The Hand that Broke Up My Table (1 Viewer)

power13

Two Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
I played this one in Vegas about a month ago.

We're 5-handed at a 1/2 table. I had been moved over here about 3 hours ago when my original table broke. We had been playing with a number of huge fish that the group had managed to stack a few times so most of us remaining are pretty deep. It's about 2am, nobody is drinking and almost everyone who is left are good players by 1/2 standards. For a little more color on the players left:

UTG (~$600): Hero . I'm playing my normal style for 1/2 which is to play pretty straightforward and try to extract maximum value from fish. I've shown down only strong hands. The only memorable hand from earlier at the table was when I had double-barrel shoved all-in on the turn with JhJd on a K93T 2 heart board and got called by KTo but binked a Q on the river.
CO ($200): 50s white guy, in my view the most "standard" 1/2 player and the weakest at the table. Haven't seen him 3-bet or be particularly aggressive during the session, and he's played pretty fit-or-fold post-flop in my limited observation.
BU (~$800): 40s asian guy with longer hair. He's been very tight and has played a little tricky with big hands during the session. He's not been a factor in many hands but he's been dealt a lot of good hands tonight so he's been in more pots than I think he would be in during a more normal session. Playing video games on his phone when not in the hand.
SB (~$600): Late 20s college-boy looking guy. I read him as a good player. He played very well vs the fish, getting most of his stack from them. He's played pretty aggressively, but I can tell he's very observant and adjusting his play to his opponent -- I've seen him bet big hands for value at different sizes, go for thin value, and lay down what appeared to be strong hands that were probably beat. We are sitting at the opposite end of the table with good line of sight, and had been telepathically communicating about some of the crazy play we've seen by the fish and others throughout the night (ie that look that says "OMG I can't believe that just happened, isn't this table amazing?")
BB (~$500): 40s eastern european guy. He seems to be a good player that I bet probably spends most of his time at 2/5. He definitely thinks he is the best player at the table, and maybe in the world. He has had an opinion on lots of play (though he smartly wasn't criticizing any of the fish) and how he has great reads on everyone. A few hands ago, he correctly laid down a boat to the asian guy who had a bigger boat and had played it a little slow. He's been aggressive pre- and post-flop, though isn't a maniac. He is capable of 3-betting more than just QQ+/AK again isn't a crazy man.

OK so that's the context going into this hand, hero is UTG and picks up :kd::qd:. Action?

Open to $10. If raised I’m more likely to 4 bet or fold than call depending on who raises. I don’t want to play a top pair good kicker hand out of position in a bloated pot against a bunch of good players.

Love the context. Will make the hand much easier to follow. Not sure what the standard raise has been at this table, but I’d go for that. Prepared to call a raise and probably fold to a 3 bet.

With how deep the stacks are this game should play more like a $2/5 than a $1/2. So bet sizes need to be bigger to discourage players from calling with any two cards knowing they can make a lot more from the implied odds if they make 2 pair or better.

OK this part isn't too deep, but interesting to see the different sizings proposed. My standard at 1/2 is to go larger, and I try to use consistent sizing through the whole session. At this table I have been opening to $12, and sizing up from there to account for limpers. So I open to $12. CO calls, SB calls, everybody else folds. There is $35 or $36 in the pot after rake, and the flop is :8d::6d::2c:. SB checks. Hero?

I think I would check/call here. Your hand kind of suffers from reverse implies odds since you’re not drawing to the nuts so I wouldn’t want to be playing for a big pot. I also think you’re not folding out any better hands and chances are at least one of your opponents is calling your cbet. I would be hoping to see a free card here.

You have minimal fold equity on this board. They have sets, two pair, straight draws, diamond draws (although you block some of those obviously). You would fold out broadway cards without a diamond but that's about it. I would check/call unless it goes bet-raise.

Hard to size the bet here without knowing what your standard bet is in spots like that, but I’d tend to go a little smaller in this spot. Something like $15 sounds about right to me. Don’t mind the $20 though. Too much more and I think it’s a bit heavy handed.

Pretty wide range of opinions here, from check to bet around 3/4 pot. I tend to c-bet a bit less frequently in multi-way pots, but this is a c-bet for me. I am not up against a lot of big pairs here, and a lot of hands will give up to a bet now or on a later street when I miss. Also, I can improve to a big hand so building a pot isn't so bad. I bet $20, CO folds, SB calls. The turn is :4d:. Pot is now about $75, SB checks. Hero?

I'm usually betting like 45ish. Every once in a while I would check behind for deception and hope another diamond doesnt hit the river.

I like around $45 here. Lots of hands can call u for value. If raises, it’s hard to put Villain on anything but the nut flush or Ad. But still, I think I call a raise. I don’t think I’ll get a a away from this hand. Unfortunately I guess. Unless I call a turn raise and another d hits and Villain bets big.

If we were full ring and went 4 ways to the turn, I'd be cautious of hitting a diamond. But 5 handed, we've made the effective nuts here. If your opponent has made the ace high flush or by some unreal chance the straight flush, that's the way it goes. If you start thinking you're beat when you make your draws, then move down in stakes where if you get coolered it doesn't hurt so much.

That said, lead for $45 - $65 and if you get checkraised, let loose the dogs of war and shove on him.

College boy checks to us with straightforward guy after us. I am going to check and see what straightforward guy does, and I am okay if everybody gets a free card. Hopefully the turn is Ad and we have it easy. If straightforward guy bets then I will get info about him AND college boy without paying money.

I like a bigger sized bet here, full pot or so.

You have already shown you can bluff when your preflop big hand falls behind. This is a great chance to make it look like you have another big PP that is now behind any flush, or if someone want to try to represent that they were on a flush draw here. I have often called in a spot like this with an open ended straight draw but then raise or bet into the preflop/flop better when the flush comes in with great success. If all these guys are decent thinking players and remember how you played those Jacks this could get juicy!

Late to the party but good with everything hero has done so far.

I think you bet this card for value. If you are against the nuts you are going broke, but usually you won't be. College kid may have floats with :ad: or maybe has an overpair that he won't fold to a three flush board. I just feel like checking the turn leaves too much value on the table.

But the trouble with betting here is the list of callable hands isn't any longer than what I listed, I would bet and expect to just pick the pot up a lot, if called play a fourth diamond on the river carefully.

OK it not the nuts but my plan on the flop was to bet any diamond or card over a 10 on the turn so yatzee! I like a larger size here to charge any :ad: that got here and hopefully a bunch of made hands that would call this bet. So I bet $50. SB calls.

To recap the action, hero has :kd::qd:
Board is :8d::6d::2c::4d:
Pot is ~$175, hero and villain both have ~$520

River is :7d:

SB checks.

Hero?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom