Tales from the Hitching Post (2 Viewers)

Mr Tree

Straight Flush
Reaction score
Thought I'd recreate my regular thread since tonight is tournament four of the Iron Donkey Poker League season 3.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415471028.848018.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415471071.912383.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415471082.400280.jpg

Can I get league points for a DCS win? :p

Can I get league points for a DCS win? :p

Too low a level of difficulty. All you have to do is dodge the two outter from Bergs and wait for Courage's nap time. Half of them are hoping they get eliminated in the first hour so they can go back to flipping for half a grand at SOHE.

Besides you know Pokerchipwidow is going to bounce you and bink it herself

Tom, I came to PCF a long time ago just so I wouldn't have to be continually tortured by your Hitching Post topic in the other forum. And now you're here. And now I see you have an original Larry Csonka jersey, too (I'm originally from South Florida).

Great.

Thanks for that.

:p

Tom, I came to PCF a long time ago just so I wouldn't have to be continually tortured by your Hitching Post topic in the other forum. And now you're here. And now I see you have an original Larry Csonka jersey, too (I'm originally from South Florida).

Great.

Thanks for that.

:p

My father's favorite player! He and my mom used to have season tickets back in '72 and we were raised on Csonka stories.

My father's favorite player! He and my mom used to have season tickets back in '72 and we were raised on Csonka stories.

Two of my favorite all-time interviews are Csonka related.

1) I remember some idiot being interviewed by a relatively knowledgeable sportscaster. Asked about Csonka, the idiot said, "He's slow." Knowledgeable sportscaster replied, "Yeah... he's slow... like a tank."

2) Sportscaster was interviewing Larry Csonka, and noted that Larry didn't have too many fancy moves. Csonka replied with a smile, "Nah... I pretty much just run straight ahead. I hit them. And they remember."

OH... and small world... Key West Dennis's uncle was John Sandusky - Don Shula's offensive coordinator for the Dolphins from around 1976 to 1994 (among other previous history with Shula).

Last edited:
Dave, I binked it tonight. Hope you made some noise at DCS.

Last edited:
Two of my favorite all-time interviews are Csonka related.

1) I remember some idiot being interviewed by a relatively knowledgeable sportscaster. Asked about Csonka, the idiot said, "He's slow." Knowledgeable sportscaster replied, "Yeah... he's slow... like a tank."

2) Sportscaster was interviewing Larry Csonka, and noted that Larry didn't have too many fancy moves. Csonka replied with a smile, "Nah... I pretty much just run straight ahead. I hit them. And they remember."

OH... and small world... Key West Dennis's uncle was John Sandusky - Don Shula's offensive coordinator for the Dolphins from around 1976 to 1994 (among other previous history with Shula).

No way! Dennis is trying to make SATP II so I'll have to ask him about that!

This is not that basement,
this is da basement !

Congratz, it really looks like a local card room, really nice !

Poker Zombie and Redbelly shared where there inspirations came from so I thought I would share mine as well.

The Hitching Post actually owes itself more to my wife than anything else. She is an amazing woman who came into my life in a very dark time and I don't know what I would do without her. Growing up her passion was equestrian. In fact there are no fewer than five pictures of horses in our house.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415668936.765707.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415668947.281962.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415668963.890921.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415668973.299046.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415668984.237248.jpg

And a barn...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415669003.493248.jpg

Also I was already running a poker league called the Iron Donkey Poker League. I had a thought in my head to do a saloon themed poker room and one night when we were all bellied up to the table I remarked that all the donkeys were tied to the hitching post.

Now there is one other piece to the design owed to another special woman in my life. When people look at the Hitching Post logo on first glance they usually think it's a horse tied to the hitching post. On further inspection some of them laugh and think it's a donkey. In truth it is neither. I was VERY specific to J5 about what I wanted in the picture. If you look it is a pack mule, not a horse or a donkey.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415669283.208469.jpg

So why a mule? When I was a child my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer and given about half a year to live. She lived for five. My mother was the most stubborn human being I ever knew. She lived those five years out of sheer obstinance and refusal to leave me and my father until I was a teenager. In fact my mother, who was born in St Louis, had a nickname my father gave her. His Missouri Mule. She hated it, of course, but it was something that stuck with all of us because it was so spot on. So that is why a mule, and not a horse or a donkey, is tied to the hitching post.

The Hitching Post actually owes itself more to my wife than anything else.

First of all, whether you wife really had anything to do with the inspiration for the "Hitching Post" or not... WELL PLAYED!

Second, on a more serious note, thanks for sharing the story about your Mom. It sounds like she was a special woman, and that you were lucky to have each other.

I would love to make the trip back east to Atlanta in April, and if I can swing it between some other events in April, I certainly will, and will confirm as soon as I'm able. If I make it, I will do my best not to pocket some of those cash set chips, but I make no promises!

First of all, whether you wife really had anything to do with the inspiration for the "Hitching Post" or not... WELL PLAYED!

Second, on a more serious note, thanks for sharing the story about your Mom. It sounds like she was a special woman, and that you were lucky to have each other.

I would love to make the trip back east to Atlanta in April, and if I can swing it between some other events in April, I certainly will, and will confirm as soon as I'm able. If I make it, I will do my best not to pocket some of those cash set chips, but I make no promises!

If you're going to pocket a chip, buy in and then pocket some hundos! They did tie for third in the CT greatest custom chip of all time thread. In fact, I think you should buy in for at least $500 in all hundos and sneak out with them :)

I love it when people's poker set-ups have a back story, but I don't know that I've read one as beautiful as yours. The reason for you using a mule instead of a horse or donkey is incredible, and is truly inspirational.

I often thought it looked like a mule. Just south of me is an annual "Mule Day" festival in a tiny hick town, so I've learned the differences to look less "Yankee" if the topic ever came up. Now I know it was intentional...

...and beautiful.

BBO has a nice Black Friday sale going. 10% off tables plus free graphic. If you are like me and have a graphic on all your tables this is a big discount. Buying three Aces Pro 10 player tables for S@PII.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416938649.374096.jpg

[emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom