The Return of Av8tion - Poker as an Income Stream (2 Viewers)

Today has been the worst poker day of my life... the losses I sustained today will haunt me for the rest of my life, and I may never financially recover from the losses I incurred...

...just kidding

5 hours of poker that started with me dropping a buyin early when a maniac decided to go all-in on a 5-6-6 board with 98o and I decided to look him up with A6s... unfortunately the poker gods decided to gift him a 7 on the river..... my board pair must be on back-order so he gets a buyin from me.

I claw some of it back and pretty much hover around the flatline of my second buyin for most of the rest of the session.

Time played: 5 hours

Total Time Played for August/September: 53 Hours

Result: -$430

Total Win/Loss for August/September: -$875

New Bankroll: $9,125

It's been a long time coming.....

Lose 500 early with an open-ended str8 flush draw that misses twice, add back on and proceed to hit hands hard

doubled up with a flopped flush allin against two pair, both runouts hold..

Another allin I have AQ vs JQ on a Q-high flop and I win 3/4 when the second runout gives us both a straight...

Let's press on and start building up on the right side of 10k...

Total Time Played for August/September: 58 Hours

Result: $980

Total Win/Loss for August/September: $105

New Bankroll: $10,105

Another good session at the Hangar...

Craziest hand I played was a 3-way showdown including an all-in where I won the entire pot with an unimproved Jack high... yeah... you read that right...

Most of the profit for the night came from getting 3 streets of value with AA against AK on a K-high flop... other than that, it's just nice to string together a few winning sessions...

Total Time Played for August/September: 63 Hours

Result: $550

Total Win/Loss for August/September: $655

New Bankroll: $10,655

Usually not posting updates at 9 in the morning... but here we go...

Can't go up forever... never really got anything going over a long session where we didn't play too many big pots and certainly didn't win any big pots.

I ran a set into a flush
I ran top two into a flush
I ran a flush into a boat
I sucked out with top two against bottom set :)

all in all, I don't feel too bad about how I played... I just wish things ran a little better

...and I hate the fucking assholes who think it's cool to only run it once....

Brings us back into the wrong end of 10k for the moment... but we're back at the hanger this evening after some sleep, and there's always a good amount of money to be made there, so I'm optimistic about ending the day with 3 green numbers at the end of the next update.

Time played: 13 hours

Total Time Played for August/September: 76 Hours

Result: -$1,230

Total Win/Loss for August/September: -$575

New Bankroll: $9,425

Bummer on the session

why does it bother you if people prefer to run once? As an experienced player putting in time the results will align to your equity in the long run. No need to worry about how aligned individual hands are.

I only run once. Doesn’t change a thing to me. If I’m ahead I don’t want to get chopped running 2 times and if I’m behind is just rather hit it and win that get chopped. I’ve run twice maybe once this year and it was because I was way behind and tilting and I didn’t wanna rebuy. The other player new the reason and was fine. I see merit for both, but just prefer once. Also if you’re properly rolled it shouldn’t really matter.

Looks like @Anthony Martino and I are both taking a ride on the Downswing Express this week....

Good news... I got AKs 7 times during the course of the day....

Bad news... I ran into pocket kings 5 times during the course of the day... twice while holding the above AKs and once on a K-high flop

It's hard to keep saying to yourself the run will average itself out after dealing with the past month, but sometimes all you can do is go to Hooters, enjoy the scenery... eat a fuck-ton of boneless wings, and grind it back up the next day...

When I say I made every wrong play today, it doesn't even seem like an overstatement... I made a tough call on the river only to find out that my opponent called a preflop raise with T-7o and flopped a boat... I made a hero-fold for 160 more into a $500 pot only to be shown a bluff... the only thing good I can take away from today was the fact that I never lost my temper during the entire night.... sometimes I get pissed when something ridiculous happens to me and I get tilty for a few hands... but today I calmly reloaded and folded the next few hands until I found a good spot to commit money. If anything, that's progress and I think if I can keep that up it will be an added profit down the line...

Time played: 4 hours

Total Time Played for August/September: 80 Hours

Result: -$1,500

Total Win/Loss for August/September: -$2,075

New Bankroll: $7,925

I'll be online tomorrow to tell the story of the greatest suckout night in the history of poker, but honestly I'm too tired and angry to recap everything that happened tonight, so I'll leave the update here for now and fill in the details tomorrow.

Time played: 11 hours

Total Time Played for August/September: 91 Hours

Result: -$1,625

Total Win/Loss for August/September: -$3,700

New Bankroll: $6,300

A non-exhaustive list of what happened last night.

I get it all-in on the flop with 2 overs and a flush draw against top pair. Another asshole who only runs it once... he holds... pretty standard, move on to the next buyin... I was fairly short anyways...

I miss a hand going to the bathroom, and got told that I had K-K as I watch a guy with A-A scoop a massive pot on a K-high board

I get T7d in the straddle with a bunch of limpers and check... flop comes 6x-8d-9d! SB bets 45, UTG calls, folded to me who makes it 270 total. SB folds... UTG tanks and folds telling me he had TJo... we run the board out for fun and the turn would've been a 7 for the suckout... it seems the only way I can get a pot is to get everyone to fold lol....

I play the super-premium hand 6-4 of hearts in the BB after several people limp to a flop of A-2-3. SB checks, I check, MP bets 20.. SB calls, and I float with a straight and backdoor flush draw against two big stacks. Turn card is the miracle 5h giving me a 6-high straight and a flush and str8 flush redraw. SB checks, I check, MP bets 80... SB calls... I tank for about a minute fiddling with the 80 in calling chips before announcing a raise of 250 more... I'm hoping that it looks like a squeeze play and the MP agressor will jam or call light, but it's no use... MP folds and SB calls. River comes a deuce, pairing the board. SB moves all-in and I snap-call as I don't put him on a set the way he's played the hand and my history with him. I show the 6-high straight, and he flopped the wheel.... so for once I'm on the favorable end of a suckout... I scoop an $1,100 pot :)

That was the last happy moment I got to enjoy last night... what follows is the most incredible compilation of suckouts in the history of poker... and I'm not exaggerating...

The following hands happened within an hour of each other...

I check 62o in the BB and flop A-6-2. I bet all streets for value and get rivered by A-4 hitting a 4 on the river.

Preflop has been raised to 20 and 4 people call. I shove all-in with pocket aces for about 300 and get called by AJo who "wanted to gamble".. board runs out 4 spades and guess who has the fucking As?

I run the nut flush into a straight flush...

I run a flopped nut straight on a rainbow flop into runner-runner quads all-in on the flop.

I am beyond mentally drained after last night, and I think the best thing to do is to take a couple days off and do something other than poker... then come back mid-week and get back to rebuilding from the hole I'm in... I have seen the extreme end of variance... and it's not a very pretty sight to behold... being a 95% favorite and then a 99.5% favorite in almost back-to-back hands and lose them both is certainly the low point of my poker career thus far... I'm hoping I can get back at it with a fresh start in a few days and put all that behind me.

More updates to come next week.... James Bond will return...

I miss a hand going to the bathroom, and got told that I had K-K as I watch a guy with A-A scoop a massive pot on a K-high board
Your hand should've been killed and mixed inretrievably in the muck... How did they know you had KK? Are you sure they're not just busting your chops?

Last edited:
Damn man, must be something about this month.

I had AAxx vs TT42 on an AT7 rainbow flop and he went runner runner 35

Next day I get it in as a 78% favorite for the biggest pot of my life ($8,450) and he rivers his flush and celebrates, I lose 4k

Very next hand same fish raises, I limp repot and he repots to iso. I have AAT9 vs J875 and the board comes 6K4...3...X to give him another 1k from me

He leaves and I limp repot to 500 with AAJ5 with A5 diamonds after the table nit raises to 100 with KQT9 ds. 3 ways to a 986 two diamond flop, shove my 850 into the 1600 pot, both guys call (nit has KQ diamonds) we go twice, he runner-runners boats on both boards (K9 then KK) lol

Two days ago I'm the rock in a limped pot, flop is T99 with T9 of clubs, I have QT9x and pot when they check to me.

Fish with 86 (clubs) and 52 calls, then drills the one outer 7 of clubs on me

You are not alone in your pain

Last edited:
I seem to run well on Saturdays....

Played a few good pots... finally flopped a set and got 3 streets of value... made some bluffs... made a hero call against a guy who basically threw his money away... nice short session that was well-needed. After all the recent losses and suckouts it feels incredibly well to take a break for a week and book a winning session to get the momentum going in the right direction...

Total Time Played for August/September: 96 Hours

Result: $680

Total Win/Loss for August/September: -$3,020

New Bankroll: $6,980

Whelp... last night I played a session and got basically nothing accomplished...

no big hands, no huge pots... 4 hours of practicing my origami skills and taking the occasional small pot to top off my stack back to the even mark.

Even though it's a loss booked, it was nice to have a stress-free poker session... probably another session tonight or tomorrow to wrap up the month... here's hoping October brings better results...

Total Time Played for August/September: 100 Hours

Result: -$120

Total Win/Loss for August/September: -$3,140

New Bankroll: $6,860

Couple quick updates from the last couple days... not too much happened over the last two sessions.. few major pots or suckouts or bad beats... just grinding...
Still stuck in makeup but it's nice to smooth out the roller coaster a little and book a few wins, especially since I had to come from behind tonight..

Session 1

Total Time Played for October: 4 Hours

Result: $309

Total Win/Loss for October: $309

New Bankroll: $7,169

Session 2

Total Time Played for October: 9 Hours

Result: $52

Total Win/Loss for October: $361

New Bankroll: $7,221

you are stuck in makeup...I just dont get it. So you split your profits but have to make up your losses? Please explain to me how this is a good deal for you, seeing that you already had a bankroll.

I would love to hear some sound reasoning behind staking....I know I must be missing something because there are a ton of people doing it.

you are stuck in makeup...I just dont get it. So you split your profits but have to make up your losses? Please explain to me how this is a good deal for you, seeing that you already had a bankroll.

I would love to hear some sound reasoning behind staking....I know I must be missing something because there are a ton of people doing it.

I can't speak for Avi8tion but for me I recently entered into a partial staking deal (I put my own roll into it as well). It allows me to play higher stakes games and buyin for more into some of the games I was already playing (like 5/5/10) because under my own roll I was sticking to 3k/day as my loss-limit.

I wound up having my best month ever the first month under the stake (and my worst month ever right after, although roughly half my monthly losses were from a single day, mostly from a huge pot I played as a 78% favorite).

So it gives me flexibility to take more chances, open my game up, etc. while having some additional bankroll cushion for the swings as I play more aggressive games where my variance is going to be swingier.

I can't speak for Avi8tion but for me I recently entered into a partial staking deal (I put my own roll into it as well). It allows me to play higher stakes games and buyin for more into some of the games I was already playing (like 5/5/10) because under my own roll I was sticking to 3k/day as my loss-limit.

I wound up having my best month ever the first month under the stake (and my worst month ever right after, although roughly half my monthly losses were from a single day, mostly from a huge pot I played as a 78% favorite).

So it gives me flexibility to take more chances, open my game up, etc. while having some additional bankroll cushion for the swings as I play more aggressive games where my variance is going to be swingier.
Yes, ok....but if you are in payback when you lose, but split when you win....how much extra do you have to win to float all the loss and half the wins? Or am I missing an important step?

Yes, ok....but if you are in payback when you lose, but split when you win....how much extra do you have to win to float all the loss and half the wins? Or am I missing an important step?

A typical arrangement where the player is backed 100% means the player gets 50% of any wins

If the player loses and is in makeup then they have to win enough to cover the losses first before profit can be shared again.

In my arrangement this is done monthly. If I win for the month the shares are split.

If I lose then the makeup carries over into the next month.

The backer(s) is taking the full brunt of the losses, and can either keep funding the player or sever the agreement.

If makeup is owed and the backer decides they want to end the arrangement, the makeup is forgiven

If the player wants to stop but is in makeup, they have to agree to a buyout plan with the backer

My arrangement is unique in that I am funding a significant portion of the bankroll mysrlf (roughly half) so I get a larger percentage of wins than 50% because of that, but I also have skin in the game

Makeup means I have to "make up" any losses before I can start collecting profits... I'm not on the hook for any losses, but if I somehow turn it around this month and make a profit, I will only split anything above the 10k original bankroll.

That said, that goal is farther away than it ever has been...

I was all-in 4 times and lost each one of them.

-2 overs and open ended straight draw bricked twice against a lower straight

-TPTK lost to second pair who hit trips on the turn (got it in bad on that one,

-Nut flush loses to a set that fills up on the river "another win for the run it once club.... smh"

-AQ allin preflop against a pocket pair unimproved on one flop and 2 turns and rivers (shortstacked at that point)

I finally flopped a set and won a pot once... although not for very much... now I'm like 1 for 100 this month...

Time played: 6 hours

Total Time Played for October: 15 Hours

Result: -$1,210

Total Win/Loss for October: -$849

New Bankroll: $6,011

I go to work next week, so I'll be playing the 1-3 game over at the cinci hard rock when I can to try to run it back up... I can honestly say I'm the most frustrated with poker than I have been for a very long time...

Here's where we will be starting off:
  • I am beginning with a bankroll of $10,000 playing 1/3NL at the local cardroom down the street. I may also choose to play different games as they become available.
  • I will be supplementing the bankroll with my main income stream at the rate of $1,000 per month.

Have you added $3000 to your original bankroll?

Have you added $3000 to your original bankroll?
Read through the thread.. this isn't the original post... this is part of a staking agreement.... the original idea was sidelined temporarily for unforeseen expenses... hopefully to resume next year.

First time back from work, easing back into it with a short session... good to start things off with booking a win...

Got some value out of made hands, nothing really to talk about... only played a couple hours

Time played: 2 hours

Total Time Played for November: 2 Hours

Result: $410

Total Win/Loss for November: $410

New Bankroll: $6,421

2 days, one update

About even after a weekend of poker minus the table fees (more rake is better, right?) Had some things go my way and not go my way... not too much to complain about... not like it would matter if I did.

I'll have 1-2 more sessions this month guaranteed then I'm heading out for work for at least the rest of the month if not until the middle of December, so updates will be sparse unless I end up in Cincinnati a lot. Still up for the month and looking to keep it going in that direction :)

Time played: 14 hours

Total Time Played for November: 16 Hours

Result: -$171

Total Win/Loss for November: $239

New Bankroll: $6,250

I'm trying a new strategy where I'm not keeping track of my wins/losses until the end of the week. That way, it's just a continuous session of playing my best poker and I'm less concerned with whether I'm up or down for the session. It seems to be working so far... 3 sessions played this week with plenty of ups and downs... but with this new approach I seem to be bothered less by suckouts and short-term fluctuations and just stick to playing each hand the best I can. I'm off to work for a month now, so unless I get a few days in Cincinnati there won't be many updates until mid-November. That said, we finally have an up month in the books!

Time played: 15 hours

Total Time Played for November: 31 Hours

Result: $320

Total Win/Loss for November: $559

New Bankroll: $6,570

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom