There's a flight to quality (1 Viewer)

KingWithTheAxe

Two Pair
Reaction score
Chip demand is softening across the board. Sets are not moving in classifieds, both premium and budget. I see a flight to more quality chips, and at discounted pricing. Quality chips may not take as big of a bath, but looks like most chips are needing a ~30% price cut from list to move. Perfectly natural free market correction.

Rip me a new one!

Search function. Several threads created and several ongoing topics regarding the following:
Current market
Chips sitting in classifieds
How to sell
Why your chips aren’t selling
Price adjustment
Market fluxuations
Etc.
Same question someone asks every month.

Classifieds are filled with people selling the same chips that are higher than historical prices and bump forever.

People can Stan for Jim as much as they want, but since I’ve been a member he lists at what he can sell everything at, not to help chippers. If eBay or somewhere else was a better business decision, that’s where he’d be. Jumers were mint Paulsons, they were also the most boring with what has to be an objectively horrendous label (no one even knew wtf they said or were) so they continue to sit in resales at that $2 mark. His recent sale was for solids, the “great deal” was for T set with solids except one spotted T100 that looks like a dice chip :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

We just had Tigers that were sold brilliantly, they were sold at the tippy top of their potential market, but now we’re on sale #18 of them. Multiple denoms have been resold by chippers at a loss.

We just forever continue to trudge forward. From here on out, there will always be great chips for sale. When people snap buy some sets for $10k, everyone that lists their Outposts or LCOs or Tonks or Mardi Gras are going to list for an insane price hoping to catch a whale.

So sure, classifieds are full of great chips and sets. I wouldn’t want to be a new chipper starting today.

(No negative tone above, it’s just the same question we see on a constant basis, goes hand in hand with the “is there a GB happening?! Look at all these chips!” weekly comments)

Everyone got used to chips snap selling within minutes or seconds of listing. Prior to the covid money era this is just how things were. Chips would sit in the classifieds for weeks on end but then would eventually sell. There was no “ZOMG better start dropping prices” after one hour of being listed without a purchase.

That said, poor decisions (purchases) during the crazy highs get punished when it comes time to sell. And special lead still will remain king.

No one:

upNdown: ...and fuck Jack Detroit $5s

Maybe we will slowly return to buying chips because you like them and/or to play rather than purely as an investment/trade bait
Seriously though, previous two posts are on point. We are (slowly) getting back to normalcy and I'm all for it. This sentiment being realized sooner than later would be great for the community.

I love how much Jack Detroit's $5 RHC's live rent free in your head ;-)
8eaa0c18-8399-431e-86db-5d789641dcf6_text.gif

yes. there's an entire generation of pcfers who think that jack detroit $5s are worth face value.
Are there Jack Detroits selling for less or are there ones sitting in classifieds not selling?

Think there are a lot of other overvalued chips I'd use as an example before the JD $5, seems like there is always a buyer for them (Even if there are 35k of them out there).

Wouldn't the current market suggest that they are work face value plus?

Are there Jack Detroits selling for less or are there ones sitting in classifieds not selling?

Think there are a lot of other overvalued chips I'd use as an example before the JD $5, seems like there is always a buyer for them (Even if there are 35k of them out there).

THE CURRENT MARKET IS WRONG!

One of my problems is that I'm a cheap bastard. Not that I'm afraid to spend money, I just don't want to spend more than I need to spend. When I look at the Jack Detroit $5s, all I see is an RHC $5. And I know I can buy other mint RHC $5s for $1.50. So to me, it's a sin to spend $5+ on the Jack $5s. I understand why they're that expensive and why the market supports that price. (For beginners, it's because the entire Jack Detroit set is a desired set for reasons. And there aren't enough $5s to go around to satisfy PCFers insane $5 appetites. So people who love the set have to spend more to get all the $5s they want.) I just can't get on board with it. - I'd rather buy a different RHC set for less.

And there's a crazy little voice in the back of my head that blames these exact chips for the skyrocketing price of leaded THC $5s. Because those things used to sell for face value. But when people started spending that much on these johnny come lately RHCs, the market had to correct itself by jacking up the prices of things like PCA $5s and golden eagle $5s by 2.5x.

Last edited:
One of my problems is that I'm a cheap bastard. Not that I'm afraid to spend money, I just don't want to spend more than I need to spend. When I look at the Jack Detroit $5s, all I see is an RHC $5. And I know I can buy other mint RHC $5s for $1.50. So to me, it's a sin to spend $5+ on the Jack $5s. I understand why they're that expensive and why the market supports that price. (For beginners, it's because the entire Jack Detroit set is a desired set for reasons. And there aren't enough $5s to go around to satisfy PCFers insane $5 appetites. So people who love the set have to spend more to get all the $5s they want.) I just can't get on board with it. - I'd rather buy a different RHC set for less.

And there's a crazy little voice in the back of my head that blames these exact chips for the skyrocketing price of leaded THC $5s. Because those things used to sell for face value. But when people started spending that much on these johnny come lately RHCs, the market had to correct itself by jacking up the prices of things like PCA $5s and golden eagle $5s by 2.5x.
Completely understand and agree.

1692121418269.png

I don’t want to pay $1000+/rack for THC $5 either. I cobbled these together for $2-3/chip. I wouldn’t sell them today for double. THC > RHC. JD is my only remaining RHC set now but I’ve learned I respond to colors more than spots (not a fan of claws). So that $5 is the GOAT RHC $5 for me.

I get it.

I went through the same thought process with the Tiger hot stamp set. I wanted THC hotstamps, the Tigers were a lot but they were less than the AS hotstamps (and I preferred them). So it came down to - if I wanted them I needed to pay.

Since I only buy chips to play it is a bit easier for me to decide. Future resale or collectability is a non-factor, it is really what I can afford and am willing to pay.

I still think new THC vs RHC is overblown (sure, leaded chips are great). Lets face it, most people here don't even put their chips in play, much less would they put enough play on the chips to necessitate THC over RHC.

Seriously though, previous two posts are on point. We are (slowly) getting back to normalcy and I'm all for it. This sentiment being realized sooner than later would be great for the community.
^^This 100%.

Price always lags demand, just takes a bit more time on downward slope. But eventually, the invisible hand prevails - lol.

The correlation probably goes the other way. People who can't buy $10-15/chip THC bid up the RHC to $5+.

After stopping paying attention to chips for a decade it’s insane to see prices now

Paulsons are $5/chip for production sets like Pharoahs? Wtf??

I’ve been playing micro stakes w my Tukwila retired Paulson set and all this has made me seriously consider selling it just to fund another set (or 2!)

After stopping paying attention to chips for a decade it’s insane to see prices now

Paulsons are $5/chip for production sets like Pharoahs? Wtf??

I’ve been playing micro stakes w my Tukwila retired Paulson set and all this has made me seriously consider selling it just to fund another set (or 2!)
I bought my RHCs at $0.35 each... crazy to see what's happened.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom