What are you listening to? (6 Viewers)

Two of the last three nights, we've been blessed during dinner by being forced to listen to a guy playing "Hit the road, Jack" and motown tunes -- on the accordion.

I have to think I've pimped him in this thread before, but have been jamming Josh Ritter's latest album for the last week and then he showed up in the Billions season finale with this, one of the best tracks on that album.

And here's a classic that holds up like crazy. Great live performance, too.

And another from the same show.

RIP Brad Grey (thank him almost as much as Garry Shandling if you love the Larry Sanders Show; obituary-ish story here). Good reason to pump a great Loudon Wainwright track that name drops Brad.

The new TajMo album -- excellent!

tajmo.jpg

TajMo release debuts at #1
on the Billboard Blues Chart

"We wanted to do a real good record together, but we didn't want to do the record that everyone expected us to do," blues legend Taj Mahal says of TajMo, his historic collaboration with fellow true believer Keb' Mo'. With TajMo in the can and their first highly anticipated collective tour planned, Taj Mahal and Keb' Mo' are excited about the prospect of getting their new music out into the world.

And sad to say, today is about Jimmy LaFave -- another one gone. A lot of great originals, and the best cover of Walk Away Renee to ever bring a tear to your eye:

His obituary ends with:

"In lieu of flowers, the family asks that you make a donation to the pet charity of your choice or perform an act of unsolicited kindness."

Beat that.

Great grinding music. Guy's instagram is also fire. His album/single covers are hilarious and he's all about the sizzurp and kush.

EDIT: I mean look at this. It's like if Lisa Frank hung out with Lil Wayne.

60HrQb4.png

EUPvZFT.png

h3Vnknv.png

25ncV4x.png

Last edited:
I don't dislike Beyonce, but it's hard for me to understand how anyone could believe her music is better than her sister's. This was the single off Solange's album and obviously a huge song, but for good reason. It's amazing.

Sade fan?

Yeah I dig Sade. She's in the group of singers from that era and prior that I'd have loved to see work with the palette of sounds and production available nowadays. Lots to be said for the virtues of working within limitations, but I can't help but wonder how people like Marvin Gaye and Sade would have exploited the studio today.

One day many years ago, we were walking from the Natural History Museum south, down one of the wide paved paths in Central Park, NYC, on a Sunday afternoon. We heard this music up ahead. As we rounded a curve, there was a huge sound system set up, and 20-30 people dancing on roller skates to this incredible singer. That was our introduction to Sade.

Another act in that category is Tuck & Patti. They come to the Birchmere in Alexandria and Blues Alley in DC every year, and do knockout shows.

One day many years ago, we were walking from the Natural History Museum south, down one of the wide paved paths in Central Park, NYC, on a Sunday afternoon. We heard this music up ahead. As we rounded a curve, there was a huge sound system set up, and 20-30 people dancing on roller skates to this incredible singer. That was our introduction to Sade.

They still do Roller Disco every Sat/Sun from spring to fall... it's just east of Sheep's Meadow, right near the bandshell south of Bethesda Fountain.

Huh, thanks. I'm really surprised -- it must have been 20 or more years ago.

Yep, people have been skating in that area since the late 70's (and before all around there).
The organized dance skating has been going on since the mid/late 90's when the Central Park Dance Skaters Association (CPDSA) was formed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom