The Zen of Chip Cleaning (1 Viewer)

BSteck

Full House
Reaction score
Dirty chips await.
Breathe. Toothbrush scrubbie, clean rise.
Breathe. Next chip, next barrel.

2018-02-20 09.23.35.jpg

Save your fingers. Send those chips my way.

I have hand cleaned thousands of chips.

Now my hands are nothing but gnarled tree trunks.

Just Cleaned and oiled some horseshoes.
Why do I not have an ultrasonic yet? I keep asking myself. I want one when I'm doing a barrel or two then I'm done and not worry about it until the next.
But it's fun just thinking about if that chip could talk what stories it could tell while im cleaning it
Screenshot_20180307-213743.png
Screenshot_20180307-213816.png

Chip stories
----------------------------

Chippie grime holds dreams.
Wins and loses down the drain.
Clean chips start a new.

Just Cleaned and oiled some horseshoes.
Why do I not have an ultrasonic yet? I keep asking myself. I want one when I'm doing a barrel or two then I'm done and not worry about it until the next.
But it's fun just thinking about if that chip could talk what stories it could tell while im cleaning it
View attachment 159219 View attachment 159222

You don’t want to clean those horseshoes in an ultrasonic... more so you don’t want to use tsp (or sodium metiscillate). It will eat the chips. Best to stick with dawn and a brush for CPC/ASM/Burt chips and LCrown TRK. I believe the horseshoes with the horseshu mold are Burt. Likely the die swirl are Burt too.

Thanks Dustin!
All the more reason to stick to my more intimate approach :)

You don’t want to clean those horseshoes in an ultrasonic... more so you don’t want to use tsp (or sodium metiscillate). It will eat the chips. Best to stick with dawn and a brush for CPC/ASM/Burt chips and LCrown TRK. I believe the horseshoes with the horseshu mold are Burt. Likely the die swirl are Burt too.

Curious-
Can the ultra sonic be used with just Dawn dish soap or do the chemicals need to be used?

Bubbles caused by foaming soaps effectively negate any ultrasonic benefits.

Curious-
Can the ultra sonic be used with just Dawn dish soap or do the chemicals need to be used?

So that’s a great question. Let me first add to the prior post stating that you don’t want to use oxiclean on ASM chips either.

So using Dawn in the ultrasonic was tried by SkiEx in his original thread. It created a ton of suds and made a mess. He recommended anyone trying after him to use a pool/spa anti foaming agent. When I first got my horseshoes, I also acquired 200 ASM Kenmore Lanes chips that were filthy. My intent was to do some testing with Dawn and the anti foam to develop a process to clean the ASM chips. I didn’t end up doing it and just cleaned the horseshoes by hand. I have since sold the Kenmores.

I managed to clean very well some 5s reds and 25s greens but white chips still a bit dirt. There is any tip for those?
I used warm water, dishdish cleaner liquid and a bit of oven grease removal and a toothbrush.

Attachments

• IMG_20181222_110344.jpg
    IMG_20181222_110344.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 283

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom