Thread of Proofs // Add your custom chip proofs here (3 Viewers)

RainbowTmentProof.png

SO,
I have been thinking of adding to m chip set, commemorative chips $1 and $5's.
My games have ran two table almost all night for the last few months, so I need more 1,s and 5's.

Also, I have been thinking of giving my players a 3 year member chip (this would be 44mm chip), I think i have my edge spots picked and colors....

Let me know what you think.
View attachment 278111

View attachment 278112
You've actually ordered these or still tinkering with the design?

I just did a reorder of these from CPC to fill out a second set after some of them were lost, and I realized I'd never posted the final product here.

These are my 18XX board gaming chips. I designed them two years ago to use with my Seattle gaming group and to bring to tournaments. The chips are fashioned after the logos of the eight historical train companies featured in the board game 1830: Railroads and Robber Barons, while the 1-chip resembles an unfilled city circle, from the same game.

J5 and CPC exceeded expectations in making these a reality. The actual chips look even better than these mock-ups.

ja_mock.png

Some fun facts about the development of this set:
  • 18XX games are financial games that involve transactions as small as $1 and as large as $1000, and unlike a poker tournament with increasing blinds, all 7 chips $1-$100 will be in play constantly throughout the game, and occasionally the high denoms as well.
  • My primary goals for this design were to have a denomination break down of 1/2/5/10/20/50/100 with clear denomination labels, and to stay as close to my own and my playgroup's perception of "standard colors" for denominations, since we sometimes alternate between different sets of chips. Therefore, I had decided at the outset that 1=white, 5=red, 10=blue, 20=grey (or yellow), 100=black, 500=purple, 1000=yellow (though the final design has no 1000). This also meant no green chip because 25=green and I don't have a 25. The base colors for the 2, 50 and 2000 are based partially on research, partially on personal preference and largely on finding colors that contrast well with ALL of the other chips, since all 9 colors will be in play at once.
  • I knew I needed a chip bigger than $500 to support the economies of the games it would be used for. Every other set I played with had $1000's for this purpose. I decided to jump to $2000, and it was absolutely the right decision.
  • I knew I needed at least 9 denominations, and based on cost and minimum order reqs, I skipped having a $200 chip. I have dreams of making one in the future. It will probably be dayglo pink ^w^
  • In the edition of 1830 that this artwork is based on, the PRR logo is red on white, with a green background. I decided to go with an alternate popular design for this logo, white on red with a red background, to avoid a chip with a green base color.
  • Both edge spots on the 50, the pink spot on the 100, and the orange spot on the 500 are the only edge spots that don't color match the actual logos.
  • The 2000 chip is somehow perfectly color matched with 3 colors on the Boston and Maine logo despite the fact that I designed the colors and edge spots for this "S'more" chip before I decided on the theme for this set.

How did you

@AK Chip how do you get this second pic to load up? I'm not the most computer literate guy in the world. I tried to right click my set in the design tool but it doesn't give me the menu I'm looking for to save it to my computer.
Lol I really dont remember. I am in the same boat as you when it comes to computers. I think in the design tool there is a spot where you can save the set as a pdf? then save as to your computer.

I just did a reorder of these from CPC to fill out a second set after some of them were lost, and I realized I'd never posted the final product here.

These are my 18XX board gaming chips. I designed them two years ago to use with my Seattle gaming group and to bring to tournaments. The chips are fashioned after the logos of the eight historical train companies featured in the board game 1830: Railroads and Robber Barons, while the 1-chip resembles an unfilled city circle, from the same game.

J5 and CPC exceeded expectations in making these a reality. The actual chips look even better than these mock-ups.

View attachment 279127

Some fun facts about the development of this set:
  • 18XX games are financial games that involve transactions as small as $1 and as large as $1000, and unlike a poker tournament with increasing blinds, all 7 chips $1-$100 will be in play constantly throughout the game, and occasionally the high denoms as well.
  • My primary goals for this design were to have a denomination break down of 1/2/5/10/20/50/100 with clear denomination labels, and to stay as close to my own and my playgroup's perception of "standard colors" for denominations, since we sometimes alternate between different sets of chips. Therefore, I had decided at the outset that 1=white, 5=red, 10=blue, 20=grey (or yellow), 100=black, 500=purple, 1000=yellow (though the final design has no 1000). This also meant no green chip because 25=green and I don't have a 25. The base colors for the 2, 50 and 2000 are based partially on research, partially on personal preference and largely on finding colors that contrast well with ALL of the other chips, since all 9 colors will be in play at once.
  • I knew I needed a chip bigger than $500 to support the economies of the games it would be used for. Every other set I played with had $1000's for this purpose. I decided to jump to $2000, and it was absolutely the right decision.
  • I knew I needed at least 9 denominations, and based on cost and minimum order reqs, I skipped having a $200 chip. I have dreams of making one in the future. It will probably be dayglo pink ^w^
  • In the edition of 1830 that this artwork is based on, the PRR logo is red on white, with a green background. I decided to go with an alternate popular design for this logo, white on red with a red background, to avoid a chip with a green base color.
  • Both edge spots on the 50, the pink spot on the 100, and the orange spot on the 500 are the only edge spots that don't color match the actual logos.
  • The 2000 chip is somehow perfectly color matched with 3 colors on the Boston and Maine logo despite the fact that I designed the colors and edge spots for this "S'more" chip before I decided on the theme for this set.
These are amazing!
Are there pics of the chips somewhere?

AH-HA.... see now how were you able to save that pic?
This one was given to me from CPC.

When you are on the design tool there is the collum of actions on the left. at the bottom there is one that says save PNG. this how I save them to my desk top.

ROFL I send him these too! We should have a thread of rail car hobo sketches.
I was a new chipper who stumbled onto this site end of last year and picked up a tourney and cash set during the 8V CC Blowout with Gene. I've been treading water since, having no idea how to even remotely decide what to do, but after seeing what Johnny did from those sketches, I'm finally diving in and messaged him.

I was a new chipper who stumbled onto this site end of last year and picked up a tourney and cash set during the 8V CC Blowout with Gene. I've been treading water since, having no idea how to even remotely decide what to do, but after seeing what Johnny did from those sketches, I'm finally diving in and messaged him.
J5 is the man. Makes the rest of us look good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom