The Watch Thread (5 Viewers)

Just picked up this 6138-8020 Seiko panda and I am loving it even more than I thought I would.
27A250E9-DBD4-496B-88BC-8FF9AB47E8E9.jpeg

^ That Seiko is insane, nice one there. The Grand Seiko doesn't get the love it deserves.

Looking for thoughts on the IWC Portuguese? Not asking about preference for dress versus every day, but more of a question about concerns that I should consider about the movement, etc. before dropping a chunk of change.

It looks like a few of you, @kmccormick100, are eyeballing the Pilot, but I've fallen for this damn thing, which is 3x my initial budget. This shit's worse than poker chips...LOL!! Has/does anybody own one that can share their thoughts?

View attachment 959193
I love IWC. They make some incredible watches. I’ve owned a few over the years including the Portuguese Chrono that you pictured above. As of now, I don’t own any IWC’s although I would like to add a Portugiser Perpetual Calendar at some point.

There’s not much bad you can say about IWC. However I’ll list a few reasons why I sold off the ones I have owned in the past. Maybe that will help.

1 - they’re a little thick for my preferences. I wouldn’t consider them dress watches, but they’re definitely not sport watches. So the thickness was a little awkward. They don’t fit well under a cuff, especially the Portuguese Auto 7 day that I often tried to wear with a cuff.

2- the IWC Portuguese chrono that I owned didn’t have an in house movement. It was a modified ETA. I thought for the price, it should be in house. Now they do make an in house movement for this model. They also raised the price a lot!

3 - lastly, they lose value much worse than many other comparable brands. I know value doesn’t matter if you never care to resell. But just like poker chips, if you’re collective a sizable collection or just care about resale at all it sure helps knowing they retain value. Unfortunately IWC does not. I’d expect to lose 50% immediately. Maybe a little less with this crazy war h market but overall don’t expect it to appreciate.

Otherwise, they are amazing watches. Here’s a pic of the last one I owned which I really did like!

View attachment 959222
I love the IWC Portuguese, but would probably try and pick one up used vs new if I were in the market. ETA vs In-house is fun to nerd out on, but doesn’t really ever actually affect much.
Yes, definitely looking at used. New at twice the cost doesn't seem to make sense. But then I'm that guy that has never owned a brand new car. :)

Thanks!!
Not much to add here that hasn't already been said. IWC is an outstanding brand and makes some amazing watches (I have an unusual one). The biggest criticisms are those already mentioned: size (IWC seems to love making BIG watches), lack of in-house movement, and pricing. That said, they are still fantastic watches, even for the price, and with careful buying can be found at outstanding prices. Their movements also wont be as nicely finished as top-level haute horologie brands, but that's to be expected at the price point. IWCs are solid choices and classics. I love the Portuguese line of watches, and if it wasn't for the size, I'd already own one.

If you're looking at used, which I think is a great idea, I can't recommend enough that you check out Watchfinder.com. They are one of the biggest second-hand dealers, and are owned by Richmont (the parent company of IWC), so in addition to having a ton of IWC's, they are totally legit, selling authentic goods, and will stand behind what they sell. Additionally, they will include a warranty, which, as a part of Richmont, is effectively a manufacturer warranty. I've purchased from them before, and if you want me to put you in touch with one of the US sales managers at Richmont's US headquarters in NYC, let me know. I don't have any financial interest--just a very satisfied customer. FYI, you should know that you can definitely negotiate on price.

Finally grabbed one of these cheap. Surprisingly loving wearing it as a daily beater, fun and light. View attachment 967577
Glad you didn't jump the gun and spend silly money when they were first released. Folks treated them like they were going to be limited, when, in fact, they aren't. Looks great!

Last edited:
Not much to add here that hasn't already been said. IWC is an outstanding brand and makes some amazing watches (I have an unusual one). The biggest criticisms are those already mentioned: size (IWC seems to love making BIG watches), lack of in-house movement, and pricing. That said, they are still fantastic watches, even for the price, and with careful buying can be found at outstanding prices. Their movements also wont be as nicely finished as top-level haute horologie brands, but that's to be expected at the price point. IWCs are solid choices and classics. I love the Portuguese line of watches, and if it wasn't for the size, I'd already own one.

If you're looking at used, which I think is a great idea, I can't recommend enough that you check out Watchfinder.com. They are one of the biggest second-hand dealers, and are owned by Richmont (the parent company of IWC), so in addition to having a ton of IWC's, they are totally legit, selling authentic goods, and will stand behind what they sell. Additionally, they will include a warranty, which, as a part of Richmont, is effectively a manufacturer warranty. I've purchased from them before, and if you want me to put you in touch with one of the US sales managers at Richmont's US headquarters in NYC, let me know. I don't have any financial interest--just a very satisfied customer. FYI, you should know that you can definitely negotiate on price.
Thank you very much!! I will definitely take you up on the offer when I am ready to pull the trigger.

Picked up my first Zenith, an El Primero. I like it WAY more than I thought I would. This should help me fend off the urge to buy the IWC I want....at least for a couple weeks...LOL.

View attachment 970006
she's a beauty, very nice and congrats! I've been itching for a new watch myself... but I have my 40th birthday coming up in a few weeks and I splurged on a car so the wife would not be happy if I got one right now lol

she's a beauty, very nice and congrats! I've been itching for a new watch myself... but I have my 40th birthday coming up in a few weeks and I splurged on a car so the wife would not be happy if I got one right now lol
Thank you!

A car's not a horrible birthday gift, congrats!!

Just tell her that the clock in your car went out. She'll understand. ;)

I almost wrote Grand chips before realizing this was a Mercedes team watch. My Tag Formula 1 is actually my every day watch and has been for over a decade. Tough call. I tend to only wear my F1 merch (besides my watch) at the track or for related events.
Got some chips in today to match.
wGiSI7L.jpg

Picked up my first Zenith, an El Primero. I like it WAY more than I thought I would. This should help me fend off the urge to buy the IWC I want....at least for a couple weeks...LOL.

View attachment 970006

Sweeet! We seem to be thinking alike. I've had my eye on an El Primero, glad you like it.

I too am looking at an IWC - either the Portuguese or the Pilot Le Petit.

I had an incoming myself yesterday. This is a Tudor Black Bay 58 silver. The case is made from .925 silver, which is pretty neat. It has a really unique luster and feel to it. It’s a stunning watch. I plan on taking it off the leather strap and adding a nylon strap to it.
C700755C-E6D2-41D0-9B51-93865DB0FF32.jpeg
351E401B-59F7-4A51-9EF4-A2AA9C80AE5F.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom