What are you listening to? (4 Viewers)

Listening to Amon Amarth, "Ravens Flight" while I update my Active Attacker Presentation. Great music! Probably not on @abby99 radar :)
I liked the intro, but I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I started laughing when the vocals came in. Is that representative of their music?
@abby99 Disturbed is "light rock" btw :)
We didn't cover the various genres of rock in my musicology program, and as you can probably tell, I'm not familiar with anything with the word metal in it. I think of light rock as Led Zep, Queen, the Beatles, the Stones, Black Sabbath, etc. You know, the stuff we hear on classic rock stations. Much of the information on the various types of metal that I've found on the internet is contradictory. Or were you pulling my leg?

I've compared four recent covers of Sound of Silence and still prefer Disturb's version because of Draiman's musicality, the warmth of his voice, and his technical skills; and Disturb's interpretation and superb orchestration, and other factors. It's difficult to compare these covers with S&G's folk original from 50+ years earlier. Although they all share the same lyrics and melodies, they are oh so different. It seems that the original cover arrangement was the work of Disturb, and that their version served as the basis for the others (Touch of Class, Todd Hoffman, and Pentatonix).

So why do I relate so strongly to Disturb's version? I was 17 when S&G's recording was released in 1964, about 3 months after Kennedy's assassination, in the midst of the cold war, and shortly before serious civil unrest in the US and before things heated up in Vietnam. I understand that Simon was writing about social isolation and the lack of communication. Heavy stuff, as we would have said at the time. However, I didn't see a strong relationship between the pretty folk music and sweet harmonies, and the underlying message of the lyrics. Disturb's version, and especially Draiman's performance, were the most compelling factors that prompted me to study this piece. The lyrics are so relevant today. I get the angst. It's a powerful piece.

Omg I hate the disturbed cover of sound of silence so much.

The original is infinitely better.

Hey, if we all liked the same things, there would be just one flavor of ice cream. Probably vanilla.

Edited to add: I feel as if I've just written a prospectus for an analysis paper!

Sorry i'm from the worst neighbourhood of France (where cops don't come)....I Like street rap.
What kind of rap do you play ?
No. I’m sorry ! Everyone has different taste. I shouldn’t judge.

Went and saw Mr Earle at an outdoor venue a couple of years back...great show

He was there with another great poet our very own Paul Kelly

I could listen to this style of music for an entire poker session.

(sounds 100% better through good speakers)

Things you can do with a pair of drumsticks and a bass guitar.....i guess some things get better with age....and not talking bout the mullet

What am I listening to? The sound of my empty chip racks.

tumblr_m3vi5jpd591qiz3j8o1_500.gif

In memory of the late, great Marie Fredriksson, I’m listening to Roxette. A truly great band. May she RIP.

Edit: no sign of snow, though here yet. It can hardly happen once a year in Athens, while the Greek mainland is already freezing.

In recognition of Eddie Vedder whose birthday is this Monday:

Pearl Jam performing Yellow Ledbetter at Madison Square Garden

Another band that has a very distinctive sound is Big Head Todd and the Monsters

Here are two of their songs live at the Red Rocks:

Check out the vocals of Hazel Miller:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom