Teaching resources for an office tourny (1 Viewer)

indy18

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Have a charity poker night at the office.

Will be running a no limit Texas holdem Tournament (T25 - 15k or 20k stacks).

Have gotten feedback from multiple people that they would play but don't know how to play.

So, what's your favorite resource for teaching No limit holdem to a bunch of office dwellers? Quick YouTube video would be ideal.

Have a charity poker night at the office.

Will be running a no limit Texas holdem Tournament (T25 - 15k or 20k stacks).

Have gotten feedback from multiple people that they would play but don't know how to play.

So, what's your favorite resource for teaching No limit holdem to a bunch of office dwellers? Quick YouTube video would be ideal.
Newbies love hand ranking cards, even if they don't know what to do with them. Definitely hand out some of those.

If you're trying to share an instructional YouTube video, I'd make sure it's less than 5 minutes to keep everyone's attention. Try to find an infographic that people can look at to represent the rules and stages of the game. There's nothing better than actually giving people a sample chance to play, it's the surest way to actually absorb the rules. Just one or two players per table who know the rules can spread the knowledge much more effectively, so it helps if you can have some 'ambassadors'.

Yeah think thepokerstore or discountpokerstore has little cards that have the hand rankings. Just a little exyta touch that I put out every beginner's game so I dont have 6 people with their phones out googling it.

Yeah think thepokerstore or discountpokerstore has little cards that have the hand rankings.
https://www.thepokerstore.com/collections/strategy-cards/products/copy-of-blackjack-strategy-card

I have those cards and they are convenient, but heads up that they are bridge sized cards...so possibility they could accidentally get swept up into the deck. You could just print a few hand ranking tables out instead of buying the cards.

For newbies, I send them these two links. I ask them to review the hand rankings and watch the video a couple times. Then I offer a "primer" before the game (usually an hour before) where I teach the rules and we play a few hands. But in your case, I might try to schedule something a couple days before and then the day of.
https://worldpokerfederation.org/poker/how-to-play-poker/poker-hand-rankings/

I have not run multiple tables yet, but I would find someone(s) in your office that already understand poker and get them to help you. Make them table captain(s) if you have multiple tables with power to make decisions to keep the table moving or settle disputes or flag you when/if something really goes wrong.

Play three handed holdem with them. Give them six cards and let them form three holdem hands that they can’t rearrange once they are set.
Then they have to discard one after the betting in the flop, then the same in the turn, leaving them with one hand left for the river. Gives them a perspective of choices, pairs, suited connectors, and just trash. There’s a game card for it in Abby’s games.
I think this is one of the best teaching tools for holdem.

Y'all are awesome!

Love getting insight from so many that have done it before!

So my working plan is to share that YouTube video ahead of time. Then run some small learning sessions at lunch a couple times. I love the 6 card idea, I'll do that and have chips for them to move around.

Reference cards for everyone and a designated 'captain' if we have to break into 2 tables.

When using a hands-on approach for actually playing to teach, my personal favorite is to get 3-4 new folks to sit down with me, and we play normally...

with all cards face up for the first 10-20 minutes, with the only thing on the river is asking them which is the winning hand. Then we go face down. I will admit that if there are only 3 players total including myself, blinds get a little bit trickier to learn. (In my experience). Seems to help if there are at least 2-3 folks not paying a blind.

Doing it face-up not only helps them with rules, but ingrains some important fundamentals. I like to ask questions like [pre-flop] "Who has the best hand?" [flop] "Now who has the best hand?" [turn] "Now who has the best hand?" etc.

Good luck - too bad I didn't work in your office or I'd volunteer to help.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom