Tortured and Burned THCs! (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Was it common practice to use a barrel of chips to extinguish your cigarette instead of reaching for an ashtray in the 1960’s?!!

I recently purchased a nice set of C&J Solid THCs for a very good price. After sorting out all of the chips that had a lot of wear, chipped edges, etc., and with a couple of small additional purchases, I was able to make a very nice cash game set. I’m very appreciative of the sale and my purchase. However…

One of the things that struck me was that there were a fairly high percentage of the chips that had burn marks on them. About 10% of the $1.00 and $5.00 chips had significant burn marks that look like cigarette burns. Was it common practice to use a barrel of chips as an ashtray back then? Or was this just a result of this particular owner’s degenerate players?

Who knows how much torture and pain these chips endured? They didn’t even have the decency to use the middle of the chip, so the burn could be milled away later. Nope, proper technique back then dictated using the rim when burning and melting chips.

Warning: the following image could be upsetting to some Chippers. Viewer discretion is advised!

IMG_0694.jpg

Last edited:
looks like they would rest the cigarette on top of chip. when the cigarette would burn down it would ruin the chip.
also back in the 60's the cigarettes weren't treated so they would basically keep burning.

Maybe a cigar or cigarette resting on it, as it burned would therefore hit the edge first?

Edit: lol, @bigblind ...beat me by a second. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

That makes sense. But there a lot of them with the burns in the middle of the chip too. Mostly on the edge of the inside recess that hits both the THC and the middle.

Pretty common among antique / vintage chips (older than Paulsons, stuff like in my avatar picture) to find plenty of them with obvious stains and burns from smoking.

I remember seeing either a video (old WSOP?) or photo that shows a player resting their lit cigarette on a chip, which would make burns not unlike these. Where else are you going to put it and not burn a hole in the felt, especially when there isn't an ash tray in sight. I suspect they would just ash onto the carpet as that was somehow acceptable.

Where else are you going to put it and not burn a hole in the felt, especially when there isn't an ash tray in sight.
That makes a lot of sense. And also by the same logic, the chip surface seems to be the easiest and most accessible way to put out a cigarette at the table if an ashtray isn't readily available.

Was it common practice to use a barrel of chips to extinguish your cigarette instead of reaching for an ashtray in the 1960’s?!!

I recently purchased a nice set of C&J Solid THCs for a very good price. After sorting out all of the chips that had a lot of wear, chipped edges, etc., and with a couple of small additional purchases, I was able to make a very nice cash game set. I’m very appreciative of the sale and my purchase. However…

One of the things that struck me was that there were a fairly high percentage of the chips that had burn marks on them. About 10% of the $1.00 and $5.00 chips had significant burn marks that look like cigarette burns. Was it common practice to use a barrel of chips as an ashtray back then? Or was this just a result of this particular owner’s degenerate players?

Who knows how much torture and pain these chips endured? They didn’t even have the decency to use the middle of the chip, so the burn could be milled away later. Nope, proper technique back then dictated using the rim when burning and melting chips.

Warning: the following image could be upsetting to some Chippers. Viewer discretion is advised!

View attachment 784433

Why not? In the old days when our parents walked uphill to school both ways, hot-stamped THC poker chips were a dime a dozen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom