Tales from the Hitching Post (2 Viewers)

Out in fourth. Flopped straight crushed by quads on the river.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1464497522.760694.jpg

How do you intend to fix the hole? Patch? Full-table overlay? Pics of the "repair" are required.
Won't know for sure until we have everything disassembled, but I suspect a patch filler piece will be added to the existing table-top insert, then covered with new playing surface foam and the ChanMan cloth. Gonna try to rotate the insert 180 degrees so that the patched area is sitting on the base wood (for extra support). If not, then will have to resort to a plug brace, but it doesn't appear that there is a whole lot of overlap room underneath to mount it (maybe 3/4"-1" all around the shuffler rectangle). May have to cut out a larger opening, just to be able to properly brace it.

Had to remove the entire table top from the legs to get to a half-dozen hidden screws holding down the insert (also required to get access to the power supply unit for the shuffler, which lived in one of the table legs). Other than that, pretty straight-forward removal of shuffler/bracket/frame and the playing surface insert.

Turns out the insert fits perfectly if rotated 180 degrees, and it is fully supported by the sub-table surface -- so no additional bracing will be needed. The patched hole in the insert will be supported underneath by the sub-table surface, and the 1/2" MDF insert is strong enough that spanning the 7" x 9" hole in the sub-table won't require any additional support.

Next up are removal of eleventy-gazillion staples remaining from two different playing cloth installations, a task I cleverly left in Tom's capable hands. :sneaky: Getting down to bare wood will allow the insert to sit totally flush with the racetrack surface again (two layers of cloth/staples had raised the playing surface slightly in a few places).

I plan to cut out a traced hole-sized plug out of 1/2" MDF, which will be glued into place with wood filler added to create a smooth flat surface. The playing surface foam looks to be 1/4" fabric-backed open-cell 60lb compression set high density foam from YAT (see below), so we may be able to just patch in a 8" x 10" square of 1/4" headliner foam....... otherwise we will just replace the entire piece of playing surface foam before adding the new Chanman custom Hitching Post gaming suede cloth.

yourautotrim-store_2269_22531467

Last edited:
Had to remove the entire table top from the legs to get to a half-dozen hidden screws holding down the insert (also required to get access to the power supply unit for the shuffler, which lived in one of the table legs). Other than that, pretty straight-forward removal of shuffler/bracket/frame and the playing surface insert.

Turns out the insert fits perfectly if rotated 180 degrees, and it is fully supported by the sub-table surface -- so no additional bracing will be needed. The patched hole in the insert will be supported underneath by the sub-table surface, and the 1/2" MDF insert is strong enough that spanning the 7" x 9" hole in the sub-table won't require any additional support.

Next up are removal of eleventy-gazillion staples remaining from two different playing cloth installations, a task I cleverly left in Tom's capable hands. :sneaky: Getting down to bare wood will allow the insert to sit totally flush with the racetrack surface again (two layers of cloth/staples had raised the playing surface slightly in a few places).

I plan to cut out a traced hole-sized plug out of 1/2" MDF, which will be glued into place with wood filler added to create a smooth flat surface. The playing surface foam looks to be 1/4" fabric-backed open-cell 60lb compression set medium density foam from YAT (see below), so we may be able to just patch in a 8" x 10" square of 1/4" headliner foam....... otherwise we will just replace the entire piece of playing surface foam before adding the new Chanman custom Hitching Post gaming suede cloth.

yourautotrim-store_2269_22531467

Wow, it takes two of me two of me just to change a light bulb.

I plan to cut out a traced hole-sized plug out of 1/2" MDF, which will be glued into place with wood filler added to create a smooth flat surface.

Just a suggestions since the hole in the table look like it was made with a router and has rounded corners. Square the hole up in the table and make the plug for that. Wood glue mixed with saw dust in any tiny cracks. Then a pass or two with a hand sander (or sand paper).

Something like this: FF to 16:15

Last edited:
Working with BGinGA to pull the Shuffletech out of the main table and fill in the hole.

Forgive me if this was mentioned but I searched the thread and forum and didn't see any results...how come you're pulling the Shuffletech....stopped working, tired of it, too loud?

I thought long and hard about putting one in my table but there were so many complaints from people that I decided against it. Then I saw you had one and thought I made a mistake and should've gotten it.

Forgive me if this was mentioned but I searched the thread and forum and didn't see any results...how come you're pulling the Shuffletech....stopped working, tired of it, too loud?

I thought long and hard about putting one in my table but there were so many complaints from people that I decided against it. Then I saw you had one and thought I made a mistake and should've gotten it.

The problems are related to how it is used in my game.

It being in the table means one person needs to be in charge of using it all night. Since my games are self shuffle that means one player has to be in charge of gathering the cards and using the shuffler all night long which isn't fair. Also it adds an extra obstacle in the table while people are dealing. Cards hit the side and flip or get caught in the trap if someone is trying to open the door while another person deals.

Next up are removal of eleventy-gazillion staples remaining from two different playing cloth installations, a task I cleverly left in Tom's capable hands. :sneaky:

I'll just take it out of your paycheck. [emoji41]

Just a suggestions since the hole in the table look like it was made with a router and has rounded corners. Square the hole up in the table and make the plug for that. Wood glue mixed with saw dust in any tiny cracks. Then a pass or two with a hand sander (or sand paper).
The hole in the sub-table will be left as-is --- we are only patching the hole in the insert. Maybe Tom can post a pic of the insert hole (also made with a router). I'd be more concerned with creating a tight-fitting plug if the insert wasn't fully supported underneath by the sub-table... lessening the need to make extra cuts to square up the hole.

It would take a little more time with a router, jig, and chisel but it would be supported by the table top. I'm sure it will work either way.

2016-06-05_20-35-49.jpg 2016-06-05_20-32-12.jpg 2016-06-05_20-28-31.jpg 2016-06-05_20-33-36.jpg

The problems are related to how it is used in my game.

It being in the table means one person needs to be in charge of using it all night. Since my games are self shuffle that means one player has to be in charge of gathering the cards and using the shuffler all night long which isn't fair. Also it adds an extra obstacle in the table while people are dealing. Cards hit the side and flip or get caught in the trap if someone is trying to open the door while another person deals.

When I move down there, I'll deal and shuffle on that table for $20.... :-D
I've done if before for a few hours.

When I move down there, I'll deal and shuffle on that table for $20.... :-D
I've done if before for a few hours.
So this isn't the first time you've mentioned moving to Atlanta...is that a for real possibility?

So this isn't the first time you've mentioned moving to Atlanta...is that a for real possibility?

It is. The software package that I support is running dry up here. DC has some decent projects, but living down there is too busy and expensive... or commuting from my house is a pain in the ass. Atlanta is still a hotbed for this software, and the amount of work is still good.

I have to do a lot more research in property, schools, commutes, etc...

But yeah. . It's real.

It is. The software package that I support is running dry up here. DC has some decent projects, but living down there is too busy and expensive... or commuting from my house is a pain in the ass. Atlanta is still a hotbed for this software, and the amount of work is still good.

I have to do a lot more research in property, schools, commutes, etc...

But yeah. . It's real.
If I can help you with the search let me know.

DC has some decent projects, but living down there is too busy and expensive... or commuting from my house is a pain in the ass.

Saying the Atlanta commute is better than DC commute is like saying being stung to death by a swarm of Bees is better than being stung to death be a swarm of wasps.

Housing pricing is better here though!

Yeah, having bought two houses in the DC suburbs in 2002 and 2007, lower housing prices in the Atlanta area is not an insignificant tie-breaker.

Plus, Atlanta has The Hitching Post, another not so insignificant tie breaker IMO. (y) :thumbsup:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom