The Watch Thread (2 Viewers)

Shinola FTW!

I looked at shinolas and it’s pretty much all marketing. The movements are basic Japanese quartz movements available in a variety of brand that are usually 1/5-1/3rd the cost. For the same price you can get a Hamilton automatic which are awesome watches with A great automatic movements.

This counts right?

20180203_153910.jpg

And now back to the serious posts.

I always wanted one of those retro Hamilton watches that were the off centered triangles. Very cool looking. I have never been good with leather bands, though. I sweat too much.

I looked at shinolas and it’s pretty much all marketing. The movements are basic Japanese quartz movements available in a variety of brand that are usually 1/5-1/3rd the cost. For the same price you can get a Hamilton automatic which are awesome watches with A great automatic movements.

This is correct. Brand was bought and fabricated by the guy who founded the great 90’s brand Fossil.

They do make some things that are good but watch movements are not one of them.

Watches are another thing that has gone out of control over the last 10+ years... I no longer buy watches but have collected a few over the years.

Nice Panerai. If I'm honest I'm disappointed, I half expected you to be rocking a gold ap royal Oak chronograph or some sort of Patek Philippe lol

I suppose the gold bars means you do have those squirelled away somewhere

For many years, I wore a Braun watch which was only available in Europe and cost about $250. Great everyday watch which appealed to my modernist/minimalist design sensibility.

As with so many things, Apple cribbed the band design from Braun, and I have an Apple Watch now.

The Braun model I preferred now appears to be more widely available and a lot cheaper. If this price is real, that is about the best watch deal imaginable in the under-$100 category:

https://www.watchshop.com/mens-braun-watch-bn0082gyslmhg-p99940849.html

54056E5F-19F3-4568-A1C1-53568DE34A07.png

Damn, the offshore was going to be my first guess. Very nice.

And people were shocked at what you spent on chips lol.

I do love a nice watch. I've been wanting a jlc grand Reverso for the last few years, unfortunately my watch buying days are over for the considerable future.

Damn, the offshore was going to be my first guess. Very nice.

And people were shocked at what you spent on chips lol.

I do love a nice watch. I've been wanting a jlc grand Reverso for the last few years, unfortunately my watch buying days are over for the considerable future.

I actually don't own most of the watches anymore... just kept few. There was bargain a long time ago in watches I thought, but right now everything is way overpriced.

I also don't expect to own all the poker chips either in the future. Just a few keeper sets and that's it... I actually think there's decent value in some of the poker chips. A "top of the line" playable set is like $5k-ish USD and you seriously enjoy looking at it for 6-8 hour sessions. There's a lot of shared enjoyment with the poker chips amongst your friends as well.

I cannot look at watches for that long. Nice watches I feel like are too flashy for everyday use. They usually just stay in the closet. I won't show up to work with a flashy watch. I do enjoy wearing it in Vegas when chillin at the Bellagio though. That's why I think 1-2 are plenty.

And the Richard Mille coming up next lol?

Never liked/owned any of 'em... always feel they were completely overpriced. There were a lot of "new" watch brands coming out during the watch boom and Mille was one of them. When I say new I mean new relative to watch makers with a lot of history behind them. Hublot and Richard Mille were always ones I thought just came out with watches and set arbitrarily high prices just as a marketing tool. Hublot is like a complete rip off of AP... (apologize if any Hublot owners here! haha)

Never liked/owned any of 'em... always feel they were completely overpriced. There were a lot of "new" watch brands coming out during the watch boom and Mille was one of them. When I say new I mean new relative to watch makers with a lot of history behind them. Hublot and Richard Mille were always ones I thought just came out with watches and set arbitrarily high prices just as a marketing tool. Hublot is like a complete rip off of AP... (apologize if any Hublot owners here! haha)
Couldn't agree more on the hublots (also my apologies).

Luckily for me my grail watch (speedy pro) is realtively cheap and I was able to afford it. I've also got a cheap Frederique constant for daily wear, which I quite like.

My favourite brand would have to be Lange & Sohne. If I came into money that would be my first purchase. That and a royal Oak chronograph.

Couldn't agree more on the hublots (also my apologies).

Luckily for me my grail watch (speedy pro) is realtively cheap and I was able to afford it. I've also got a cheap Frederique constant for daily wear, which I quite like.

My favourite brand would have to be Lange & Sohne. If I came into money that would be my first purchase. That and a royal Oak chronograph.

A Lange's are SOOOOO nice... great taste!

For many years, I wore a Braun watch which was only available in Europe and cost about $250. Great everyday watch which appealed to my modernist/minimalist design sensibility.

As with so many things, Apple cribbed the band design from Braun, and I have an Apple Watch now.

The Braun model I preferred now appears to be more widely available and a lot cheaper. If this price is real, that is about the best watch deal imaginable in the under-$100 category:

https://www.watchshop.com/mens-braun-watch-bn0082gyslmhg-p99940849.html

View attachment 278748

What a simple and elegant piece.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom