The Watch Thread (9 Viewers)

Not up to the standards on here but did buy this for my son for his 18th a couple of years ago. Don't know how the watch community view the swissmatic movement but he loves it and the quality for the price was great
View attachment 907107View attachment 907108

Rocking my Tissot right now!
image.jpg

Ugh. Do I want this or a bunch of Grand chips? View attachment 907124
A Pilot's Watch is on my short list for my next watch - the 41mm Top Gun ceratanium is likely my favourite. Hadn't seen this model until now and it's fantastic. With the black band, it looks even sharper imo.

1651869304570.png

I almost wrote Grand chips before realizing this was a Mercedes team watch. My Tag Formula 1 is actually my every day watch and has been for over a decade. Tough call. I tend to only wear my F1 merch (besides my watch) at the track or for related events.

Do you see yourself wearing this regularly? It seems almost too nice to wear casually and too loud/different to wear at anything formal, but I don't know your watch habits or rotation.
It's definitely on the sportier/daily side for sure. My explorer and BB58 dress up pretty well though, so I've got that covered...Tried on the std 41mm pilot today, it's definitely a little chunky, especially after taking off the Explorer, but I like it.

It's definitely on the sportier/daily side for sure. My explorer and BB58 dress up pretty well though, so I've got that covered...Tried on the std 41mm pilot today, it's definitely a little chunky, especially after taking off the Explorer, but I like it.

I'd go watch for sure then if it's a regular wear, but I'm also very biased.

Pic with Mercedes/Hamilton/Botas from our seats last year at the Austin race:

fuICt9s.jpg

(sorry to derail the watch thread but the signs at least say "Rolex")

I'd go watch for sure then if it's a regular wear, but I'm also very biased.

Pic with Mercedes/Hamilton/Botas from our seats last year at the Austin race:

fuICt9s.jpg

(sorry to derail the watch thread but the signs at least say "Rolex")
I'm stoked that they're coming to Vegas in 2023, will definitely be trying to make that race.

I'm stoked that they're coming to Vegas in 2023, will definitely be trying to make that race.

I hope you can, it's going to be epic there. This will be my first year since like '12 not going to one, but I'll be back next year and am definitely going to look into Vegas too, although COTA is very easy/convenient for us.

My wife and I are F1 fans and have wanted to do a Vegas trip for some time (actually had one in the plans for 2020, but then she got pregnant and some virus shut everything down to boot!)

Definitely gonna do our best to make it for the debut Vegas GP!

A Pilot's Watch is on my short list for my next watch - the 41mm Top Gun ceratanium is likely my favourite. Hadn't seen this model until now and it's fantastic. With the black band, it looks even sharper imo.

View attachment 907154
You definitely can't go wrong with a flieger. I really like those pilot chronos, especially this Mercedes one, but they are a little thick for my taste (and wrist lol).

I blew my knee out and the transmission on my car went the same day last weekend, but luckily my new Stowa flieger arrived today to cheer me up.
PXL_20220507_040644957~2.jpg
PXL_20220507_021047011.jpg
PXL_20220507_021119048.jpg
PXL_20220507_021158988.jpg

Not up to the standards on here but did buy this for my son for his 18th a couple of years ago. Don't know how the watch community view the swissmatic movement but he loves it and the quality for the price was great
View attachment 907107View attachment 907108
That's a great gift for your son's 18th. I'm sure he loves it, but I imagine you've set him down a slippery and expensive slope lol.

That's a great gift for your son's 18th. I'm sure he loves it, but I imagine you've set him down a slippery and expensive slope lol.
Will be his 21st this year and he will (hopefully) be graduating next year so more milestone gifts in the pipeline. Need to start saving lol!

I don’t know much about rgm but looks like a nice microbrand watch company. i like there model 25 with the art deco dial. 40mm, sapphire crystal, display back, 22 mm lug width has it all.

I’ve admired the Arnold & Son UTTE for some time now. An in-house ultrathin movement (2.97mm thick!) with a flying tourbillon complication, with high-end finishing (not quite Lange/Patek, but close), by an autonomous/independent Swiss boutique haute horologie brand that produces fewer than 1,000 watches per year, which is backed by the financial resources of a major Japanese brand, Citizen.

Anyway, the opportunity to pick one up second-hand at a fantastic price, in unworn condition with boxes and papers, was just too good to pass up. I may be selling some chips soon...lol.

My iphone photos don't really do it justice. The finishing, including the hand-polished chamfered edges, mirror polishing and hand engraved tourbillon bridge, is stunning IRL.

UTTE1.jpg
UTTE2.jpg
UTTE4a.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve admired the Arnold & Son UTTE for some time now. An in-house ultrathin movement with a tourbillon, with high-end finishing (not quite Lange/Patek, but close), by an autonomous/independent Swiss boutique haute horologie brand backed by the financial resources of a major Japanese brand, Citizen, that produces fewer than 1,000 watches per year.

Anyway, the opportunity to pick one up second-hand at a fantastic price, in unworn condition with boxes and papers, was too good to pass up.

My iphone photos don't really do it justice. The finishing, including the hand-polished chamfered edges, mirror polishing and hand engraved tourbillon bridge, is stunning IRL.

View attachment 927510View attachment 927509
We need a drool emoji...that movement is extraordinary

Looking for thoughts on the IWC Portuguese? Not asking about preference for dress versus every day, but more of a question about concerns that I should consider about the movement, etc. before dropping a chunk of change.

It looks like a few of you, @kmccormick100, are eyeballing the Pilot, but I've fallen for this damn thing, which is 3x my initial budget. This shit's worse than poker chips...LOL!! Has/does anybody own one that can share their thoughts?

Screenshot_20220801-071243_Chrono24.jpg

Last edited:
Looking for thoughts on the IWS Portuguese? Not asking about preference for dress versus every day, but more of a question about concerns that I should consider about the movement, etc. before dropping a chunk of change.

It looks like a few of you, @kmccormick100, are eyeballing the Pilot, but I've fallen for this damn thing, which is 3x my initial budget. This shit's worse than poker chips...LOL!! Has/does anybody own one that can share their thoughts?

View attachment 959193
That’s my grail watch. White face, blue band

Looking for thoughts on the IWC Portuguese? Not asking about preference for dress versus every day, but more of a question about concerns that I should consider about the movement, etc. before dropping a chunk of change.

View attachment 959193

I love IWC. They make some incredible watches. I’ve owned a few over the years including the Portuguese Chrono that you pictured above. As of now, I don’t own any IWC’s although I would like to add a Portugiser Perpetual Calendar at some point.

There’s not much bad you can say about IWC. However I’ll list a few reasons why I sold off the ones I have owned in the past. Maybe that will help.

1 - they’re a little thick for my preferences. I wouldn’t consider them dress watches, but they’re definitely not sport watches. So the thickness was a little awkward. They don’t fit well under a cuff, especially the Portuguese Auto 7 day that I often tried to wear with a cuff.

2- the IWC Portuguese chrono that I owned didn’t have an in house movement. It was a modified ETA. I thought for the price, it should be in house. Now they do make an in house movement for this model. They also raised the price a lot!

3 - lastly, they lose value much worse than many other comparable brands. I know value doesn’t matter if you never care to resell. But just like poker chips, if you’re collective a sizable collection or just care about resale at all it sure helps knowing they retain value. Unfortunately IWC does not. I’d expect to lose 50% immediately. Maybe a little less with this crazy war h market but overall don’t expect it to appreciate.

Otherwise, they are amazing watches. Here’s a pic of the last one I owned which I really did like!

9603F6E4-5EAB-43E2-BB6E-B5DA3396F9DE.jpeg

I love IWC. They make some incredible watches. I’ve owned a few over the years including the Portuguese Chrono that you pictured above. As of now, I don’t own any IWC’s although I would like to add a Portugiser Perpetual Calendar at some point.

There’s not much bad you can say about IWC. However I’ll list a few reasons why I sold off the ones I have owned in the past. Maybe that will help.

1 - they’re a little thick for my preferences. I wouldn’t consider them dress watches, but they’re definitely not sport watches. So the thickness was a little awkward. They don’t fit well under a cuff, especially the Portuguese Auto 7 day that I often tried to wear with a cuff.

2- the IWC Portuguese chrono that I owned didn’t have an in house movement. It was a modified ETA. I thought for the price, it should be in house. Now they do make an in house movement for this model. They also raised the price a lot!

3 - lastly, they lose value much worse than many other comparable brands. I know value doesn’t matter if you never care to resell. But just like poker chips, if you’re collective a sizable collection or just care about resale at all it sure helps knowing they retain value. Unfortunately IWC does not. I’d expect to lose 50% immediately. Maybe a little less with this crazy war h market but overall don’t expect it to appreciate.

Otherwise, they are amazing watches. Here’s a pic of the last one I owned which I really did like!

View attachment 959222
VERY helpful, thank you!! This is exactly the information I was looking for. I'm going to try one on this weekend, so I will keep these points in mind.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I love the IWC Portuguese, but would probably try and pick one up used vs new if I were in the market. ETA vs In-house is fun to nerd out on, but doesn’t really ever actually affect much.
Yes, definitely looking at used. New at twice the cost doesn't seem to make sense. But then I'm that guy that has never owned a brand new car. :)

Thanks!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom