Vacation picture dump (2 Viewers)

Nice choice! Growing up, my family used to vacation most years in Surf City...
My mother-in-law purchased a house on the beach (North Beach) in 1966 for the tune of 40,000. At the time, it was the second house from the beach. years later, someone found a way to partially build their house on the dune, so my in-laws house was #3. Either way, it is on the beach essentially. In 2006, with their health failing, they sold the house to their nephew. While the deal was a bad one, we combined our resources and bought the house I live now. They moved in with us that year, and stayed with us until their final days.

Fast forward a few years, the nephew sold the house, and we figured that would be the last we saw of it. in 2016, we decided after a 10 year hiatus from LBI that we wanted to go back. My wife was searching rentals, and wouldn't you know it .. the house was for rent. We scooped it right up, and have stayed friendly with the owner. We rented the house again this year, and had an amazing week. My wife spent many a summer at LBI, as most of her extended family had places on the island as well (5 houses total between family members). All but 1 have been sold. The last remaining house is on the bay side around 19th street.

When I first met my wife, we would drive up to LBI during the off-season and spend the weekends there. While I don't have as many memories of the island as my wife and her family, it does have a very special place in my heart for sure.

The picture above with the walkway between the 2 large houses is taken from the upstairs deck of her mother's house. In the past, you could see the ocean from the deck, but they have built the dunes up much higher since Sandy devastated the island a few years back. It's still just a short 100 ft. walk to the beach, but now you have a mountain of a dune to climb.

TL:DR.
I love LBI.

Nice shot, except for the poor kid being forced to wear the MSU shirt. :eek:
That's actually a Michigan State hockey Championships t-shirt, but Ace is a Sparty, with Dad and Deuce. Trey and Mom are Wolverines fans.

It's been a long decade for them...

Where was this? I've done a little hiking in the Blue Ridge area.

Nice pics @WedgeRock , the Smokies are awesome, I spent a few days there with my Dad a few months ago during a trip to the Jack Daniel's distillery. We are in Acadia this week.

Did a trip to Bar Harbor/Acadia and Cape Cod a couple of weeks ago, great trip.

Hiking and biking in Acadia:
20180726_140743.jpg
20180727_145820.jpg
20180727_115419.jpg

Popovers at Jordan Pond House in Acadia (and my first carbs in like 3 months lol)

20180726_115154.jpg

There were a half dozen great white shark sitings while we were in Cape Cod, kept the beach crowds down a bit :)
20180731_094933.jpg
20180730_081654.jpg
20180731_095711.jpg

Campfire on the beach is always one of the highlights of a trip up to the Cape

20180801_201731.jpg

And then stopped at Battleship Cove on the way home

20180804_100612.jpg

20180804_102308.jpg

Great pics, dude. Why no carbs? That's gotta be hard. Just fruit, veggies and meat, then?

Doc recommended a keto diet to help lose some weight and help with the sugar level. It's been an interesting change so far, but 3+ months later and nearly 50lbs and the best bloodwork I've had in a decade and I really can't complain. Cheated a bit on vacation lol.

Billy, I know you are not a trained photographer, but there is a lot you can do with framing the subject that will greaty improve your photos.

Take this picture for example...

See how your faces are kinda darkened but with a hint of color? I assume you were under an umbrella? You can improve the picture greatly, even with a cell phone, by making minor adjustments that address the problematic areas of a photo.

Screenshot_20180811-135911.jpg

Isn't that alot better?

Last edited:
Family vacation in the OBX right now...

Beach house with three families. Loads of fun, first time to the NC coast.

3DE8AFE8-7632-486D-A88F-EBCB8BC8F952.jpeg

F7BA571A-904B-4BC6-8AB0-27B0879837D2.jpeg

D79C9B48-EE04-4F20-A514-45DCA939E8C5.jpeg

Visited an antiques shop (rather large one) and they had these treasures for sale. I passed on them to allow someone else the rare opportunity

9EFDA9FF-82F3-4C44-BFC1-71A41C8478B2.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom