Tropical Sunset Cards Mold Cash Set - Looking For Design Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Chips look real nice, I think you have the background nailed down. My only suggestion would be to maybe enlarge the word “Motif”, or maybe make it look like a logo. It could be a small graphic or something tied in with the text to make it that way. It just looks a little like a word with a different typeface right now.
Here's a bit of what I mean:
View attachment 1180560
Motif is actually a placeholder word! I'm still deciding the final word.

Tried some subtle tweaks. Here's an example. Trying to strike the balance between stylizing the title and having it draw attention is tough.

Screen Shot 2023-08-16 at 2.53.49 AM.png

Really? So more like ceramics? I thought Tina's were injection-mold plastic with "fake" inserts. Good to know.
Tina's chips are white ceramic chips that are then dyed. Some have recesses for labels but all can be printed however you like along the edges.
I quite like the alternating yellow-orange 100. It would keep the 2 colours spots logic.
Will sleep on this. I can see the continuation from $20 to $100 with two separate colors. But there's a nice tie between 25c and $100 with one color.

That is a perfectly valid definition of a "logo" ;)

Sorry to disagree, but I would not complicate the wordmark. Right now the star is the inlay. Adding a graphic element would conflict with the sun, and add useless clutter imho…
It looks like this design is going for the look of a beach club. Complicate or not, from a marketing standpoint, they would likely have a logo and use it on their chips.
I don’t think it clutters the design, rather it confirms the tropical scene.

Edit: didn’t realize the Motif was placeholder text! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

The best Sunset chips already exist with @detroitdad
I like detroitdad's set, definitely an inspiration. I made lots of different decisions so as not to re-invent the wheel- spotted instead of solid, illustrative instead of photorealistic, large "inlay" instead of traditional. There's room to appreciate both sets!

Edit: didn’t realize the Motif was placeholder text! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
I never disclosed it, but it's always been a working title!

It looks like this design is going for the look of a beach club. Complicate or not, from a marketing standpoint, they would likely have a logo and use it on their chips.
I don’t think it clutters the design, rather it confirms the tropical scene.
I started with a plain name, because that's what I was familiar with.
1692191183654.png1692191286139.png

I'm starting to look around now, there's some room for more creativity.
1692191370543.png1692193084789.png

Full inlay art pieces are all along the spectrum from plain to stylized.
Screen Shot 2023-08-16 at 3.20.10 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-08-16 at 3.21.50 AM.png1692192698511.pngScreen Shot 2023-08-16 at 3.21.24 AM.png

While I'm somewhat doubtful that there's room for a full graphic image in the title, I think it can be more stylized. Something for me to consider. Thanks.

The best Sunset chips already exist with @detroitdad

You know you can't make statements like this without providing a picture, right? :p

I can only assume it is this one ?

While I admit that it is really not my cup of tea (I get massive early 90s vibes flashbacks…), they have definitely something super cool! Bold, assumed, and the use of coloured real pictures, different one for each chip, is fantastic.

That could be a neat idea to borrow @improviseallday: commission other slightly different illustrations?

That could be a neat idea to borrow @improviseallday: commission other slightly different illustrations?
I did consider this. It'd add about $150 and a few weeks if from scratch.

I'm not ruling it out. Theoretically I can model the scenes based on a few famous beaches around here.

But would it be better for the set? I'm not sure. What works for detroitdad might not for this set.

---

Btw, there's more prior art:

The Sunset by @EvelcyclopS: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/introducing-the-sunset.80284/post-1642810

1692198820961.jpeg

I did not see you last iteration, it is great! Good luck with the production, I hope everything goes smoothly, and I am looking forward seeing pictures of the real stacks and chips

My only suggestion would be to [...] make it look like a logo.
Right as I was about to place the order, I saw this in the checkout aisle:

Screen Shot 2023-08-30 at 1.32.34 AM.png

I didn't buy the cookies. Maybe I should have?

---

But looking at the Encanto logo convinced me that I had to try a logo feel. Some more spending and back and forth on Fiverr yielded the chip on the right:

Screen Shot 2023-08-30 at 1.34.39 AM.png

TBH I'm still torn between the two. The left feels more approachable and is more readable. The right has a nice logo feel to it and is more visually interesting with the slight asymmetry.

Mnmhhh… I think I would choose the right one.

It has more personality and adds a nice touch to your illustration. And the flourish and assymetry makes the whole more balanced.

Yeah. It works. Quite well. Good job

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom