The CPC "speed bump" - a bit out of hand these days (1 Viewer)

Venturalvn

Full House
Reaction score
Edit: not bashing! Trying to find out why

I can't help it anymore but I can't stand seeing otherwise great sets being blemished by this new-ish CPC "speed bump". I can't help but feel that after 50+ years of never having been around, this is a fixable issue. We're starting to see this problem show up at an incredible rate in the sets that have been coming out, and at an average of $2+ a chip, I just can't accept it as the new way of making a clay chip. Something has fundamentally changed either in the manufacturing process or in the QA procedures.

Edgespot shapes I can handle, the random error inlay I can handle, but having more than a couple of these "speed bumps" in a delivered batch I just find to be a defect. What has changed? Are the chips not being pressed all the way? Are the barrels not being buffed out properly? Are certain molds becoming worn out? FWIW, I feel like we see this less in the A-molds and CircleSquare that have come out.

Excuse my ignorance in the chip making process, but I just can't fathom how this would all of a sudden become an issue over the last couple years, and why it's become such a common sight in what would otherwise be flawless sets. To me, this is not an acceptable relic of "handmade clay chips", but rather a new defect that's being passed off and accepted by the customer. At these prices, it's just not something I'm willing to accept.

20190423_230631.jpg

20190423_230649.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I've had annual chip orders from CPC since 2015 and have never experienced any of this.
I’ve been awol a lot lately but I’ve also never seen it before. Have there been other custom sets come out like this?

I definitely had some in my original motswari order, but not a large amount.
I dug this photo out of my phone and you can see a few instances of it, though only minor.
Screenshot_20190424_142352.jpg

I don't recall seeing any in my recent add-on of about 240 chips.

Fwiw, personally they don't bother me much and I love my set, though I understand why you'd feel that way.

Last edited:
I’ve also had several sets made in the last 4 years and haven’t come across that issue.

You'll have to forgive me, as I'm trying to be sensitive of those who up to today are receiving their sets and the last thing I want to do is detract from their excitement, but more examples posted today and in the last couple weeks

<removed>

<removed>

<removed>

<removed>

<removed>

Last edited:
Funnily enough @Venturalvn, since you and I have talked about the issue before, when I saw the pron that led to you starting this thread, I immediately thought of you lol.

Funnily enough @Venturalvn, since you and I have talked about the issue before, when I saw the pron that led to you starting this thread, I immediately thought of you lol.
In that case you can see that in every single color and every denim and every barrel in that set, there are multiple instances of this. And at that point, it's time to start asking the question.

Is it jus me or does the edges look rigid... like mini flea bites why are they not perfect?
This is true as well, but in fairness that is due to the texture of the faces of the chips. With regular play that does go away as well, and honestly that's a part of the product I would never consider to be a defect.

Looks like I just hadn't noticed it before.
This is why I'm trying to tread carefully. I know to some it's something ignored, but I can't imagine why it's new, and it's one of the most glaring things about new CPCs that is a deal breaker for me.

Any idea why it’s like that ?
No and I'm hoping someone with insight into the process can chime in. I would love to know whats changed in the past couple years to introduce this, and if there's a certain mold or color combination that can be used to circumvent it.

Most the examples posted imo are well within the realm of what is to be expected. The two photos in OP though do look a lot more than I would expect though.

Still wondering what cpc said to you when you contacted them regarding this? Or are you just flaming them without asking them about your concerns.

Just guessing here, but I would think the speed bump is always there when the chips are being made then they are cleaned up at the end of the process, on some sort of lathe?

Most the examples posted imo are well within the realm of what is to be expected. The two photos in OP though do look a lot more than I would expect though.

Still wondering what cpc said to you when you contacted them regarding this? Or are you just flaming them without asking them about your concerns.
Not flaming them at all, nor have I specifically e-mailed them about it. I'm simply commenting on and starting a discussion about an issue that's present in all pictures starting in 2018 that affects the community at large.

The 2 stack pictures in the OP are my last add on and I have no issues posting them. The rest of the pics in this thread are very obvious at full size, however I'm being as selective and nitpicky as possible with the zoom/crop to avoid hurting the owners' feelings or alluding to the fact that I don't enjoy the sets, even with what I claim to be a flaw.

Just guessing here, but I would think the speed bump is always there when the chips are being made then they are cleaned up at the end of the process, on some sort of lathe?
This is one of my outstanding theories - the lathe! That would beg the question then, is it a QC issue?

Not flaming them at all, nor have I specifically e-mailed them about it. I'm simply commenting on and starting a discussion about an issue that's present in all pictures starting in 2018 that affects the community at large.

The 2 stack pictures in the OP are my last add on and I have no issues posting them. The rest of the pics in this thread are very obvious at full size, however I'm being as selective and nitpicky as possible with the zoom/crop to avoid hurting the owners' feelings or alluding to the fact that I don't enjoy the sets, even with what I claim to be a flaw.

I'll have to disagree. If you've noticed this and have never contacted CPC, then you have never given them a chance to respond and correct the situation. They may not be aware. It also could be an easy fix and could have saved others from the potential issue.

You did choose to start this thread with a huge community of potential customers first and at best it isn't very fair to CPC.

Last edited:
I'll have to disagree. If you've noticed this and have never contacted CPC, then you have never given them a chance to respond and correct the situation. They may not be aware.

You did choose to start this thread with a huge community of potential customers first and at best it isn't very fair to CPC.
Then we'll disagree. I'm commenting on pictures of a new tick in a product that are being posted repeatedly since 2018 and am trying to learn from and have a conversation with a community that has far more knowledge than me.

It's not like I received a product I'm unhappy with and am blasting them until I get a refund. Quite to the contrary, my ASM and supplemental CPC add on (complete with speed bump) are one of my most prized possessions. However, when they show up in every set posted in the last 6 months to a year, I didn't think there would be anything wrong with starting a conversation.

Last edited:
I’ve seen these “bumps” in older sets than 2018 but I’m not going to go looking for them. Sometimes it can even be an illusion from discolouration of clay from the lathe or something similar.

That said I agree with the pics in op being more than acceptable imo. Mainly 6&7 in the yellow stack and 4 in the blue.

If you believe it is an issue you need to take it up with cpc and give them a chance to do right by you. Otherwise you are just flaming a fire that you started.

Those inconsistencies would certainly be a deal breaker for me given the cost of CPCs. That said, I would certainly recommend getting in contact with CPC as a first step in finding a satisfactory resolution to this issue. Would be interesting in the end to know if this is simply a QC issue, or something else.

To those who have had this issue with their own chips, which mold was it? Is this an issue that only affects a certain mold, or rather all of them?

I have to say that in person I didn't see or feel these bumps. From pictures only the HHR set seem to have this bump.

I've ordered 8 different CPC sets with multiple addons since 2016 and have had only one issue that was corrected within a couple of weeks. Tomorrow will make number 9.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom