Tuesday night BigO Hand (1 Viewer)

Chippy McChiperson

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
BigO (hi/lo) stakes .25/.50 $200 cap, plays a little big with some huge action players.

6 handed, hero in the big blind on a stack of $1411 is stuck around $300 but way better than the $1500 he was stuck earlier in the evening.
UTG ($265.75) is by far the tightest player, but skilled and usually books a win, currently up $165.
UTG+1 ($1564.50) lag but pretty solid. Usually knows where he is in the hand, not afraid to bluff, sometimes his fold button is broken. Up $1365 but was up over 2 grand at one point.
Cutoff ($185.75) loose/passive, when is aggressive he usually has it (but not always). Down about $500.
Dealer ($1393.50) skilled lag, when he’s on his game he’s a steamroller, when he’s off he can get steamrolled. Up a few hundred I think at this point.
SB ($546.25) maybe the best player in the game, very skilled, always knows where he’s at, ruthless. Can be very aggressive, no fear in this guy. also loves mayo more than most people. I think he was down a few hundred at this point, but nothing too crazy, he wasn’t in tilt mode.

UTG UTG+1 and cutoff limp, dealer pots to $3.25, SB calls. Hero looks down and sees :as::js::qd::3c::4d:. Action?

Never folding obviously. There is some merit to 3 betting since we have a pretty good two way hand and there are some very deep stacks involved. Can't win big pots in Pot Limit unless you make them big early. Though, OOP against a bunch of action players, I don't think we need to do much to make the pots big later. So I'd just call and expect to go multiway with a hand that plays well.

I play big o and live in Maryland …. Seems like a match made in heaven.

Call. Also, make the game a mandatory straddle for $1.

Hero has bad position and an average plus hand - 2nd nut low with backup, one nut flush draw, three broadway, a dangerous 3nd nut flush draw and no pairs. Big O is a nut peddling game. Each player has 5 cards ---> ten semi-different hands If the money gets big the nut hand is in play in most cases. Hero's pathway to a nut hand is reasonable but still he misses most flops.

Not folding (yet), but absolutely do not want to raise. Let's see a flop for cheap. I can absolutely find a fold if the preflop action becomes too hot.

I want to say fold but we both know I am too much of a donkey to do that. Call.

Hero agrees with most of you, it’s a good not great hand, and he’ll most likely be playing out of position for the duration of the hand, so he calls. So,does everyone else lol. 6 people to a flop of :qc::4c::2s:. SB checks, pot is $19.50. Hero?

I check. You are ahead, but very vulnerable, particularly in a multi-way pot. Most likely, someone will bet and then you will have an interesting decision.

Hero makes the nut low draw and two pair. Hero lost his backup low draw. The high draw is a four out draw to the non-nut high plus a four out draw to the wheel. There is a good chance that A3 is going to be a chop. I don't care one way or the other about flopping the best high hand. Top / bottom pair isn't winning any money on the river if the pot gets contested.

I suggest checking and calling if the price is cheap. With stacks this deep, drawing for a quarter of the pot is a disaster. Sure, I remain interested but I can easily be priced out of this pot.

Come on. All u checkers just gonna let the flush draw have a free shot. Top 2 plus nut lo draw - fire away. Let’s goooo.
I don’t necessarily disagree with the let’s goooo, but I’d rather check raise instead of leading and getting 4 callers.

Pot.

Hero has a draw to the nut low and a chance to boat up.

Come on. All u checkers just gonna let the flush draw have a free shot. Top 2 plus nut lo draw - fire away. Let’s goooo.
I'm with you here. Lead out and thin the herd.

I'm with you here. Lead out and thin the herd.
Agreed. I play a lot of big o, probably the game I play the most. Yes, I gamble (maybe more than most) and yes, I am no pro - but if I have learned one thing in this game, it is - do not slow play. No need to get cute - if u think u have the best hand fire away, let the chasers chase (and they will for sure). If things go bad, well that is why there is a reload button.

So I agree with most everything @Goldfish said, we’re likely good for the high, and have the nut low draw. Sure there are some terrible cards for us, aces, threes, and club. But there are other cards that are good for us other than a 5 or queen or 4. A king gives us a gutter, a ten gives us a broadway wrap, and a spade gives us the nut flush draw. We also have the :3c: which blocks a lot of the nut low/nut flush draw combos.

I pot for $19.50, UTG and UTG+1 fold. Cutoff tank calls, it feels likes he’s on a draw here, and button 3x raises to 58.50. Small blind folds, and it’s back to us with $39 more to call and heaps behind. Action?

Call and see what develops on the turn

Catching up late. And apologies if any of this sounds judgy/preachy, don't mean it to.

Preflop: check out of position is the right move - it's not a premium hand but can flop well.

Flop: should be a check - top 2 is one of the most overplayed hands in Big O, and all you have outside that is a nut low DRAW (for half the pot) with no back up low cards on a two flush board; it's a wet board and a ton of hands would have enough equity to call, and some like a3x with the nut club draw have enough to raise. You block some sets, but they are still possible with so many cards. Check call 100% of the time. In position you can maybe pot this.

After flop action: I'll be the nit here, I'm folding. What are you beating for a scoop that raises here? You have at most 5 nutted outs (and likely some of those are chop outs or already in someone elses' hand) and even then you're still likely dodging bullets on the river even if your card hits. Almost every turn card, other than a Q or an offsuit 5, puts you in a spot where you can no longer lead out.

Catching up late. And apologies if any of this sounds judgy/preachy, don't mean it to.

Preflop: check out of position is the right move - it's not a premium hand but can flop well.

Flop: should be a check - top 2 is one of the most overplayed hands in Big O, and all you have outside that is a nut low DRAW (for half the pot) with no back up low cards on a two flush board; it's a wet board and a ton of hands would have enough equity to call, and some like a3x with the nut club draw have enough to raise. You block some sets, but they are still possible with so many cards. Check call 100% of the time. In position you can maybe pot this.

After flop action: I'll be the nit here, I'm folding. What are you beating for a scoop that raises here? You have at most 5 nutted outs (and likely some of those are chop outs or already in someone elses' hand) and even then you're still likely dodging bullets on the river even if your card hits. Almost every turn card, other than a Q or an offsuit 5, puts you in a spot where you can no longer lead out.
Aren't I ahead of a3 and the nut flush draw?

Heads up A35x with the nfd is 55.8 to your 44.2...but you aren't heads up yet.

A3(random other low card) is still probably ahead of you in most combos as well.
And being slightly behind isn't the problem here. It's being behind with so many bad cards that could come out in a bloated pot and still potential for it to be 3 way. You are check calling any turn card but an offsuit queen I would think. Even an off suit 5 would mean you have a high likelihood of getting free-rolled. You have to play pot control accordingly.

Ok so I took a different line. The button is a very aggressive player, and I the only hands I’m super concerned about we’re 44xxx and qqxxx, which while possible are pretty unlikely. I decided (maybe poorly, but this decision is why I posted to get different input) to repot to $214.50. My thinking was that the shorter stack (who I felt like just had a draw) would feel they were pot committed, and we might get the dealers dead money. if I got re-re-potted, I’d have to consider my options, but I had a club (maybe the most important one besides the ace), and if they did both happen to have flush draws I’m feeling pretty good as they have each other’s outs. If dealer has qq or 44 I’m in big trouble, but there is 1 of each combo and 3 combos of 22, which I’m still doing fairly well against, unless he has a223 (which is certainly a possibility).

ok enough jibber jabber, cutoff tank calls off his last $163, and button thinks for a bit and eventually calls $156.

Turn seems very reasonable, it’s the :4s:. Action?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom