The CPC "speed bump" - a bit out of hand these days (2 Viewers)

If it's an issue for you, as a customer, then by all means you should reach out and express it to the vendor. I can understand you want to get community input to see if your complaint is valid I guess? But the feelings of others don't really matter in this case. It's your money and your purchase, and you seem unhappy with the defect so approach the vendor and give them an opportunity to address your concern.
If you read through the thread and the various times I've repeated this - this isn't about my chips. I've had them in play for quite some time now and thrilled to have had the chance to add on.

What am I supposed to say to CPC directly? Hey guy - I don't like some of the pictures I've seen of your product on the internet, stop doing that :confused

I appreciate the discussion so far - being made aware of this product condition, how often it seems to be occurring, and whether in any circumstances the extras included did not outnumber the chips with a “bump”.

Unless after talking via PM @Venturalvn or CPC created a new thread about it themselves (not sure why either would), I and other potential CPC buyers, likely wouldn’t be aware of it until after getting our orders in hand. Maybe it can be argued guessing at the cause is “pointless” but the discussion itself is not.

If you read through the thread and the various times I've repeated this - this isn't about my chips. I've had them in play for quite some time now and thrilled to have had the chance to add on.

What am I supposed to say to CPC directly? Hey guy - I don't like some of the pictures I've seen of your product on the internet, stop doing that :confused

include the pictures you shared with us, mention you noticed this seemed to be cropping up in more recent batches and you were wondering if that's a normal occurrence or if there may be something they can do to correct it from happening. Let them know you love your chips but you're concerned about future purchases having that abnormality.

This thread has only just been drawn to my attention (and not by any one of the posters showing their chips).
Firstly I have to point out that at no time ever since we opened has any customer contacted me about this.

I'll try and explain why it can happen, and I've asked the factory manager to conduct some tests for me tomorrow which I will report back on.

The chip edges are finished with a grinder, not a lathe. It is a 'centerless' grinder comprising two large wheels slowly moved towards each other with the chips inbetween. Occasionally, for whatever reason (tiny foreign object getting lodged between etc.) a wheel can get damaged or worn in one place or other. This may affect the odd chip and I'll explain below why this isn't always noticeable in QC. We ourselves became aware there was some wear around a month ago and simply avoided that part of the wheel until it comes to a point where the wheels have to be 'dressed' (ie ground against each other very carefully!! to remove any blemishes). We were only aware of an occasional chip with such an issue, and thought the extras provided would cover any we had missed.

This grinding is done at ultra high speed and chips will flex by a few thou here and there during it as they get hot also, hence very occasional issues will arise and may miss QC.
The chips are inspected pretty much as soon as they are ground and shipped pretty much straight away. Once they are ground there is no 'going back' so to speak and we don't want them standing around in the factory for any period of time where they may be subject to extremes of temperature hence as stated we grind, inspect, ship in short order.

That does not mean the QC process is not thorough or is flawed. One thing most people will be aware of from looking at any of our chips is that the center point of the edge of any chip is invariably a fraction darker when the chips are delivered. You've seen pics in this thread showing how the chips look when they come out of the mold so it's understandable there is more to be ground off from the center than the edges. Consequently they get a bit hotter at that point. Playing, shuffling, handling the chips gets rid of that 'center line' pretty quickly.

What I see in the pics I have looked at is that these 'speed bumps' are far more noticeable when chips have been oiled. In fact looking at pics here of stacks it seems that many of the flaws are just the oiling making that darker center line more prominent and are not actually raised points at all. Again that will disappear with a bit of use, so I'd suggest that the majority of those posting who have not noticed anything amiss have either used the chips enough that nothing has noticeable, or they didn't oil them. This explains why the issue has not been picked up during QC.

If anyone has a major issue with a large part of their set then theoretically they could be re-ground just a fraction but I find it strange that this has never been mentioned before by anyone. More than an occasional flaw is not deemed acceptable and obviously could have been rectified if pointed out and proven at the time.

As I said, I've asked for a couple of tests to be done and photos sent to me tomorrow and then I will report back again.

This thread has only just been drawn to my attention (and not by any one of the posters showing their chips).
Firstly I have to point out that at no time ever since we opened has any customer contacted me about this.

Amazing what happens when someone is alerted to & knows that a problem exists. :unsure:

I just went through all my chips again. The only thing I can find is a slightly darker streak on some chips but no raised or embossed center line like on some of the chips you've shown.

In respect to this, and I say this with the utmost respect; if the above is true and your set is okay I would have preferred you reached out to me before using the photos I posted of my chips. It sends a message that I too, have an issue with them. Which I don't. And to be fair the lighting in my photos makes them look worse than they are. To show what I meant will post some pics of what I mean in a bit.
But for the record: To me, the chips are perfect. The defect isn't a defect and is negligible.

Steve.

Is it jus me or does the edges look rigid... like mini flea bites why are they not perfect?
I think this is a product of the textured molds at CPC. Since the texture runs all the way to the edge, the edge itself is not perfectly flat. I think it's much more noticeable in pictures than it is when handling the chips in person.

I think this is a product of the textured molds at CPC. Since the texture runs all the way to the edge, the edge itself is not perfectly flat. I think it's much more noticeable in pictures than it is when handling the chips in person.
Is it not possible to get that smooth finish like paulson does?

I just went through all my chips again. The only thing I can find is a slightly darker streak on some chips but no raised or embossed center line like on some of the chips you've shown.

In respect to this, and I say this with the utmost respect; if the above is true and your set is okay I would have preferred you reached out to me before using the photos I posted of my chips. It sends a message that I too, have an issue with them. Which I don't. And to be fair the lighting in my photos makes them look worse than they are. To show what I meant will post some pics of what I mean in a bit.
But for the record: To me, the chips are perfect. The defect isn't a defect and is negligible.

Steve.
Absolutely understood Steve. If you'd like I can take them down. I do think it's a good resource for the community, though, to have examples of the pictures posted and for owners to say exactly that - to me it either is or isn't defect.

Last edited:

I'll try and explain why it can happen, and I've asked the factory manager to conduct some tests for me tomorrow which I will report back on.

The chip edges are finished with a grinder, not a lathe. It is a 'centerless' grinder comprising two large wheels slowly moved towards each other with the chips inbetween. Occasionally, for whatever reason (tiny foreign object getting lodged between etc.) a wheel can get damaged or worn in one place or other. This may affect the odd chip and I'll explain below why this isn't always noticeable in QC. We ourselves became aware there was some wear around a month ago and simply avoided that part of the wheel until it comes to a point where the wheels have to be 'dressed' (ie ground against each other very carefully!! to remove any blemishes). We were only aware of an occasional chip with such an issue, and thought the extras provided would cover any we had missed.

This grinding is done at ultra high speed and chips will flex by a few thou here and there during it as they get hot also, hence very occasional issues will arise and may miss QC.
The chips are inspected pretty much as soon as they are ground and shipped pretty much straight away. Once they are ground there is no 'going back' so to speak and we don't want them standing around in the factory for any period of time where they may be subject to extremes of temperature hence as stated we grind, inspect, ship in short order.

That does not mean the QC process is not thorough or is flawed. One thing most people will be aware of from looking at any of our chips is that the center point of the edge of any chip is invariably a fraction darker when the chips are delivered. You've seen pics in this thread showing how the chips look when they come out of the mold so it's understandable there is more to be ground off from the center than the edges. Consequently they get a bit hotter at that point. Playing, shuffling, handling the chips gets rid of that 'center line' pretty quickly.

What I see in the pics I have looked at is that these 'speed bumps' are far more noticeable when chips have been oiled. In fact looking at pics here of stacks it seems that many of the flaws are just the oiling making that darker center line more prominent and are not actually raised points at all. Again that will disappear with a bit of use, so I'd suggest that the majority of those posting who have not noticed anything amiss have either used the chips enough that nothing has noticeable, or they didn't oil them. This explains why the issue has not been picked up during QC.

If anyone has a major issue with a large part of their set then theoretically they could be re-ground just a fraction but I find it strange that this has never been mentioned before by anyone. More than an occasional flaw is not deemed acceptable and obviously could have been rectified if pointed out and proven at the time.

As I said, I've asked for a couple of tests to be done and photos sent to me tomorrow and then I will report back again.
Thanks for the thoughtful and insightful response, David!

So it sounds like one of the main takeaways here is that this is likely a small effect on delivery, and should disappear over time with regular play.

I think your entire input in this thread is an amazing resource to the community. Because so much of the process is managed behind closed doors, and because most of what we members have is pictures on the internet from thousands of miles away from the actual product, your words are invaluable!

Absolutely understood Steve. If you'd like I can take them down. I do think it's a good resource for the community, though, to have examples of the pictures posted and for owners to say exactly that - to me it either is or isn't defect.
Not to be a hardass or anything but I think I would appreciate that. For the single reason that they aren't a good example of your issue. And again, I say this because the lighting and color really does accentuate the bump.

Thanks man, and no hard feelings. I'm not angry or anything. Just concerned that quality issues should always be taken to the vendor first.

Steve.

Ditto.

I'm not saying that I'm owed anything or giving a negative review to a product I've received.

Sorry, dude, but with upmost respect, you speaketh with forked tongue:

I can't stand seeing otherwise great sets being blemished by this new-ish CPC "speed bump".
I can't help but feel that after 50+ years of never having been around, this is a fixable issue.
We're starting to see this problem show up at an incredible rate in the sets that have been coming out
I just can't accept it as the new way of making a clay chip.
having more than a couple of these "speed bumps" in a delivered batch I just find to be a defect.
it's become such a common sight in what would otherwise be flawless sets.
To me, this is not an acceptable relic of "handmade clay chips", but rather a new defect that's being passed off and accepted by the customer.
it's just not something I'm willing to accept.
it's one of the most glaring things about new CPCs that is a deal breaker for me.

And given that your latest set add-on has a significant number of chips with this condition, it certainly seems like you are not happy. Unless you are only unhappy if this condition exists in other sets, but not yours..... :rolleyes:

I'm just glad @David Spragg was finally involved in the discussion (which should have happened initially).

I think all of those quotes show exactly my own point. It's appearing in every picture posted here. Furthermore, its been quite some time since my last add on and they have been in play for a while...

The point of raising the awareness here is because what was once never there, and then began to creep in a little (my set included) is now prevalent across the board in all pictures of new sets being posted.

One of the rare times I agree with @BGinGA. He's dead on.
His information is almost always accurate, the delivery is usually...blunt

Not unlike this guy
7D09C11B-DA88-4E58-A2B3-E14ED226130B.jpeg

I hope this helps visualize what I was saying. Because at first glance I can see why someone would be concerned....but it really isn't an issue. At all.

8th chip from the bottom.
View attachment 280638
View attachment 280639
View attachment 280640

Good chip:
View attachment 280641

Bad chip:
View attachment 280642

All in all, a difference of .005" which is like a pubic hair...(I didn't actually measure:p)
View attachment 280643

That is a beautiful chip! I really like how the 4 V with a 1” looks on the face. So cool.

Sounds like this is pretty much resolved now.

One small remaining question might: Are the “innies” (inset grooves, as opposed than bumps) the result of the same process—maybe some grit or flaw in the grinders that then wears a tiny trough into the edge? The discussion seems to be more focused on the bumps than the grooves.

The pics of “innies” all appear to have the groove centered on the rolling edge; so maybe that is from the molding/pressing process rather than the grinding?

I believe I've read all the posts but was this a "real" issue? Meaning can you actually FEEL the "bump" on the chip or was this more of an optical illusion with extreme closeups of chip stacks?

Is it possible chip pr0n is bad? o_O

I believe I've read all the posts but was this a "real" issue? Meaning can you actually FEEL the "bump" on the chip or was this more of an optical illusion with extreme closeups of chip stacks?

Is it possible chip pr0n is bad? o_O
On my account? Piss-poor lighting and a rubbish camera. And imo, the bulge is negligible. You cannot feel it. Again, it presents a difference of .005"

Interesting. Are the materials and equipment used known? Could it be replicated with enough money?

They are capable of producing 40x as many chips as us but it takes 20x the amount of equipment and 70x the number of employees.
When you are based in Mexico and your man hour costs are 1/12 of ours you can do it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom