To Raise the Rail (or Not) (1 Viewer)

3/4" is my favourite height for a raised rail.
And based on this alone it made my decision easy! I also did a 3/4" raised rail and COULDN'T be happier!
EDIT : @T_Chan did it, sorry Tony! Lol!
IMG_20191015_112707.jpg

I also can't agree there is much effect on cost for a raised rail. Given the price of my table, which was X dollars, the raised rail was an additional $2.3% of my overall cost.

EDIT : maff is hard...4.6% extra for the raised rail. Still very cheap in my opinion

Last edited:
3/4" is my favourite height for a raised rail.
Tony, may I ask (if it's not a professional secret) what are your standards when it comes to
-playing surface height?
-rail standard height in relation to the playing surface (not raised)?
-dining top height (thickness)?
Do you lower the playing surface height to accommodate raised rails and / or dining tops?

I wouldn't trust anyone but Tony here. He's done so many heights paired up with so many styles, that he's got to be a virtual encyclopedia of rail knowledge. When he agreed that 1/2" would only add to the enjoyment and aesthetics of my table, I didn't question it. I don't think he'd steer me wrong here.

Tony, may I ask (if it's not a professional secret) what are your standards when it comes to
-playing surface height?
-rail standard height in relation to the playing surface (not raised)?
-dining top height (thickness)?
Do you lower the playing surface height to accommodate raised rails and / or dining tops?

There's no trade secrets for that.

I aim for the top of the table first and foremost. I make sure a table is never taller than 31" otherwise it gets uncomfortable unless you have extra tall chairs. If it has a dining table cover on it, then I make the top of that surface 31" or lower. For a table without a cover, I make the top of the rail 31" or lower. I normally aim for 30" if I can, but the clearance underneath the table sometimes needs the extra room.

The rest of the dimensions are based on the final height of the cover or rail. For a non-raised rail table, the top of the rail is usually about 1.5-1.75" higher. 3/4" of plywood + 1" of foam which gets compressed.

Nice looking tables. Did you build the oval or buy completed? Plans? Also, what is the height of the raised rail? Again, looks slick!
Purchased from Pharaoh Manufacturing out of Glendale, CA. 3/4” is the height of the raised raIl.

Nice looking tables. Did you build the oval or buy completed? Plans? Also, what is the height of the raised rail? Again, looks slick!
The link on my signature has a lot of pics of the poker room and tables.

Yes raised rail.
I posed the very same question and had the same concerns as you. I went ahead with the raised rail starting with 1/2", then 3/4" and my current tables are 1".
I like the looks of the 1" best, won't go back to anything any lower. Myself nor any of my players have ever felt 1 bit of concern over the 1" height.

View attachment 411450
Phew! At least someone likes higher rails! Haha I'm building a 2" raised rail ( https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/custom-poker-table-blueprint.113372/post-2347013 ) so I guess I should expect to be attacked shortly based on this thread haha I really enjoy the feel of a playing "arena"... never really felt any hand fatigue or anything like that... just made sure it wasn't too high to peek at the hole cards... well... fingers crossed lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom