The Return of Av8tion - Poker as an Income Stream (1 Viewer)

Chipping up after winning a $500 pot with aces...

20210829_110507.jpg

First, we get the update taken care of, then story time afterwards.

Time played: 6 hours

Total Time Played for August/September: 16 Hours

Result: $590

Total Win/Loss for August/September: -$695

New Bankroll: $9,305

OK here we go...

Unfortunately within 30 minutes of sitting down the drunks and rich people pretty much all left. The guy to my left had about 15k in front of him and his girlfriend to his left had just under 20 including the first 5k chip I've ever seen in Texas and the first 5k chip I've ever seen in a 1-3 game...

The girlfriend busted the person whose seat I took with T8o allin preflop against AK for a $12,000 pot. Let me be clear about this... this is 1-3 No Limit Hold'em.
The blinds are $1 and $3
The pot is $4 before cards are dealt
FOUR THOUSAND BIG BLINDS see the middle of the table before the flop.
What...The...Actual...Fuck....

Then the drunk guy opens to 5k like I already mentioned... then he started to get a little belligerent and pass-outy and had to call it a night, so no more spewing after that sadly (I was just waiting for aces)

The one massive pot I won was with AKo on the cutoff. We were playing with mandatory UTG straddles, so this is 1-3-6. 2-3 limpers. I limp behind.
Every single pot has been raised... there is practically zero chance of this going through without a raise. On queue, the straddle makes it another 20 to go. Two callers behind. I spring my trap and make it 126 total (another hundred on top). Straddle calls and everyone else folds. The far side of the table were comprised of good players I've been avoiding getting into pots against. I've folded almost everything, so the second they see me do this, they're insta-mucking. Let's see a flop...
K-J-x two diamonds. Straddle checks... she's a hardcore calling station who will lead out and bet only if she has a monster hand and will call if she has any piece of the board. Please keep that in mind for later on... I c-bet 225 into a pot of maybe 300. She reaches for her stack and makes the call.

Turn is an offsuit Ace, I'm now beating KJ, though she would've bet KJ as I've mentioned before. She checks, I bet 350 into a pot of about 750. She casually reaches for chips and makes the call. Pot is now around $1,500.

River is one of the worst cards in the deck, a Jack. She checks. With hindsight, I think I missed value on the river here. There is no way she has a jack here and doesn't lead out and bet. I essentially have the nuts on this board considering who I am playing against. I had almost exactly $1,000 left in my stack, a perfect 2/3 pot river shove.... and I don't do it... I flip over the A-K top two and she reveals pocket queens. I'm about 85% certain that I missed about $1,000 worth of value on the hand by not shoving the river and not trusting my mental notes on the player. In the end, I think I over-estimated how bad the river card was and short-changed my full thought process on the river... If I did a better job of thinking through what was going on I could've gotten some more money.

Last hour of play I lost a 1.2k pot when I flopped a straight and lost allin against two pair who binked a boat on the river... standard stuff... (FML)

Still, back-to-back winning sessions and I'm one average session from being back in the black for this period.

No poker today, working on my WW2 firearms collection. I've got a few bayonets coming in that I have to sign for and two local sales that if I pull off are practically steals... later on today I have some lighting coming in that I get to install on top of the slatwalls displaying the guns... should look pretty cool when it's all done! That said, I've got a looonng day ahead of me :(

OK here we go...

Unfortunately within 30 minutes of sitting down the drunks and rich people pretty much all left. The guy to my left had about 15k in front of him and his girlfriend to his left had just under 20 including the first 5k chip I've ever seen in Texas and the first 5k chip I've ever seen in a 1-3 game...

The girlfriend busted the person whose seat I took with T8o allin preflop against AK for a $12,000 pot. Let me be clear about this... this is 1-3 No Limit Hold'em.
The blinds are $1 and $3
The pot is $4 before cards are dealt
FOUR THOUSAND BIG BLINDS see the middle of the table before the flop.
What...The...Actual...Fuck....

Then the drunk guy opens to 5k like I already mentioned... then he started to get a little belligerent and pass-outy and had to call it a night, so no more spewing after that sadly (I was just waiting for aces)

The one massive pot I won was with AKo on the cutoff. We were playing with mandatory UTG straddles, so this is 1-3-6. 2-3 limpers. I limp behind.
Every single pot has been raised... there is practically zero chance of this going through without a raise. On queue, the straddle makes it another 20 to go. Two callers behind. I spring my trap and make it 126 total (another hundred on top). Straddle calls and everyone else folds. The far side of the table were comprised of good players I've been avoiding getting into pots against. I've folded almost everything, so the second they see me do this, they're insta-mucking. Let's see a flop...
K-J-x two diamonds. Straddle checks... she's a hardcore calling station who will lead out and bet only if she has a monster hand and will call if she has any piece of the board. Please keep that in mind for later on... I c-bet 225 into a pot of maybe 300. She reaches for her stack and makes the call.

Turn is an offsuit Ace, I'm now beating KJ, though she would've bet KJ as I've mentioned before. She checks, I bet 350 into a pot of about 750. She casually reaches for chips and makes the call. Pot is now around $1,500.

River is one of the worst cards in the deck, a Jack. She checks. With hindsight, I think I missed value on the river here. There is no way she has a jack here and doesn't lead out and bet. I essentially have the nuts on this board considering who I am playing against. I had almost exactly $1,000 left in my stack, a perfect 2/3 pot river shove.... and I don't do it... I flip over the A-K top two and she reveals pocket queens. I'm about 85% certain that I missed about $1,000 worth of value on the hand by not shoving the river and not trusting my mental notes on the player. In the end, I think I over-estimated how bad the river card was and short-changed my full thought process on the river... If I did a better job of thinking through what was going on I could've gotten some more money.

Last hour of play I lost a 1.2k pot when I flopped a straight and lost allin against two pair who binked a boat on the river... standard stuff... (FML)

Still, back-to-back winning sessions and I'm one average session from being back in the black for this period.
I know you said she's a calling station but i don't think it's automatic that she puts in an additional $1k on that river given the board is now KJxAJ - basically the worst board ever for QQ given the action pre, flop, turn. You would have to be on pure air at this point. Think the check behind is fine. If anything bet something very small - like $200.

Entertaining thread, thanks for continuing to share. I do 2nd the concerns (if you can call it that) from previous posters who encourage you to do a bit more study in between sessions. I know you say that $1/3 there is not strategy but I think these big swings suggest otherwise. Sometimes, when I look back over notes of hands I've played in big losing sessions for example, I realize that while maybe the river action was "Standard" or a "cooler" - that if I was playing my A game, I might have folded that hand pre or on the flop instead of getting myself into trouble later on. These are the kinds of leaks that only really come out through some additional study (I find). I think if you are going to make a real run at this, study will have to become part of your routine.

Entertaining thread, thanks for continuing to share. I do 2nd the concerns (if you can call it that) from previous posters who encourage you to do a bit more study in between sessions. I know you say that $1/3 there is not strategy but I think these big swings suggest otherwise. Sometimes, when I look back over notes of hands I've played in big losing sessions for example, I realize that while maybe the river action was "Standard" or a "cooler" - that if I was playing my A game, I might have folded that hand pre or on the flop instead of getting myself into trouble later on. These are the kinds of leaks that only really come out through some additional study (I find). I think if you are going to make a real run at this, study will have to become part of your routine.
study's not a problem... I already do more than enough of that... I just don't post all my hands on here

Also, big swings suggest that there's little to no strategy, not the other way around...

Last edited:
OK, let's close out the night...

Time played: 4 hours

Total Time Played for August/September: 20 Hours

Result: $215

Total Win/Loss for August/September: -$480

New Bankroll: $9,520

Treaded water for a bit... did a bunch of set-mining that never hit... but in the end, we're putting together winning sessions... almost back in black!

The Hangar's got its Omaha night tomorrow, so if I play tomorrow it'll be back at Chan's.

In for the max today... 1900 in buyins and I bought 100 in time for 2k total... slowly crawling back winning a few small pots.

All in all it's a good table with a few good targets... so I feel good despite being down early.

20210831_130821.jpg

Im in the straddle for 6 on the button... several limpers and I check with A5o.

Flop AK7

Check to me, I lead out for 20, 2 callers.

Turn 5

Check to me, I make it 65. EP makes it 100 more, folds to me, I call.

River 5

EP leads out for 250, I fake-tank for about 15-20 seconds and shove for another 400-500 or so more... he calls.

I flip over my boat and put the tip chips on my cards for the dealer.

...he turns over pocket sevens

Are you fucking kidding me?

Sometimes it's just not your day no matter how patient you are...

I'm at a loss... is anyone not going broke here? Am I missing something?

Anyways... the winning streak at chan's is finally over... it's been a good run...

Back home, time to update the stats:

Time played: 3 hours

Total Time Played for August/September: 23 Hours

Result: -$2,010

Total Win/Loss for August/September: -$2,490

New Bankroll: $7,510

How does that song go again? One step forward, two steps back?

Im in the straddle for 6 on the button... several limpers and I check with A5o.

Flop AK7

Check to me, I lead out for 20, 2 callers.

Turn 5

Check to me, I make it 65. EP makes it 100 more, folds to me, I call.

River 5

EP leads out for 250, I fake-tank for about 15-20 seconds and shove for another 400-500 or so more... he calls.

I flip over my boat and put the tip chips on my cards for the dealer.

...he turns over pocket sevens

Are you fucking kidding me?

Sometimes it's just not your day no matter how patient you are...

I'm at a loss... is anyone not going broke here? Am I missing something?

Anyways... the winning streak at chan's is finally over... it's been a good run...
With us not knowing the suits, the read on the players etc., whether we think we would go broke is irrelevant. I think the question needing to be answered is what did you put them on, if anything? Sometimes assuming the game is always beatable makes you lose focus on the game, and you become just another player consumed with your hand and your hand only.

Played for 3 hours until the table broke, then got invited to play some 15-30 limit big O which I did for the rest of the afternoon outside of the stake. Aces v Kings was the big pot of the session, otherwise unremarkable TBH... up a bit off the highs hit from the double-up.

Time played: 3 hours

Total Time Played for August/September: 26 Hours

Result: $590

Total Win/Loss for August/September: -$1,900

New Bankroll: $8,100

Today's game was certainly an experience....

Usually in the games I've been in... there's been a ton of action I've been a part of over the course of the session. Today, I folded every hand I was dealt for almost two hours straight, and I didn't play a single pot over $300 except for one...

I pick up pocket kings and get into a raising war with another player and a third caught in the middle. We get it all in preflop three ways...

board runs out A-2-J-7-7

the "caught in the middle" guy flips over pocket deuces for a boat, and the other guy mucks... I'm pretty sure I had third best hand on the runout...

All in all, we lost a little over a buyin... but in terms of sessions this was far more tame than I've seen lately. We book a medium-size loss for the day that brings us back to about even for the month, canceling out Wednesday's gains.

Time played: 8 hours

Total Time Played for August/September: 34 Hours

Result: -$620

Total Win/Loss for August/September: -$2,520

New Bankroll: $7,480

Today was pretty much literally the opposite of yesterday....

I played for 8 hours, hanging around even but slowly bleeding off chips to sets that didn't hit or other associated bullshit... no major hands won or lost....

until 1am...

just like so many times before, I'm in a big multi-way pot with a pocket pair... in this case T-T...

flop comes 5-9-T with two diamonds!

I lead out for 80 into a pot of about 100ish. Next player raises to 175, and a cold call follows. I tank for about a minute and think my options before reraising all-in for about 300 or so more. By the time I look up from counting out my chips, BOTH players have called!

1600 in the pot and we agree to run it twice. The first runout is terrible with a J on the turn and no paired board. Second board I bink the nine for the boat.

the cold-caller shows me JQd for the sicko combo draw and the original bettor mucks.

sick hold... and I more than triple up.

Last table of the night breaks a little before 3am.

Time played: 8 hours

Total Time Played for August/September: 42 Hours

Result: $700

Total Win/Loss for August/September: -$1,820

New Bankroll: $8,180

20210905_003249.jpg

20210905_011429.jpg

Last edited:
OK Everyone.....

do not adjust your television set

what you are about to read.... actually happened...

I decide to stop by the Hangar tonight to see if I can skim any money off the drunks who are trying to get their money back. I find the main game has a bunch of regs i'd rather not play against, and the feeder table with a few targets. I buy in for 500 as usual and sit down on my blind. Little did I know that my poker session for the day was minutes away from ending...

the 4th hand I play, I have AJo and see a flop after limp-calling (I've been doing a lot of flatting as opposed to three-betting lately to see more flops and under-rep some of my premium holdings... I've done this with QQ JJ TT and such as well recently with varying degrees of success)

3 to the flop of A-K-X with two diamonds. The original raiser shoves all-in on a $150ish pot. The straddle who was the only other preflop caller folds, and it's up to me. I have him covered. I start going through my thought process of what he might have and what he might be doing this with. I decide to flip my AJ face up, twirl it around a little, and stare at him...

I notice something in my subconscious and immediately that soul-read voice inside my head tells me "AJ is good, call!"

...so I do. I ask if he wants to run once or twice, he says it's up to me... and I always go twice.

First board T-X no flush
Second board Q-Q no flush

He tells me I'm good and rolls over pocket jacks.

He heads for the door, and the table breaks. I'm the last in the feeder game and there isn't a seat for me. Instead of sitting on a wait list at 1am at a table I didn't really want to play at, I decided to do the sickest hit-and-run I've ever done and end the session after 4 hands.

We live to fight another day...

Time played: approximately 6 minutes and 48 seconds

Total Time Played for August/September: 42 Hours

Result: $450 (sick hourly bro!)

Total Win/Loss for August/September: -$1,370

New Bankroll: $8,630

New day, new update

Another winning session, delivered Hangar-Style

Go on a card rush and triple up in the first 2 hours, then spend the next 4 hours folding nearly every hand.

Only one hand that is really notable for the night.

I'm on the button straddle with A7c.

SB makes it 20, bunch of callers, I call to complete the action.

Flop comes Q-7-7 two spades.

SB bets 80, one calls, one goes all-in for less. I reraise all-in for maybe 500 more effective. SB tank-calls, and the LP caller overcalls for a little more than the amount of the $80 call.

We all agree to run it twice. One run is clean, the other run binks a spade.

SB mucks giving me the sizable side pot to myself.

Over-caller has J5s for a flush, we chop.

Short allin shows QTo for top pair and gets scooped.

I end up with around $1,500 or so after I finish stacking and coloring up.

After that, it's pretty much 4 hours of folding....

Good session over all, I stayed patient and waited for the right spots. I made some disciplined folds and stopped calling off on the river with questionable hands which I thought was a leak of mine previously. We're one winning session away from being in the black for the month!

Time played: 6 hours

Total Time Played for August/September: 48 Hours

Result: $925

Total Win/Loss for August/September: -$445

New Bankroll: $9,555

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom