Things that make you say hmmm... or ask why? (2 Viewers)

David O

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a thread for those things make you say hmmm or just ask the question, WHY?

I'll start it off with a small pet peeve that makes me question why.

When a new for sale thread comes out and the posting member posts chips for sale at $X.xx but then say "first dibs goes to @xxxxxx".

Why? Wouldn't you just pm that person and say, "hey I know you dibs on these chips. I was getting ready to post them for sale but you have first shot." That would effectively honor their dibs and you wouldn't have to a waste a for sale post. They say nothin you post a for sale thread!!!

I'm with you there. Just PM the person that expressed interest in the chips before or has a wanted ad out for them before posting the sale.

I don't understand folks that bash other people's tastes in chips. Don't think that bear claw edge spots are the nuts? Prefer ceramics and their capabilities and potential for customization? Like or dislike oversized inlays? Knock yourself out. Different strokes for different folks :)

I'm with you there. Just PM the person that expressed interest in the chips before or has a wanted ad out for them before posting the sale.

I don't understand folks that bash other people's tastes in chips. Don't think that bear claw edge spots are the nuts? Prefer ceramics and their capabilities and potential for customization? Like or dislike oversized inlays? Knock yourself out. Different strokes for different folks :)
I agree. There are some chips out here that many would pay a bunch for. Me not so much but if you like them great. If you don’t why tell everyone and crap on someone’s post and chips!!

Don't you need a classified thread for the feedback feature to work? Maybe people are artificially inflating their feedback scores :whistle: :whistling:

As for hmmmm, I’d have to say our understanding of chip descriptions. Most everyone knows Mint, Near Mint, Excellent, VCG+, bike tires, etc.

Any time I see “great condition” or something similarly generic without detailed photos I now think hmmmm.... Too many veteran chippers have gotten me with that description, but kinda the learning curve I spose.

Conus only followed by bump, bump, bump and lowered prices...

+1

Obviously @HMK and I are biased but I really don’t understand all the ”Conus only”. Everyone is free to sell however they want of course but I have shipped chips within the EU as well as to the states and to me it is the packing and boxing properly that is the real bitch, not what destination country I put on the package. Custom form takes 1 min to fill out. Otherwise exactly the same, right?

+1

Obviously @HMK and I are biased but I really don’t understand all the ”Conus only”. Everyone is free to sell however they want of course but I have shipped chips within the EU as well as to the states and to me it is the packing and boxing properly that is the real bitch, not what destination country I put on the package. Custom form takes 1 min to fill out. Otherwise exactly the same, right?
There may be some other considerations. Someone may exclusively ship from their house or some drop off, where the extra steps make it not worth their while (a guess, idk).

Secondly, they may not want to wait to receive funds. Several Non US countries won’t allow PPF&F, and the payment doesn’t go through until they have confirmed receipt or something. I shipped to a reshipper who shipped overseas, and had about $1k sitting in limbo for about a month. I don’t mind, but if you’re selling to pay off something or in a bind, it’s not in your best interest.

Im guessing lastly would just be the added human component of the chips going through more hands, overseas, customs, etc. If someone’s selling $2k worth of chips, it would really suck for something to occur. Some people may just not want that added sweat. (Again, not a big deal for me. Although I’m not overly trusting of my mail here in France, I’ve had two issues so far with mail not making it to my house, one box being sent back soaking wet to Australia.)

Secondly, they may not want to wait to receive funds. Several Non US countries won’t allow PPF&F, and the payment doesn’t go through until they have confirmed receipt or something. I shipped to a reshipper who shipped overseas, and had about $1k sitting in limbo for about a month. I don’t mind, but if you’re selling to pay off something or in a bind, it’s not in your best interest.

Yeah, I would not be happy selling under those conditions either but the classified ads usually have paypal f & f as the one accepted method.

Im guessing lastly would just be the added human component of the chips going through more hands, overseas, customs, etc. If someone’s selling $2k worth of chips, it would really suck for something to occur. Some people may just not want that added sweat. (Again, not a big deal for me. Although I’m not overly trusting of my mail here in France, I’ve had two issues so far with mail not making it to my house, one box being sent back soaking wet to Australia.)

I have full respect for the above but to me those are the risks the international buyer assumes and not the seller. I haven’t had any issues yet (well one package went off the radar for a couple of weeks but luckily did turn up unharmed) but I wouldn’t dream of putting any blame on the seller if my package got lost on the way. I would expect some assistance in filing a report with USPS but beyond that, what could one really do.

Don't you need a classified thread for the feedback feature to work? Maybe people are artificially inflating their feedback scores :whistle: :whistling:
Is it really artificially inflating if the sale goes through and both parties are happy? I don't feel like anything there is artificial... just wasn't publically traded.

For sales adds with "not used by me"

I'm interested in the chips condition, not if you have touched them or not:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
I use this one because if bought those chips from someone else they may have played them and they appear mint I cant tell you they are mint without that that caveat when I'm selling them. Now if they dont visually appear mint then I can understand.

I suppose I could start using the phrase MINT but not NIB

Here is a thread for those things make you say hmmm or just ask the question, WHY?

I'll start it off with a small pet peeve that makes me question why.

When a new for sale thread comes out and the posting member posts chips for sale at $X.xx but then say "first dibs goes to @xxxxxx".

Why? Wouldn't you just pm that person and say, "hey I know you dibs on these chips. I was getting ready to post them for sale but you have first shot." That would effectively honor their dibs and you wouldn't have to a waste a for sale post. They say nothin you post a for sale thread!!!
I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again.

People who post lots of thumbnails of chips for sale. Just click the damn “full size” button and post. On my phone, I won’t click each one. Just post the full size pictures. Doesn’t hurt anyone
Can I get an AMEN!

I use this one because if bought those chips from someone else they may have played them and they appear mint I cant tell you they are mint without that that caveat when I'm selling them. Now if they dont visually appear mint then I can understand.

I suppose I could start using the phrase MINT but not NIB

Definitely make some sense if they appear mint, but I'm pretty sure I have seen used chips being advertised in the same way as well.

Yeah, I would not be happy selling under those conditions either but the classified ads usually have paypal f & f as the one accepted method.

I have full respect for the above but to me those are the risks the international buyer assumes and not the seller. I haven’t had any issues yet (well one package went off the radar for a couple of weeks but luckily did turn up unharmed) but I wouldn’t dream of putting any blame on the seller if my package got lost on the way. I would expect some assistance in filing a report with USPS but beyond that, what could one really do.

Another problem is most Intern. buyers ask to state a lower value for customs/import fee...while it's a national sport over here, I respect sellers that don't want to do that

im definitely in the CONUS camp...

ive been burned before (I used to be an online eBay seller), and there is no way to track shipments overseas (to get delivery confirmation). In the retail space, I had tons of overseas buyers claim they didn’t receive items, and I lost money. Lots of money.

In the chipping world, I get that’s it’s different than eBay. I get that a buyer can take full risk, but I take responsibility for anything I ship, and no matter how much the seller can say “I’ll take responsibility for the chips once shipped“, I would not feel good about chips going missing and then still keeping the buyers $2000 without them actually getting their chips... it wouldn’t feel right.

since I care about whether a buyer gets their items, I get majorly stressed out about it until the items are received and I get that PM with “items received”. With overseas shipments, that can take forever. All that time I’m stressed,. I’m glad some sellers have no issues shipping overseas, and no issues with the buyer assuming all risks. It’s just not me. I’m sorry some get offended by this.

But... what do you mean by "no way to track shipments overseas (to get delivery confirmation)"?

Another problem is most Intern. buyers ask to state a lower value for customs/import fee...while it's a national sport over here, I respect sellers that don't want to do that

While I understand why (and I wouldn’t ask) a vendor selling chips commercially don’t/can’t state a lower value for customs I really don’t see a reason why one couldn’t do it when selling privately. That said, I would respect anyone not wanting to do it just wouldn’t understand it (no one I have bought from has had an issue with that though).

im definitely in the CONUS camp...

ive been burned before (I used to be an online eBay seller), and there is no way to track shipments overseas (to get delivery confirmation). In the retail space, I had tons of overseas buyers claim they didn’t receive items, and I lost money. Lots of money.

In the chipping world, I get that’s it’s different than eBay. I get that a buyer can take full risk, but I take responsibility for anything I ship, and no matter how much the seller can say “I’ll take responsibility for the chips once shipped“, I would not feel good about chips going missing and then still keeping the buyers $2000 without them actually getting their chips... it wouldn’t feel right.

since I care about whether a buyer gets their items, I get majorly stressed out about it until the items are received and I get that PM with “items received”. With overseas shipments, that can take forever. All that time I’m stressed,. I’m glad some sellers have no issues shipping overseas, and no issues with the buyer assuming all risks. It’s just not me. I’m sorry some get offended by this.
I feel exactly the same way and is why I only sell within the US. I don't mean any offense or disrespect at all towards our international brothers and sisters, but there's no way for me to confirm that an international shipment got to where it needs to be. I would be anxious the whole time from the moment I shipped a package to the time I got confirmation that it arrived safely. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if a package got seized in customs or otherwise didn't make it to its destination.

While I understand why (and I wouldn’t ask) a vendor selling chips commercially don’t/can’t state a lower value for customs I really don’t see a reason why one couldn’t do it when selling privately. That said, I would respect anyone not wanting to do it just wouldn’t understand it (no one I have bought from has had an issue with that though).
It’s the whole it’s illegal and cheating the government out of money and stuff argument. Obviously a valid one but does that person also speed or report professional gifts received on their taxes or always waits for the crosswalk light? Just everyone has their line I guess.

@Trihonda not offended, it’s just it can be really frustrating finding what you’re looking for, being on your A-game getting dibs in first only to get the ”sorry conus only” ;).

But naturally everyone is free to sell to whomever they want. There are plenty of sellers that will ship internationally and I’m very grateful for that.

It’s the whole it’s illegal and cheating the government out of money and stuff argument. Obviously a valid one but does that person also speed or report professional gifts received on their taxes or always waits for the crosswalk light? Just everyone has their line I guess.

It’s nice of you to worry about the incomes of the Swedish government but I’m sure they’ll do fine without me paying an extra 25% for used chips:)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom