Ultrasonic Chip Cleaning (10 Viewers)

Yep. No damage to hot stamps. Even the hot stamps that were nearly disappearing are still there.

Using the 2.5L harbor freight ultrasonic. Distilled water. Temp 100° F. 45-60 seconds. Agitating with a wooden spoon. 3/4 tbsp Red Devil TSP. Filled just under the max fill line on the ultrasonic. Just started so only did a barrel at one time that first batch. On a couple of the chips there is still some filth in the grooves like you can see on the outer edge of the center chip here. May test a couple and see if I can get it out, but it’s not terrible and didn’t want to risk the stamps.

5707FA54-C2E7-4E93-BCE1-DDACE1C01194.jpeg

Temp and time? Which non-TSP did you use?

1. Heat 2 cups of distilled water in a clean measuring cup in a microwave for about 3 minutes.

2. Pour the heated water into the tank of the ultrasonic cleaner.

3. Dissolve 2 tablespoons of Lundmark "TSP" sodium metasilicate in the hot water.

4. Add 6 more cups of distilled water to the ultrasonic cleaner, for a total of 8 cups. I found that this gave me something close to the 110 F temperature that I wanted to use.

5. Plug in the ultrasonic cleaner, and turn on the built in heater if the temperature isn't yet up to 110 F. Turning on the ultrasonic transducers will heat the water even faster if necessary.

6. Put 40 chips in the chip barrel cage.

7. mine did not have a ton of gung on it so i spun em for 30 seconds each batch.

same as the OP description. :tup:

Put more through tonight. Always satisfying.

fuCalYm.jpg

These however were unfazed. What is on these chips?

Vd8rfhT.jpg

gz28A3y.jpg

EEz0eBT.jpg

That’s kinda what I was thinking too. The big black dot is like a muddy substance that can be wiped off.

Anyone ever have issues with chips that don’t even seem that dirty but won’t clean up?

Yep that’s what I needed. Thought it was my harbor freight ultrasonic. Even went and warrantied it for a new one lol. Is there a specific process for doing this? Super tedious. These chips are lucky they are blaze orange or I might not be doing this

44761336-B611-4EB8-9468-76C8DDCCDF42.jpeg

Yep. I prefer the Extra Power version which seems to last longer, but haven't tried the newer Extra Durable version.

Key is to have it damp -- not soaking wet, not dry. And rub just a little at a time -- crosshatching and hot-stamp foil can disappear quickly if rubbing too vigorously.

41XuoyMYw1L._SX425_.jpg

I think I’m going to amazon prime some of the cheap bulk ones they have. Got 3 racks to do :dead:

Yeah. You will need them when you get my fracs. :eek:

That was literally my first thought after getting a barrel of these done :’( at least I’ll have a lot of practice so I don’t destroy the stamps

The ultrasonic literally did nothing to these. I expected a whole lot more after the work it did to the Sams

How long should I expect a small one to last? Would it do the finishing clean up of 2 racks of chips?
I’ve done a ton of chips with my 2.5l. It’s not bad at all. Smaller might get annoying. Honestly, if I was to go back I’d just buy the 6l

I’ve done a ton of chips with my 2.5l. It’s not bad at all. Smaller might get annoying. Honestly, if I was to go back I’d just buy the 6l

I meant the small size Magic Eraser. Sorry for the confusion.

My 6L ultrasonic has cleaned well over 20,000 chips, probably closer to 25,000. Going strong.

Another 4 racks down. I should’ve just bought a 6L. Also, regarding the funk that the ultrasonic doesn’t seem to get off... is this normal? I wonder if the dual transducer would do the trick where my single isn’t. Magic erasing is not fun. Ultrasonic made a big difference on these fracs, but most of the faces still badly need the eraser.

4D34404C-34B8-4E1D-B889-92E72E061B87.jpeg

2481D0BC-FF0C-4D9A-AA14-12FF6F40291C.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom