What do you do?? (1 Viewer)

Part of me can't wait for that, part of me never wants it to happen.

It will start when they can keep up with you speed-wise. Next, you'll have trouble bumping them off the puck and or they will strip you of the puck. Then, they'll disagree with you on the best way to break a neutral zone trap.

Like I said, awesome and sad at the same time.

My career has been one of highs and lows. Currently in a low and debating a move.

- Painted old shipping containers
- Research technician (building experiments for clever people)
- Pub DJ
- Reliability Engineering Consultant
- Group Lead/Section Manager
- Country Manager (for our office in the Caribbean)
- Area Manager (Middle East & India)
- Reliability Engineering Consultant

The last 5 were in the same company but in 5 different countries.

I'm currently a managing editor for an educational publishing company.

Aside from occasional travel for conferences and important in-house meetings, I work entirely from home and have been for about 9 years.

IT professional primary job database design and architecture but as I close in on retirement doing this a lot more....
IMG_3469.JPG
IMG_3468.JPG

Retired AF where I was a Software Engineer, now a Software Engineer for IBM on a Government sub contract. So, basically, all of you have paid for my 10,000 plus chips, so I thank you all and ask that you remember when I come to buy chips from you, you are ultimately paying for them, so you really should give me a great price - just saying.

IT Security Consultant - will work for Empress Stars

Reactions: JWC
PeopleSoft. You can all hate me now.
(If you aren't familiar, it is an ERP software solution that makes everyone's lives miserable)
2 1/2 years later .. still doing PeopleSoft. I'm on my 3rd company since this post though. :)

Graduated in May 1997, started working in PeopleSoft in June 1997. 21 1/2 years later ... never thought in a million years I'd still be doing it...
places I've worked:
  • EcoLab - St. Paul, MN
  • Giant Foods (local-ish grocery chain) - Landover MD
  • Georgetown University - Washington DC
  • USinternetworking* - Annapolis (greatest company ever when it was young, more below)
  • Campus Crusade for Christ - Orlando FL
  • Fannie Mae - Washington DC
  • Morgan Stanley - NY/Baltimore
  • small company in MD which sucked
  • Accenture
  • sub-contractor to Deloitte
  • Allegis Group - MD (parent company of Aerotek, which Steve Bischotti - owner of the Ravens- started)
  • Deloitte..

*USi was a great company that gave employees ridiculous stock options, crazy benefits, and threw money around like it was easier to get than air. we had corporate boats and jet skis that we could take any time (you scheduled them in outlook - they gassed them up and maintained them. you showed up, and took them out). They provided coolers of Soda and water all day, free. Every Thursday was pizza day, and they bought pizza for every building, with enough leftovers to take a pie or 2 home. They had quarterly parties with open bars. For their IPO, they hosted helicopter rides over Annapolis, free of charge.

When I started, I was issued 1000 shares of stock with a price of $22. This was April 1998. I couldn't sell until I vested 1 calendar year later. The stock was doing great, and did a 3/2 split - twice. My price was down to about $9/share. Around mid march, the stock price was around $120/share and I ordered by BMW. My vesting date was 4/17. around April 1, something happened. something BAD happened, and the stock PLUMMETED. on my vesting date, 2 weeks later, the stock was selling at $28/share now. I figured it would come up -- IT HAD too. By early July, it was officially listed as a penny stock. I was laid off in September that year, and by Dec, they filed bankruptcy. .. what a crazy ride that was !!

Last edited:
I caddied from age 12-24. If you have a son, he needs to do this. The friends, the money, the outdoors, the connections, it is the single best job for a kid. Period.

In college, I worked at a non-profit company that was rooted in seeking education policy reform. I didn’t get too involved in the political aspect - my main focus was logistics re: putting together our events. Every summer we ran several huge backpack/school supply giveaways in underprivileged communities throughout NJ.

After I graduated, I joined our family business, working in the garage/warehouse. I’ve since taken over the day to day project estimating/bidding responsibilities.

We provide decorative seamless epoxy flooring, mostly on commercial/public work, but if anyone wants their garage done, send me a PM!

5388495E-BF23-4659-BD57-EBAA729ADB06.jpeg
AEC73179-EDEE-4B3B-B140-21EFB9C31284.jpeg
7398698C-C387-4683-A0CE-0C59803431CB.jpeg

We've been dying to get floors like that in the new firehouse. Low maintenance, high durability, and holds up to the water-fights (and cleans-up easier) when a rookie comes on (though I deny any knowledge of such activity).

Sadly the city refuses to allow any firefighters to participate in spec'ing out the stations. :(

...but if you want to cold call a city (currently preparing to build another new station in the 2019-20 budget year) to tout your wares, send me a PM and I'll send you an address...

Low maintenance, high durability

Amen. Firehouses are a staple for us.

Get yourself a high build 1/8”-3/16” thick system, you won’t regret it. Same idea as poker chips, in a way. Buy once, cry once. These floors are not cheap, but they will also last as long as the building they’re in, if properly maintained.

Many cities/departments opt for the “roll-on” cheap stuff that you can buy in any Home Depot, roll it on top of any old concrete slab, and then are perplexed when it begins to chip/flake/lose its bond. Do it right.

Amen. Firehouses are a staple for us.

Get yourself a high build 1/8”-3/16” thick system, you won’t regret it. Same idea as poker chips, in a way. Buy once, cry once. These floors are not cheap, but they will also last as long as the building they’re in, if properly maintained.

Many cities/departments opt for the “roll-on” cheap stuff that you can buy in any Home Depot, roll it on top of any old concrete slab, and then are perplexed when it begins to chip/flake/lose its bond. Do it right.
Sadly, I don't get a say. It always goes to "low bid", but they have the ability to spec it in exactly how they like - right down to propriarity compounds or processes when it suits them. So while the Police Station was built extremely well, the Chief of Police works out of the Police Station and is a part of spec'ing out the bid. In the Fire Dept, the Fire Chief works out of City Hall, so he saves money on his budget by getting us the cheap stuff (laminate tiles) that pop-up after 15 years, and require weekly buffing. :mad:

I’m always curious about what people do for a living. I like to know the how/why of their choice of occupation. Do they do it because they love it or because it’s what happened?

It's interesting to understand what special talents and/or skills are involved in doing their job. I’m also intrinsically interested in all kinds of jobs and I appreciate what goes into doing that job well.

I’m always curious about what people do for a living. I like to know the how/why of their choice of occupation. Do they do it because they love it or because it’s what happened?

I worked in finance for a decade most recently as an executive of a small investment advisory firm. I had a “dream” job offer and realized that career wasn’t for me so I turned down the job offer and quit my job. I have been a photographer for the last, almost, decade since.

Last edited:
I have worked for 17 years in the specialty chemicals manufacturing industry for the large part.

I have been in a few different fields since 2002 when I started out as certified pressure vessel operator. (boilers, compressors and steam turbines mostly)

I have worked as a "water treatment plant operator", "Methanol Production Process Operator" and as a "Building
Operator".

Additional postings include "Process Operator" at a copper production facility. (Mining industry) and a "Maintenance Technician" at a commercial laundry facility.

I got into this line of work because I thought it'd provide steady work that pays well. In my line of work, it's easy to make obscene money if you are willing to work just a few extra days a month, which I do. That's how I manage chipping. :)

I've been at my present post for 7 years this past August 1st. It has been the longest tenure of continuous employment ever hadwith a single company. We are in the business of production and sales of Sodium Chlorate(NaClO3). The short version is we buy salt (NaCl) and run it through an electrolytic "anode/cathode" cell line using up to 114 KA of electrical current. Yes...you read it right...114 KA. Look it up...because it's an INSANE amount of electrical energy.

In my very first posting, I was looking after a steam drum that was under pressure to the tune of 10,800KPa (Around 2200psi for all you standard guys) with a temperature of around 355c. (Superheated steam)

I have been promoted once. Lots of extra pay. Helps keep me loyal. I'm presently a unionized worker. I'm not for or against such groups. Just go with what I'm given.

I work 3 days a week. 12hr shifts. Some nights and some days.

That's my career in a short form!

Talent Acquisition, been in the field for about 7 years. Currently working for a clinical research company.

It's interesting to understand what special talents and/or skills are involved in doing their job. I’m also intrinsically interested in all kinds of jobs and I appreciate what goes into doing that job well.

My real job? I own and operate MoxieMen Incorporated, a results-based digital marketing firm in Grand Rapids, MI.

How did I get into this line of work? in 2009 I was downsized out of a retail management job through no fault of my own, and decided I didn't want to work in that field anymore. So while unemployed, I spoke to a friend of mine who happened to own (still does) one of the larger agencies in town about how a background in customer service/management would translate to ao different field.

Long story short, that summer I began working at his company on a contract basis. It worked out fine and I learned a ton, but the workload fluctuated. At the same time I saw all the smaller types of projects they were turning away from companies that couldn't afford large agency retainers. So I began scooping a few of those smaller jobs up on the side and before I knew it the side work was exceeding the work from my buddy's agency. So after about a year I went out on my own as a freelance SEO/copywriter/web designer.

From there it more or less took on a life of it's own, and over the last decade I built a team, secured office space and have served clients from locales ranging from California to Jerusalem.

My other gig that most of you are probably more familiar with is designing and selling custom poker chip cases.

PeopleSoft. You can all hate me now.
(If you aren't familiar, it is an ERP software solution that makes everyone's lives miserable)
I am happy to report, that as of last week, I am no longer a PeopleSoft person. :)
on to newer technologies (that are really far over my head, and I have a lot of catching up to do).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom