Versa Birdcage mod (1 Viewer)

Greykin

Two Pair
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I like the look of acrylic birdcages, but the flimsy nature of 2 or 3 screws into a load-bearing acrylic handle just bugs the crap out of me. I know that you can get heavier duty birdcages from Bank Supplies...but the price is a little on the stiff side and there doesn't seem to be any room at the top for cards and dealer buttons. So I'm liking the Versa birdcage design the best, but I really wish it had clear panes rather than the corrugated aluminum.

1. If you own a Versa Birdcage, what's your opinion of it?

2. Has anyone tried to drill out the rivets anchoring the side panels and replace them with 3mm acrylic panels and screws/lock washers/nuts? It looks like the rigidity comes from the corners and edges, so I think this would work...but it's hard to tell from pictures.

Versa.jpg

I have the 600 chip model and love it. I like the fact that you can carry chips in racks and that they’re not tipped on their side while carrying.

The main difference between this and the acrylic ones (other than being solid instead of clear) is that the top section with the handle actually bears the weight of the chips. On an acrylic birdcage, the handle goes through to the base, so the main part is not bearing weight.

If you’ll notice, the hinges (which also bear weight) are also riveted to the panel…not sure it would be smart to remove and replace all that?
Also, the interior of the upper section is slightly padded, so that any tipping and touching of the inside by the chips will be protected. I think if it were acrylic, the stacks could touch and rub, making them scratched/cloudy.

Interesting idea, but not without a few issues I’m afraid.

I have the 600 chip model and love it. I like the fact that you can carry chips in racks and that they’re not tipped on their side while carrying.

The main difference between this and the acrylic ones (other than being solid instead of clear) is that the top section with the handle actually bears the weight of the chips. On an acrylic birdcage, the handle goes through to the base, so the main part is not bearing weight.

If you’ll notice, the hinges (which also bear weight) are also riveted to the panel…not sure it would be smart to remove and replace all that?
Also, the interior of the upper section is slightly padded, so that any tipping and touching of the inside by the chips will be protected. I think if it were acrylic, the stacks could touch and rub, making them scratched/cloudy.

Interesting idea, but not without a few issues I’m afraid.
Ahhhh yeah, I didn't notice those top rivets in the latches. Thanks for your insight, I think I'll pick up the 1000 chip version later today.

Getting the bottom racks out of the base may initially seem difficult, but if you reach down and slide one all the way to the side, you can lift it easier.
There was a video of someone doing that posted somewhere here, I’ll look and try to update.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom