The Cardinal Club - Louisville, KY (1 Viewer)

TonZaga

Straight
Reaction score
Now would be as good of a time as any to go ahead and start the thread for my local poker club here in Louisville, KY. Just wanted to give myself and those attending a place to reminisce as well as for those not involved an opportunity to see how we host our games, laugh at our bad jokes and bad beats, offer suggestions, draw inspirations, ask questions, etc. I started poker in the Moneymaker boom when I wasn't even old enough to legally gamble. I never thought coming from playing those little $5-10 social tournaments with cheap dice chips about 2 decades ago would have lead me to starting this club but here we are! I've been able to keep relationships with old friends while building new ones. Enough about me, let's take a journey through the life of The Cardinal Club.

CardinaClubPokerTitle-min.png

It all began on a cheap eBay folding poker table that could barely fit 8 comfortably back in 2018. When that inevitably broke, I was also getting into board gaming pretty heavily so I built myself a raised rail gaming table equipped with black SSC that would double as our new poker table.

EarlyGameTable.jpg

GameTableSSC.jpg

The gaming table worked fine as a poker table (until I decided that I wanted a pool table and the card table could double as the gaming table if need be) but everything changed when I caught wind of this Barrington 10 person folding table. I liked the fact that I could fold it up/store it when not using it to save space. Lucky for me, I was able to pick one up when they were still ~$150 shipped on Amazon. Not long after, I happened to stumble on this forum and into the Barrington mods thread (HERE). And I guess you can say "the rest was history". Out with the stock blue felt and in with the new black SS cloth, deeper cup holders, and USB chargers to elevate the home game experience.

*First poker game in the new house*
StockBarrington.jpg

*OLD - Board gaming section in a finished basement vs. NEW - Pool table*
FinishedGamingSide.jpg

PoolTableNow.jpg

*Poker table getting fitted with speed cloth and USB chargers*
FinishedPokerSide.jpg

With the new Barrington table, we were still unfortunately using the dice chips until my buddy had decided that he would purchase some Majestics for his small home games and let us use them until we could upgrade. It wasn't until Apache came along with the Royal blanks (HERE) that we decided it was time! I was able to design, print, laminate, cut, and apply my labels in-house.

*28 labels per sheet - hours of printing, laminating, cutting, applying over a few days*
LabelingDay.jpg

*Final cash game chip mockup*
RoyalChipsInPlay-min.png

*Chips finally in play*
ChipstackDec322.jpg

We've since added a cabinet from FB marketplace to store all the chips, cards, cashbox, etc. and even modified it with motion LED lights on top and bottom, casters to be able to roll it around and hopefully soon, a flush mounted shuffler.
CabinetCashbox-min.jpg

*Official cut cards* from group buy organized by @Eloe2000
Cutcards-min.jpg

*Seating and show chips*
We used to just allow anyone to choose their seat when they arrive but have since changed to me drawing my seat first, then everyone that shows up draws/sits according to my seat number (because I sit near the middle of the table). We've also added a special show chip (per buy-in/rebuy) that forces a mucked hand to show.
Seatingchip-min.jpg
Showchip-min.jpg

The coveted, most sought-after workhorse in the game - the hot dog roller for those hungry donkeys/sharks
RollerDogsAug22-min.jpg

The most recent addition is a custom table topper for the Barrington. Design and purchase through @rjdev7
TableTopper.jpg

Future plans are to purchase/mount Shuffle tech in the rolling cabinet as well as build/purchase a nice, full-size permanent poker table and use the Barrington as a second table (when needed). Stay tuned for more updates and poker action!!

Last edited:
I was fortunate enough to have the Invite tracker in the resources section for a long time (up until carrier blocks/problems). Everyone was rather responsive and it made my life so much easier. I've since purchased a domain and created a website for the club which includes a similar invite tracker/dashboard, interactive calendar, photo gallery, merch (all proceeds go back into the game), profile page where members can change their status for the upcoming game once logged in, and some cool poker tools.

If you'd like to check out some of the poker tools that I came up with (first dealer, building sets, payouts/deals calculator), check us out at https://cardinalclubpoker.com.
*All other features only available to registered members*

Last edited:
I love seeing these threads about how different members started their games. Great setup that you have. Where did you go to get the custom cut cards?

You've come a long way, looks great! Hopefully timing works out where I can come meet up with you guys.

I also enjoy seeing how other groups run their home games. Do you guys play mostly cash games or tournaments or a mix of both? We started a league this past year and do mostly tournaments with cash games mixed in every now and then.

I also enjoy seeing how other groups run their home games. Do you guys play mostly cash games or tournaments or a mix of both? We started a league this past year and do mostly tournaments with cash games mixed in every now and then.
Strictly cash right now. I have the chips to run 5c/10c up to 25c/50c. I want to expand to be able to run $1/2 and then add a tournament set as well

I like it. How long have you been writing that up? I ask, because I know you could put another different set to tomorrow and I'd probably like that one too. I've played around with that chip design tool and I can spend (waste) a lot of time on there and not be any closer to a set that I want to be married to. But, everything I make I could easily be happy with. Doesn't make sense to me. I guess I just want them all.

I like it. How long have you been writing that up? I ask, because I know you could put another different set to tomorrow and I'd probably like that one too. I've played around with that chip design tool and I can spend (waste) a lot of time on there and not be any closer to a set that I want to be married to. But, everything I make I could easily be happy with. Doesn't make sense to me. I guess I just want them all.
I'm sure I could spend all day/night in that tool but I'll never feel good enough to pull the trigger with the price tags that I come up with. LOL

For anyone using the first dealer tool on our website, I've updated a better visual (mock poker table). ENJOY!

1676489673229.png

1676489680357.png

Chips would be about $452 shipped to my door but the good news is I'll be able to print the labels myself.
thats not horrible. Im about to pick up my first started set for home use. Our neighborhood tourney uses some CPCs that one of the guys generously funded, but I need a set to call my own and let the kiddos do some "math practice"...thats the justification I gave my wife at least ;) ill probably just snag some outlaws or spartans from discount poker for my limited home use but ive been tempted by the china clays from apache

thats not horrible. Im about to pick up my first started set for home use. Our neighborhood tourney uses some CPCs that one of the guys generously funded, but I need a set to call my own and let the kiddos do some "math practice"...thats the justification I gave my wife at least ;) ill probably just snag some outlaws or spartans from discount poker for my limited home use but ive been tempted by the china clays from apache
I've looked at custom CPCs for tournament but too rich for my blood. I love my Royals from Apache for our cash games.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom