The Watch Thread (3 Viewers)

PXL_20230814_041754171.jpg

Hey, yall I've always been fascinated by watches, primarily the Datejust Rolex. Just haven't built the courage to drop $10k+ on a brand-new one and buying 2nd hand has always been scary due to so many fakes.

I own a nice Hamilton watch I purchased about 10 years ago, but I'm looking for another entry-level watch to put into my rotation.

1695825621207.png

(Similar to this one)

I don't have much knowledge of anything outside of the top brands like Rolex, Omega, Patek, etc..

Hoping someone can introduce me to something nice, mainly looking for an auto.

The breitling above goes for about $3,000 if you consider that entry level.

I’ve had some decent tissot and Oris that did the trick, well I got rid of them - but I’m never satisfied

I'm looking for another entry-level watch to put into my rotation.

Hoping someone can introduce me to something nice, mainly looking for an auto.

I assumed you wanted to stay in the ballpark of Hamilton or below.

Dress

1695850135762.png

Orient Bambino - Auto - Street Price $200

1695850357630.png

Longines Master - Auto - Street Price $1800

1695851771505.png

Nomos Tangente - Manual Wind - Direct Price $2200

Dive

1695850946831.png

Seiko Turtle - Auto - Street Price $400

1695850521145.png

Something Zelos with a cool dial material like meteorite or aventurine. You're a PCFer, you know how to navigate lightning sales. Auto. Street price for new releases $500-$1200.

I assumed you wanted to stay in the ballpark of Hamilton or below.

Dress

View attachment 1202146

Orient Bambino - Auto - Street Price $200

View attachment 1202147

Longines Master - Auto - Street Price $1800

View attachment 1202162

Nomos Tangente - Manual Wind - Direct Price $2200

Dive

View attachment 1202156

Seiko Turtle - Auto - Street Price $400

View attachment 1202148

Something Zelos with a cool dial material like meteorite or aventurine. You're a PCFer, you know how to navigate lightning sales. Auto. Street price for new releases $500-$1200.
I’m really liking that Seiko turtle

Thank you for sharing, this is exactly what I was looking for!!

Question for watch fanatics:

If you get a minor scratch on the crystal, is there a simple at-home way of buffing it out?

(I know there are products for car windshields that do this, but the glass area addressed by those is huge.)

Question for watch fanatics:

If you get a minor scratch on the crystal, is there a simple at-home way of buffing it out?

(I know there are products for car windshields that do this, but the glass area addressed by those is huge.)

No. If it’s a small thing just live with it. Chances are your case probably has tons of small scratches anyway. Part of the character of the watch. If you really want to get rid of it send it to the manufacturer to have the sapphire crystal replaced. I’m assuming we’re talking about a sapphire crystal that is normally very hard to scratch or chip.

No. If it’s a small thing just live with it. Chances are your case probably has tons of small scratches anyway. Part of the character of the watch. If you really want to get rid of it send it to the manufacturer to have the sapphire crystal replaced. I’m assuming we’re talking about a sapphire crystal that is normally very hard to scratch or chip.

Thanks for the info. I don’t know if it’s sapphire… Maybe not Mine isn’t a massively expensive or rare watch, though I had to order it from Europe since Braun didn’t distribute my model in the U.S. It cost about $250 roughly 10 years ago.

(With car glass scratches, there are liquids you can apply to the windshield and then buff out with pads, sometimes attached to a power drill. Too big anc rough I suspect for a watch. Just thought there might be a mini-equivalent.)

Thanks for the info. I don’t know if it’s sapphire… Maybe not Mine isn’t a massively expensive or rare watch, though I had to order it from Europe since Braun didn’t distribute my model in the U.S. It cost about $250 roughly 10 years ago.

(With car glass scratches, there are liquids you can apply to the windshield and then buff out with pads, sometimes attached to a power drill. Too big anc rough I suspect for a watch. Just thought there might be a mini-equivalent.)
If it’s old, the crystal is likely plexiglass, not glass, so those fillers won’t work. If it gets really bad, you can replace it. I had one replaced and promptly dinged it a couple of weeks later- I’ll live with it. Most of my vintage watches have minor scratches, it’s all part of the charm.

The introduction of sapphire crystals has been nice.

If it’s like Safelite glass repair it still leaves the mark. Just doesn’t let it continue to expand. What you’re describing is unlikely to be sapphire crystal but my next question is what kind of movement does that watch have? Highly precise mechanical movements don’t like vibration (power drill) and can be damaged by even polishing of the case if the movement is not removed beforehand.

Agree with warma to just leave it alone most likely.

If it’s like Safelite glass repair it still leaves the mark. Just doesn’t let it continue to expand. What you’re describing is unlikely to be sapphire crystal but my next question is what kind of movement does that watch have? Highly precise mechanical movements don’t like vibration (power drill) and can be damaged by even polishing of the case if the movement is not removed beforehand.

Agree with warma to just leave it alone most likely.
The technical term escape me at the moment, but the auto glass repair works so well because the liquid they inject has the same light transmission properties as auto glass. Watch crystals are a different material.

But I got curious and found this:

Seems to work on acrylic, but not mineral crystals. There may be hope after all.

Last edited:
The technical term escape me at the moment, but the auto glass repair works so well because the liquid they inject has the same light transmission properties as auto glass. Watch crystals are a different material.

But I got curious and found this:

Seems to work on acrylic, but not mineral crystals. There may be hope after all.

FWIW, there are several types of auto glass repair kits — some which are meant to stop cracks from expanding, others to buff out scratches. Different products as I recall.

The most specific specs on my watch’s glass that I can find are “K1-Hardened Mineral Glass,” elsewhere referred to as “scratch-resistant mineral glass.”

Anyone have a watch dealer they work with? Looking to sell a few watches and got insanely bad quotes from a local shop that I've bought from previously. Bad enough I probably never buy from them again.

Anyone have a watch dealer they work with? Looking to sell a few watches and got insanely bad quotes from a local shop that I've bought from previously. Bad enough I probably never buy from them again.
Depends on the merch you're unloading, but I have a guy I've bought and sold 10 watches with out of Boca Raton - likes to deal on swiss and gives fair value. There is also plenty of options for selling them yourself, several sights you can list them on and even r/watchexchange on reddit - if you want the guys info send me a pm

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom