table spec check before order (1 Viewer)

lewan

Flush
Reaction score
going to be ordering a table in the coming days.
was thinking octagonal or circular. 4ft-4.5ft diameter.
i'm leaning more towards octagonal.

we usually play 6 handed, maximum 8. we're all slim guys

does everything sound about right?

I'd go the 4.5 ft. I prefer circular but there's nothing wrong with an octogon if your max is 8. With a circle the 6 of you would have a bit more room.

I'd go the 4.5 ft. I prefer circular but there's nothing wrong with an octogon if your max is 8. With a circle the 6 of you would have a bit more room.
yeah i like the way octagons look. its also gonna have folding legs and i read somewhere octagons are more sturdy with folding legs than circular ones

I have a 52 inch octagon, which is fine, personal space-wise. You're still a little far from the center - sometimes I find myself standing up to drag pots. If I measure it corner to corner, it's 56 inches, so I think that's the size circle I'd need to have the same amount of space per person? And that would be even worse for dragging pots.

I have a 52 inch octagon, which is fine, personal space-wise. You're still a little far from the center - sometimes I find myself standing up to drag pots. If I measure it corner to corner, it's 56 inches, so I think that's the size circle I'd need to have the same amount of space per person? And that would be even worse for dragging pots.
so would you say going for 48" would be better or are you happy with your size?

would additionally love to see a photo of your table :)

so would you say going for 48" would be better or are you happy with your size?

would additionally love to see a photo of your table :)
I wouldn't advise you to go any smaller, because I'm not sure how much elbow room you'd lose that way. If you were going with the circle, because you're usually playing 6 handed, then I'd say sure, go for it, you can just be crowded it it ever gets up to 7 or 8. But with an octagon, I just don't know - I'd want to test anything smaller with a table full of guys, before I'd say it would be comfortable.
My octagon is a backup, and it's just a top I put on the kitchen table, but I'll see if there are any pictures here.

Edit: There's one here, with some other posts that might be helpful:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/who-uses-an-octagon-how-big.27456/

I wouldn't advise you to go any smaller, because I'm not sure how much elbow room you'd lose that way. If you were going with the circle, because you're usually playing 6 handed, then I'd say sure, go for it, you can just be crowded it it ever gets up to 7 or 8. But with an octagon, I just don't know - I'd want to test anything smaller with a table full of guys, before I'd say it would be comfortable.
My octagon is a backup, and it's just a top I put on the kitchen table, but I'll see if there are any pictures here.

Edit: There's one here, with some other posts that might be helpful:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/who-uses-an-octagon-how-big.27456/
thanks, reading through this. so would you say going circular gives you a little more space than octagonal?

It depends on the measurement of the octagon. A 54" octagon from corner to corner is smaller than a 54" octagon measured from the straight ends. Both would be bigger than a round table with the same diameter, but the 54" from corner to corner would be the largest.

thanks, reading through this. so would you say going circular gives you a little more space than octagonal?
No, I would say an octagon gives you more space per person for whatever maximum diameter you choose. But that extra space is only useful when you have 8 players. As soon as you move down to 7 players on an octagon, you're wasting an entire "station" of space. When you go down to 7 players on a circle, everybody can spread out a bit and have more space per person.
I'm not saying one is better than the other in general, I'm just saying that if you have 8 players an octagon is definitely better than a circle, and if you have 6 players, a circle is definitely better than an octagon. Referring only to personal elbow-room space.

No, I would say an octagon gives you more space per person for whatever maximum diameter you choose. But that extra space is only useful when you have 8 players. As soon as you move down to 7 players on an octagon, you're wasting an entire "station" of space. When you go down to 7 players on a circle, everybody can spread out a bit and have more space per person.
I'm not saying one is better than the other in general, I'm just saying that if you have 8 players an octagon is definitely better than a circle, and if you have 6 players, a circle is definitely better than an octagon. Referring only to personal elbow-room space.
But @T_Chan , above, is literally a master table builder, so his answers should always be read first.

well sounds like a circle would be better for me then, since more often than not we are 6 handed. i'm gonna probably go for a WSOP themed table

Circular is the ideal shape for iinteracting, be it discussion or cards games. Its only disadvantage is that it gets too large to accommodate 8 players (or more).
It's perfectly flexible and adaptable to the number of players (up to its maximum capacity).

At a diameter of 140mm (a little more than 4.5 feet) you can have marginally decent seating for 8, royal seating for 7 and imperial seating for 6.

Unless I knew for a fact all 8 guys were going to be at every game I ever hosted a round table is infinitely better than an octagon table. You can't spread out on an octagon like you can a round table when you go from 8 to 7 to 6 players.

Round for me. Why go with a shape made for a certain number of people when you rarely have that number of people? Size wise, I have a 58" round that I consider perfect for 7 players, and fine for 8 players, but a little tighter than optimal. No issues at all reaching pots. For you, I would not go below 56" round, but I prefer comfort. Is your room big enough for a bigger table? If your room fits the table okay, then I would always go bigger for more comfort. However you decide to go, good luck with the new table!

was thinking octagonal or circular. 4ft-4.5ft diameter.
Unless you always played with 8 guys, Circular is the supreme choice and it more versatile compare to Octagonal as there will be empty space not fully utilised

I got a 49 inches round table and it can fitted up to 8 person per table no problem

It depends on the measurement of the octagon. A 54" octagon from corner to corner is smaller than a 54" octagon measured from the straight ends. Both would be bigger than a round table with the same diameter, but the 54" from corner to corner would be the largest.

While you can't get one of his tables right now, you know this guy also does custom felt, for most all of the community, if you're doing a Theme'd table this is where the kewl kids get their customs.

While you can't get one of his tables right now, you know this guy also does custom felt, for most all of the community, if you're doing a Theme'd table this is where the kewl kids get their customs.
Company im going for do custom felt and are 40 miles away. Canada is… a little further…

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom