Tournament Set Rotation (1 Viewer)

grantc54

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
I currently have 3 tournament sets that I rotate for my biweekly poker tournaments. I find rotating the sets helps me from getting set fatigue. When I use each set I am reminded of the uniqueness and what attracted me to that set.

My plan is to eventually end up with 6 sets, so each set gets played about twice a year. This leaves me room to eventually acquire 3 more sets, which works as I have yet to pickup a THC, hotstamp, or CPC set. Any more and it will be too long between using each set.

How many sets do others use in regular rotation?

Thanks
Grant

I have similar ideas. I have a label order in with @Gear that will bring me up to ten sets once those sets get labeled. But half are tourney and half cash, and we usually do a tourney followed by cash on poker nights, so two sets hit the felt each time I host. I feel like that’s right around the right number for me.

Current rotation:
14AF12D2-A4CB-4EE9-B706-B60FA25D81BA.jpeg
671E8448-B3CE-4C44-A50D-884A922D8A28.jpeg
F7B7339B-1A8C-4E91-80D3-C81686EA0A8E.jpeg
185B112F-938B-4088-AEF6-48A25B8B5632.jpeg

Coming soon:
3FA29C63-C8A2-4AB9-8B4B-E1F74C4CD4D5.jpeg

Last edited:
I currently have 3 tournament sets that I rotate for my biweekly poker tournaments. I find rotating the sets helps me from getting set fatigue. When I use each set I am reminded of the uniqueness and what attracted me to that set.

My plan is to eventually end up with 6 sets, so each set gets played about twice a year. This leaves me room to eventually acquire 3 more sets, which works as I have yet to pickup a THC, hotstamp, or CPC set. Any more and it will be too long between using each set.

How many sets do others use in regular rotation?

Thanks
Grant
What 3 tournament sets do you have currently?

I currently have 1 BCC, THC, and RHC.

I've been considering picking up a travel set, something like Royals, I've been loving this shuffle stack I have.

my players comment that it feels like they've never played with the same set twice.

Is this a complaint from the players or more of just an observation?

I know one thing that sometimes throw my players off is that my HIP set has significantly higher denoms (T1K - T100M), so when I switch that to low denoms of the Roadhouse set (T5-T2000) they need to adjust. That said, everyone loves the crazy high denoms of the set.

What 3 tournament sets do you have currently?

I currently have 1 BCC, THC, and RHC.

I've been considering picking up a travel set, something like Royals, I've been loving this shuffle stack I have.

I currently have:
- Jack RHC
- Custom relabel Tragically HIP RHC
- Roadhouse IHC

And I have a set of the Kash ceramic incoming.

I currently have:
- Jack RHC
- Custom relabel Tragically HIP RHC
- Roadhouse IHC

And I have a set of the Kash ceramic incoming.

I also have a Milano set, but it is not in regular rotation, it is for travel and a loaner set when friends want to throw a game that I can't make (my Paulson sets require me to be present).

I have similar ideas. I have a label order in with @Gear that will bring me up to ten sets once those sets get labeled. But half are tourney and half cash, and we usually do a tourney followed by cash on poker nights, so two sets hit the felt each time I host. I feel like that’s right around the right number for me.

Current rotation:
View attachment 418830View attachment 418829View attachment 418828View attachment 418827
Coming soon:
View attachment 418832

That Paris relabel :wow::wow::wow:

Is this a complaint from the players or more of just an observation?

I know one thing that sometimes throw my players off is that my HIP set has significantly higher denoms (T1K - T100M), so when I switch that to low denoms of the Roadhouse set (T5-T2000) they need to adjust. That said, everyone loves the crazy high denoms of the set.
Never a complaint, more a gentle ribbing to my poker chip obsession.

Almost all my sets are used for T10k, I have a few that can be spread much larger but generally only use them for 10k. I have one large set that is base T500 and spread 100k+ games with them but that only gets pulled out once a year for a "high roller" event.

I used to have six sets. Then I got control of my addiction and pared it down to the two custom sets I had made, one ASM and one Chipco. As a result I have been able to save enough money to buy my dream car while still having two awesome sets of chips that impress my players each time we meet. I do feel pangs of envy whenever I see these awesome collections everyone has however am glad I toned it down since prices are now way out of control. Chip on brothers. This is a great site to view my favorite addiction now that I know how to control my impulses.

I have five and access to a few more so we do rotate about 1-3 times used annually. I’m starting to re-evaluate sets and what I “need”.

Current rotation:
View attachment 418830View attachment 418829View attachment 418828View attachment 418827
Coming soon:
View attachment 418832
That Arkham Set is amazing bro! Great work!

I find rotating the sets helps me from getting set fatigue.

^^ Is set fatigue really a thing? Do the people at Pfizer know?

If it is, and Bernie is elected, does that mean all tournament sets will be subsidized under Medicare for all?

I have 5 tourney sets that I rotate through for our monthly tourneys:

Barrel House customs (CPC)
PNY (Paulson)
Protege (BCC)
Teddy KGB Rounders (CPC)
Dia de los Muertos (ABC)

It's a pretty good mix of different types/styles of sets. Customs get played every other tourney, everything else once or twice a year. I wouldn't call the rotation avoiding "set fatigue", more just appreciation for variety.

1583519969668.png

1583519800076.png

1583520007340.png

1583520037051.png

I have 4 sets that I have in my rotation.

What I do to rotate the sets is to let the person who won the last tournament choose the next set for the next tournament.
To you keep track of the sets? Is there a ranking based on this selection?

I know you have a custom CPC set and 36mm chips, what are the other 2?

I wish I had more free time to play all the local games. Maybe in 10 years when the kids no longer want anything to do with me and can drive.

For tourney I have:

- AS hotstamps (single table with rebuys)
- ABC ceramics (multi table with rebuys)
- slugged monacos (travel multi table with rebuys)

My CPC dragons were designed to facilitate either cash or tourney; however, since their inception they’ve only been employed for cash.

Last edited:
To you keep track of the sets? Is there a ranking based on this selection?

I know you have a custom CPC set and 36mm chips, what are the other 2?

I wish I had more free time to play all the local games. Maybe in 10 years when the kids no longer want anything to do with me and can drive.

These are the sets I use. I'm not sure what you mean by tracking. I don't track what sets are in play, but I think my custom set followed by my set of Pharaoh's are the ones most used.

This is the link I send to everyone to help them choose.
https://www.hitmen.poker/chip-chooser

Last edited:
Wish I had the luxury of so many sets to choose from. So much want..

I only run monthly poker tournaments. Seems I'm quite ridiculous since I have sets that could NEVER be in "rotation".

I'm not a believer in "chips are for using" theory. I do have chips that I'm happy keeping on a shelf. Yep, I know I'm sick.

I use 1 set of CPCs, primarily. I have just 2 other sets (with no chance of getting more than that), and they will only see play once or twice a year.

I'm really quite envious of all you folks who throw around the expensive Paulsons. I wish I could train myself to do this, but it's been a year, and I've got chips that likely will NEVER receive even a single felting.

Last edited:

I only run monthly poker tournaments. Seems I'm quite ridiculous since I have sets that could NEVER be in "rotation".

I'm not a believer in "chips are for using" theory. I do have chips that I'm happy keeping on a shelf. Yep, I know I'm sick.

I use 1 set, primarily. I have just 2 other sets (with no chance of getting more than that), and they will only see play once or twice a year.

I'm really quite envious of all you folks who throw around the expensive Paulsons. I wish I could train myself to do this, but it's been a year, and I've got chips that likely will NEVER receive even a single felting.
Just take out a barrel of one of them mint chips and use it as your shuffle stack for a week. You'll remember why you bought them, and then put them in play the next game!

I use 1 set of CPCs, primarily. I have just 2 other sets (with no chance of getting more than that), and they will only see play once or twice a year.

What I don't understand is why have a set you'll never play? What are you keeping them for? Why not just collect singles, or barrels (if you want to see face and side profile).

I expect you know that eventually you will get all your chips in play.... just maybe infrequently.

Life is short, and there is only a very small group of people who appreciate poker chips like this forum. If you don't use the chips, who will?

What I don't understand is why have a set you'll never play? What are you keeping them for?

If you don't use the chips, who will?

I got into them because they make me happy. Not much other reason needed for me to have them.

No rules in a hobby. It's about self-gratification. Nothing more or less.

Every chipper will have his or her journey. Mine is what it is. A collection..not really a function.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom