lot harder to stay interested.

Sir PTerry is definitely in my top 5 authors.

Thanks to all in this thread who recommended Seveneves. I haven't traditionally been a huge fan of Neal Stephenson, so I might not otherwise have picked it up, but I grabbed it today and am about 20% in and love it. Very much looking forward to the rest and to any sequels.

Thanks to all in this thread who recommended Seveneves. I haven't traditionally been a huge fan of Neal Stephenson, so I might not otherwise have picked it up, but I grabbed it today and am about 20% in and love it. Very much looking forward to the rest and to any sequels.

Get "Cryptonomicon" next. It's my favorite of Stephenson's books. Really fantastic.

Got this for a quick read on the iPad, as my firm was a little more than peripherally involved in the interesting yet tragic arc that was BlackBerry. You'll like this if you work in the technology space at all (particularly in mobile).

"Losing the Signal: The Untold Story Behind The Extraordinary Rise And Spectacular Fall of BlackBerry" - Jacquie McNish & Sean Silcoff

I was trying to read the first book in the "Wheel of Time" series. 100 pages in and I was bored. "fantasy" style novels aren't my thing.
I have also heard good things about Seveneves so I have it reserved at our local library.

B

The Martian by Andy Weir - Audio book was an easy listen but I have the epub version as well
A Dance with Dragons - GRRM because I can't wait for season 6. I have to know whats going on.

The Martian by Andy Weir - Audio book was an easy listen but I have the epub version as well

another one that is sitting unread on my kindle. next on my list, i think, mostly because people tell me it's a very, very quick read.

another one that is sitting unread on my kindle. next on my list, i think, mostly because people tell me it's a very, very quick read.

Really quick, and really funny. I watched an interview with the author and he was saying most of it is based in real science. The audio book was easier for me to do at work and that was 8.5 hours. I would recommend it to anyone.

Really quick, and really funny. I watched an interview with the author and he was saying most of it is based in real science. The audio book was easier for me to do at work and that was 8.5 hours. I would recommend it to anyone.

it's pretty difficult for me to do audiobooks. even when i had a long commute they just didn't work for me. i can do detailed and involved podcasts and lectures, but fiction just doesn't quite sink in when i listen for some reason.

the newest things i have waiting in my queue:

J by Howard Jacobson
Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle
So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson

the Ronson book is really the first on my list, but i've gotten distracted by Seveneves and now maybe by the Martian...

it's pretty difficult for me to do audiobooks. even when i had a long commute they just didn't work for me....

I've tried them on long trips, and they just seem painfully slow. If I read that slowly, I'd have to shoot myself.

I've tried them on long trips, and they just seem painfully slow. If I read that slowly, I'd have to shoot myself.

i think that's the problem. i can deal with something that seems conversational even if it's essentially a lecture read by the speaker. but with audiobooks, my mind drifts even in the tiniest gaps between relevant ideas. maybe it's only when it's fiction? hard to say.

I just finished "Cry of the Kalahari", which is an unbelievable memoir about a husband and wife who packed up and moved to the middle of Africa with almost nothing and lived among lions and hyenas.

For poker, I enjoyed "Molly's Game". It was entertaining reading (and fantasizing) about the big Hollywood games.

Now I'm finally taking a crack at "Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid", which has been sitting on the shelf for a couple of years. The first 100 pages weren't too complicated.

Does anyone else use GoodReads? I can't remember what I liked (or even read) without it:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/17197067-keith-carangelo?shelf=read

i think that's the problem. i can deal with something that seems conversational even if it's essentially a lecture read by the speaker. but with audiobooks, my mind drifts even in the tiniest gaps between relevant ideas. maybe it's only when it's fiction? hard to say.

I'm usually the same way, but I thought the narrator of the Martian was really good. I am also comparing this to the Game of Thrones books which is an 88+ year old Shakespearean actor. I couldn't get through any of it.\

I would say give The Martian audio a preview in iTunes and see if you like the voice.

About to buy seveneves. Do I need to read any of his other novels first? Or is it a stand alone novel?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom